Author Topic: MWI light on Panasonic Cordless on ASU-II not lighting.  (Read 1568 times)

Offline bcmitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
MWI light on Panasonic Cordless on ASU-II not lighting.
« on: June 13, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »
Mitel 3300 with ASU-II's, ONS with Panasonic KX-TGM470 cordless set.

Currently trying to get message light working on a Panasonic cordless set.  When I leave a message at that extension, the message light does not come on but does flash when the phone is ringing.  There is broken dial tone indicating voicemail. 

The message light works reliably on an NEC corded set plugged in to that extension. 

The phone is a Panasonic KX-TGM470 and is supposed to work with customer voicemail systems.

I’ve gone through the manual for the phone and made sure that the voicemail indicator is turned on.

Testing so far:
-- Answering machine off (per instructions from Panasonic).
-- Menu #331 Programmed VM access number.
-- Menu #332 turn vm tone detection either off or on.  P.59 says turn off if connected to a PBX.  Also tried with it on.
-- Menu #278 verify message indicator for New VM is on.  Also tried turning off all other message indicators.
-- Changed batteries, phone cord.
-- Light works on NEC set.

I don't know if the Panasonic cordless is defective or if there is something special I need to configure in the 3300. 

Any suggestions?

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MWI light on Panasonic Cordless on ASU-II not lighting.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »
On the 3300 Users and Devices > Advanced Configuration > Analog Telephones

Make sure your Circuit Descriptors Index for that extension in Analog Sets points to an ONS/OPS Circuit Descriptors (also in the Analog Telephones areas) that has a "Message Waiting Lamp" value set to "YES"

Offline bcmitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
On the 3300 Users and Devices > Advanced Configuration > Analog Telephones

Make sure your Circuit Descriptors Index for that extension in Analog Sets points to an ONS/OPS Circuit Descriptors (also in the Analog Telephones areas) that has a "Message Waiting Lamp" value set to "YES"

Thanks for posting.

I have the local in Circ. Desc. Index 2 which, in ONS/OPS Circuit Descriptors, has Message Waiting Lamp set to yes.

It works when I connect an NEC set with a message lamp but not for a Panasonic cordless with a message light which according to the manual, can be used with PBX voicemail.

???

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 03:38:49 AM »
There are different ways to light a MWI. e.g. 90v or polarity reversal...

You may need to see what it is expecting.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »
Almost all consumer phones, like the Panasonic cordless in question, require CLASS message waiting indication like from a Telco CO Voicemail system. Essentially it is sent in the same format as Caller ID in an FSK Bell 202 message on signal is sent to the device, which sees it and turns on the MWI, after the VM is cleared the CO sends another FSK Bell 202 signal to turn off the message light.

I don't believe this type of MWI is supported in the 3300, although some other PBX systems do.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:59:17 AM by acejavelin »

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 05:01:10 AM »
If you're desperate for MWI then you could plug it into a SIP ATA.

Offline bcmitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
Almost all consumer phones, like the Panasonic cordless in question, require CLASS message waiting indication like from a Telco CO Voicemail system. Essentially it is sent in the same format as Caller ID in an FSK Bell 202 message on signal is sent to the device, which sees it and turns on the MWI, after the VM is cleared the CO sends another FSK Bell 202 signal to turn off the message light.

I don't believe this type of MWI is supported in the 3300, although some other PBX systems do.

Thanks, that makes sense.  I don't know why that information is so hard to find in the 3300 help files I have.  I measured the voltage when the NEC message light was flashing and it is obviously DC powered.  I would have thought the 3300 would contain modern FSK signalling, it has call display which works through the asu-II's, is this sent via a different (proprietary?) method?  I thought call display used FSK?

Offline bcmitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »
If you're desperate for MWI then you could plug it into a SIP ATA.

Interesting idea, do you have a model you've used before?  The downside is we'd then have to buy an additional SIP license.

I also looked into standalone MWI lights but the ones I've found aren't CSA or ULc which we need to meet internal company standards.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 10:25:10 AM »

Thanks, that makes sense.  I don't know why that information is so hard to find in the 3300 help files I have.  I measured the voltage when the NEC message light was flashing and it is obviously DC powered.  I would have thought the 3300 would contain modern FSK signalling, it has call display which works through the asu-II's, is this sent via a different (proprietary?) method?  I thought call display used FSK?
It does use it for Caller ID, but not for Message Waiting. The FSK method is almost exclusively for CO voicemail.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline bcmitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
Can anyone tell me if this http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1592.0 applies to this situation?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
Can anyone tell me if this http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1592.0 applies to this situation?
Actually, yes it should... It appears the 3300 supports Class MWI

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 04:45:51 AM »
Interesting idea, do you have a model you've used before?  The downside is we'd then have to buy an additional SIP license.

I have a Panasonic cordless and I know for a fact that it worked with a Cisco SPA3102. That died and I replaced it with a Grandstream HT801 but I haven't had any voicemails since then so am not sure if it does.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10