Author Topic: Best practices as a telecom administrator  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Mikey0

• View Profile
Best practices as a telecom administrator
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
I'm a newbie admin but i've been dealing with my companies Mitel phone system for a while now. I pose these questions to all of you more seasoned admins and anyone with an opinion. I'm running a 5000 HX in 3 different locations with IP and digital phones.

What are some of your best practices when dealing with day to day phone system administration?
How do you stay on top of the last releases/software versions for your system as i'm told Mitel doesn't have any sort of mailing list to notify about this?
What are some common headaches you guys notice and how do you deal with them?

I look forward to hearing from all of you, hopefully this can be a great discussion.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Best practices as a telecom administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
Day to day administration is usually easy... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Make changes and updates to the system configuration only as needed, and backup prior to any "significant" change (anything more than a name or password change). Otherwise, scheduled monthly backups are about all the maintenance needed.

As far as updates to the system go, unless something is broke or specific feature is needed, annually updating to the latest release is usually sufficient. Make sure to maintain your software assurance, if it lapses, there is a premium renewal charge.

Mitel's generally require very little to no "day to day" maintenance, especially in the modern days of IP phones, you can just move them at will with virtually no headaches.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »
There is a mailing list that informs you of changes or introductions of documentation, you can be pretty sure when a new releases documentation comes out the software will be available for download!

Offline Mikey0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. How can get on that mailing list for updates? My sales reps/engineer didn't seem to know anything about that, and my boss thinks im crazy when I say they tell me there is nothing.... i'd like to not be considered crazy lol.

My day to day I check the History logs on the nodes in the morning, look for anything funny, occasionally check T1 diagnostics, overall it's usually not a pain to deal with. Sadly I have no way to get the systems to notify me if errors occur unless im sitting there watching the live output log from S. A. D.

My company runs an in house call center which is why it's important i keep an eye on my systems everyday. I could probably adopt a schedule backup scheme like you mentioned, and usually I do tend to go with if it aint broke don't fix it lol.

Thanks again for your feedback guys, Can one of you point me in the direction of that mailing list?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
I'm currently a system admin guy. I started as a certified technician with an Inter-Tel Platinum Business Partner, then went to work as the in-house admin for the company's largest customer. The jobs are very different.

Right now, I have 49 networked sites and a handful of non-networked sites. By year's end, I'll have maybe a dozen new sites, and most of the stand-alone sites will be upgraded. While my operation is somewhat larger, I'll offer some suggestions.

First, document the crap out of everything. I posted some forms that I use in another thread here. The model of every endpoint, the cable number it's connected to, every CO line and circuit number, flow charts documenting all call routing, the model and serial number of all hardware. Back this up with photos.

Putting this documentation together is a project, but will save an incredible amount of time when problems occur. Walking an off-site end-user through rebooting a piece of hardware while you're reading your notes and looking at the photo is the payoff. I once had someone ask if I had a webcam in the closet because my directions were so good!

Perform frequent backups, or schedule automatic ones. All my systems have scheduled DB and voice backups done weekly. Any major programming changes warrant an immediate manual backup. Have a system crash once without a good backup and you will become a true believer.

Second, learn as much as you can about how everything works. When a VP throws some off-the-wall idea at you, you should be able to form an intelligent assessment if it will work. After all, that's your job.

Third, have one or two people at each site be a "super user". Make them responsible for reporting troubles, requesting changes and training new users. There is no way I could allow hundreds of employees to call me directly.

Finally, maintain a relationship with your vendor. They should be your partner in keeping your company's systems up to date. Meet with them often enough so they can keep you informed of feature enhancements. I maintain hardware service contracts for all my sites, but that's a personal choice.

Remember, your vendor is in business to make a buck and they need to pay their employees as well. Buy your phones and parts from them, as opposed to shopping on-line. Saving a few bucks may come back to bite you when something goes belly-up on a weekend or holiday and you're looking for service.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01:56 AM »
To regsiter for updates you need a Mitel Online account. Under Home / Support / Technical Support, on this page theres a link called Register / Cancel Email notifications.

Or clicking this link may work: http://domino1.mitel.com/mol/mol.nsf/TechReg

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »
I'm currently a system admin guy. I started as a certified technician with an Inter-Tel Platinum Business Partner, then went to work as the in-house admin for the company's largest customer. The jobs are very different.

Right now, I have 49 networked sites and a handful of non-networked sites. By year's end, I'll have maybe a dozen new sites, and most of the stand-alone sites will be upgraded. While my operation is somewhat larger, I'll offer some suggestions.

First, document the crap out of everything. I posted some forms that I use in another thread here. The model of every endpoint, the cable number it's connected to, every CO line and circuit number, flow charts documenting all call routing, the model and serial number of all hardware. Back this up with photos.

Putting this documentation together is a project, but will save an incredible amount of time when problems occur. Walking an off-site end-user through rebooting a piece of hardware while you're reading your notes and looking at the photo is the payoff. I once had someone ask if I had a webcam in the closet because my directions were so good!

Perform frequent backups, or schedule automatic ones. All my systems have scheduled DB and voice backups done weekly. Any major programming changes warrant an immediate manual backup. Have a system crash once without a good backup and you will become a true believer.

Second, learn as much as you can about how everything works. When a VP throws some off-the-wall idea at you, you should be able to form an intelligent assessment if it will work. After all, that's your job.

Third, have one or two people at each site be a "super user". Make them responsible for reporting troubles, requesting changes and training new users. There is no way I could allow hundreds of employees to call me directly.

Finally, maintain a relationship with your vendor. They should be your partner in keeping your company's systems up to date. Meet with them often enough so they can keep you informed of feature enhancements. I maintain hardware service contracts for all my sites, but that's a personal choice.

Remember, your vendor is in business to make a buck and they need to pay their employees as well. Buy your phones and parts from them, as opposed to shopping on-line. Saving a few bucks may come back to bite you when something goes belly-up on a weekend or holiday and you're looking for service.
Wow!!! I wish every customer put this much thought, effort, and consideration into this.

DND ON... I think I love you!!!  ;D

Offline Mikey0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, really good feedback and ideas there. DND On I'll be looking for those documents you mentioned, i've been considering creating at least a flow chart of all my routing and applications for a while now yet every time I begin it I let myself become overwhelmed by the thought of just how i'm going to lay it all out in a meaningful fashion.

I have a MiRequest account on the Mitel site I'll log in and look for those settings you provided. Thanks for all the great discussion and input so far guys!

and DND On, much respect for you, but I have another question. Do you by chance know of an easier way to replicate keymaps and Account codes from node to node? Currently I have to manually connect to all 3 sites and add my change into each one, just curious if i'm doing it right or if you might know of an easier way as I can only imagine your pain when having to deal with that.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Here's the thread with the link to the forms: http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,3247.0.html

Unfortunately, all programming is done on the specific node.

Offline Mikey0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
Ack that's no good, I feel your pain in regards to that, I wonder why they didn't provide that ability.

Additional question. In regards to system monitoring, how do you guys handle that? do you pull history logs every day or so? constantly run a S.A.D connection and check live out put? or do you have a 3rd party system to listen for and notify you of problems? things like a T1 experiencing issues or even gone down?

I'm really curious about this one :)

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
V6 will email you with alarm updates i'm lead to believe.

You could also set your phone to be an Administrator and any alarms will be shown on your display.

If anything goes down i'm sure a user will let you know quickly enough!  ;)

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Yes, version 6 will email alarms.

A simple, down and dirty way to monitor off-node alarms is to enable their system flag Send Network Alarms. Set your local node to Receive Network alarms. Of course, any other admin phone at your node will see them as well.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10