Author Topic: porting analogue number to ISDN  (Read 3263 times)

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
porting analogue number to ISDN
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:28:43 AM »
Hi,

When our 5000 was installed, we already had our number range (for example 0207 444 1001 to 1099) and a few random numbers all coming in on the ISDN line. Then the engineer set up forwarding of some numbers to an inbound fax server. For example

0207 444 1002 goes to fax
0207 444 1006 goes to fax

I'm no engineer, but it looks like the setup is this...

CLI shows 0207 444 1002  "ring-in destination" being a phantom extension called 1002. This extension has a forwarding path set to a hunt group. The hunt group members are three 'single line'  extension numbers, the address column shows a unique address such as 01:11:04:01 (presume this is some sort of hardware address).

I want to sweep up the remaining analogue lines we have, which are connected to fax machines and throw these down the ISDN line too. Our comms company is making those arrangements but I need to setup the mitel side of it.

Questions
1. Do I need to program these new extensions somewhere in the phone system?
2. I can add a new CLI entry, but will need to point this to a new phantom extension. When I create a new phantom extension I only see the list of numbers we already have. Hence my question above.

Hope all this makes sense?? It confuses me!

Replies much appreciated.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
Re: porting analogue number to ISDN
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
The only place you need to deal with these new numbers is in your DID tables, called CALL ROUTING TABLES in the 5000.  Go to SYSTEM/TRUNK-RELATED INFORMATION/CALL ROUTING TABLES and find yours.  Hopefully named "MAIN PRI" or something else self-explanatory.  May have 2 tables, one for day and one for night.  If you have night it may have all numbers in it or may have only exceptions (numbers treated differently at night) with any other numbers handled by a "+" entry that sends any other digits back to day.
In the table you will see entries for each DID number the carrier is sending.  Carrier may be sending only last 3 digits, last 4 digits or even all 10 digits...see what's in the table already, format your adds same way.  Each number can route to ANY extension destination (phone, hunt group, auto att, recording), no phantoms needed; unlike most systems, 5000HX can send DID 1234 to ext 567 or anything else in the system.

By the way, something else unique about 5000HX is that it can also route by caller ID, even on a call also routed by DID.  So, call comes in on sales DID...system then looks a caller ID number to route to proper rep based on area code or even specific numbers (my million dollar customer always rings me first).

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
WallIT,

Dwayneg answered your question just fine, but I would like to clarify something so we know why they did what they did originally.

You have a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) Line or an Analogue number as you put it coming into a Trunk Group. That Trunk Group is pointed to a phantom extension 1002 that rings immediately to a Hunt Group that has 3 analog extension in it that are answered by one of three fax machines.

Two things jump out at me right away. Unless the Hunt Group has the Analog Voicemail box checked there is no need for the phantom port. If it does have it checked then most likely the 3 analog lines go to a fax server that routes based on digits provides; in this case 1002. If this is the case then just set up your new DID/DDI to route to 1002 and you are good.

If the Hunt Group doesn't have the Analog Voicemail box checked then does it matter which fax machine the call goes to or is this really just a fax server with 3 ports? If this is the case then just route the DID/DDI straight to the Hunt Group extension number and free up the extension used by the phantom ports.

To make sure that you get to the right Call Routing Table look in your Trunk Groups first to see which one handles your ISDN line and then see which table it routes to during day and which one during night.

Thanks,

TE

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:34:16 AM »
Thanks TE and Dwayneg,

In my Call Routing Table (I do indeed have one labelled Day and another labelled Night). I have all my DID's listed, which are the last 6 digits. I added the new number which is being ported in. The ring in destination, for the time being, is NONE.

For the hunt group, the setting 'Analogue Voice Mail Hunt Group' is set to YES. TE, in your post you say "If this is the case then just set up your new DID/DDI to route to 1002 and you are good." In our case, 1002 is a phantom extension. But if 1002 is already an existing DDI pointing to a phantom extension, will that not conflict? What I mean is, if someone sent a fax to ...1002 and it was in the middle of receiving that, and another fax came in on the new number I'm adding, it would try extension 1002, and would it be busy or available?

If available, then why not just have a single phantom extension and point all the DID fax numbers to that?

You are correct about the fax server, which is setup to detect the last few digits and route faxes to various email addresses based on those digits. The fax server has 3 ports on the back. The hunt group members are three analogue lines.

Somewhat related is the fax server only ever seems to pickup on one of the 3 lines. If another fax comes in it gives a busy tone. I thought with 3 lines going in it would load balance across those? The fax server is a FaxFinder 440. I'm sure the problem is the Mitel end, not the fax server end.

Thanks and I appreciate your time on this.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »
WallIT,

I hope you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to convey. Your setup is a simple one so don't try to over think it.

Let me explain what is happening so you can manage the customers setup better. So what is happening is that the phantom port is providing routing digits for the fax finder to route on. The hunt group having analog voicemail checked is how the digits are gathered and presented to the fax finder when it answers.

Now if you are porting over POTS line to your ISDN circuit you need to take the last 4 digits and create a phantom port using those digits if you can. If that is not possible that is ok too, but it makes it easy to follow if you can. Whatever phantom port extension number you create is what will be used to route the call within the fax finder as well.

Hopefully you know how to create the user and routes within the fax finder, but if not I can give you instruction on that as well.

As for your problem with getting busy signals you will need to look at your hunt group setup and analog port configuration in order for us to help with that. The fax finder should be set up the same on all 3 ports, but you can look at that under the fax configuration tab.

Hopefully that clears this up a little better.

Thanks,

TE

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
Hi TE,

Thanks again for the speedy reply. Having followed your excellent explanation, I'm getting stuck creating the phantom extension. When I attempt to create it, I get a drop down list of possible extensions but don't see the number I just added to the Call Routing Table. There are what seems like hundreds of extensions available, none of which I recognise and only a few appear related to the numbers I see in the CRT.

Can I override this list and force a number in? Or am I missing something?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
WallIT,

Most likely the number or a form of it is used somewhere. You may be able to free it up with some work if you want to try.

If you are not comfortable trying the n just pick any available number and us e that for your routing.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10