Author Topic: Clocking errors  (Read 3476 times)

Offline evan631

• View Profile
Clocking errors
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
We have been having some voice quality issues and connection issues on some of our 3300's.  If placing a call sometimes they caller will have to dial 3 times for the call to go through.

We've reached out to our provider and they come back everytime and say they see clocking errors and timing slips all day.

We I run the command DTSTAT READ 3 1 2 1 last 24 I sometimes see  a few framing losses throughout our day....is this what they are speaking of?  And how do I fix?  Do I just need to set Network sync to one of our PLIDs?  I see that form is blank, and I seem to remember something like this a while back.

Thanks for your help!

-Evan

Universal T1          3 1  3  1                                                 
Link is Available                                                               
         duty                             bit                                   
         cycle       framing              error                                 
Time     (%)         losses     slips     rate                                 
------------------------------------------------                               
 8:53    100            1           0         0                                 
 8:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 7:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 6:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 5:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 4:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 3:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 2:00    100            1           0         0                                 
 1:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 0:00    100            0           0         0                                 
23:00    100            0           0         0                                 
22:00    100            1           0         0                                 
21:00    100            0           0         0                                 
20:00    100            0           0         0                                 
19:00    100            0           0         0                                 
18:00    100            0           0         0                                 
17:00    100            0           0         0                                 
16:00    100            0           0         0                                 
15:00    100            0           0         0                                 
14:00    100            0           0         0                                 
13:00    100            0           0         0                                 
12:00    100            0           0         0                                 
11:00    100            0           0         0                                 
10:00    100            0           0         0                                 
 9:00    100            0           0         0   

Offline PC77375

• View Profile
Re: Clocking errors
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »
Take a look at Ralph's resolution to setting clocking source here:

http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=2651.0

Let us know how it goes!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
Just an FYI... the issues you are reporting
We have been having some voice quality issues and connection issues on some of our 3300's.  If placing a call sometimes they caller will have to dial 3 times for the call to go through.

We've reached out to our provider and they come back everytime and say they see clocking errors and timing slips all day.

We I run the command DTSTAT READ 3 1 2 1 last 24 I sometimes see  a few framing losses throughout our day....is this what they are speaking of?  And how do I fix?  Do I just need to set Network sync to one of our PLIDs?  I see that form is blank, and I seem to remember something like this a while back.

Thanks for your help!

-Evan

Link is Available                                                               
There is nothing in this that would cause the issues you describe, I would say this T1 is running pretty clean. One framing loss per hour is negligible.

Offline evan631

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
Just an FYI... the issues you are reporting

Thanks for your help!

-Evan

Link is Available                                                               
There is nothing in this that would cause the issues you describe, I would say this T1 is running pretty clean. One framing loss per hour is negligible.

Thanks this give me some relief. 

When a provider (Windstream) says they see clocking errors all day what exactly does this mean?  Would those issues be the cause of our problems?  I just ran a netsync summary is  77% an issue?

Time    |     | single | phase | control |                                 
start  end  | act |  hits  | shifts| range % | sync sources used               
------------+-----+--------+-------+---------+------------------               
09:21 09:50 | ACT |     0  |    0  | 77 - 77 | 1                               
04:21 09:21 | ACT |     0  |    0  | 77 - 77 | 1                               

Thanks again!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
Under Trunks - Digital - Network Synchronization do you have your T1's PLID set as the first clocking source?

What is the output of  NETSYNC STATE in maintenance commands?

Offline evan631

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
Under Trunks - Digital - Network Synchronization do you have your T1's PLID set as the first clocking source?

Sure do!  This is our second PRI...I wanted to see if there was a difference between them.  Should I have both PRIs listed?

|  Sync Source     |   Sync Source                                         
 No. |    Location      |      Status                                           
-----+------------------+------------------                                     
  1  |  3  1  3  1      |   sync source                                         

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »

Sure do!  This is our second PRI...I wanted to see if there was a difference between them.  Should I have both PRIs listed?

Do you have both listed in Network Synchronization? List the one with the lowest stratum clock level first if from different carriers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline evan631

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:46:23 AM »
Only one PRI is set for the Sync.

Both PRIs are from the same provider, so I didn't think it would make a difference to have both. Should I still have both listed?  When you mention list the lowest stratum level clock...don't really know what that means.

How can I find clocking errors on our system?  I figure it's under the dstat command but not seeing anything significant.

Thanks again!

Do you have both listed in Network Synchronization? List the one with the lowest stratum clock level first if from different carriers.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »

Both PRIs are from the same provider, so I didn't think it would make a difference to have both. Should I still have both listed?  When you mention list the lowest stratum level clock...don't really know what that means.

How can I find clocking errors on our system?  I figure it's under the dstat command but not seeing anything significant.

Thanks again!
Yes, both PLIDs should be listed in Network Synchronization... The "stratum" thing shouldn't be relevant since both are from the same provider, since they are both from the same provider, the order shouldn't matter.

Clocking errors are timing errors, they can be caused by a lot of things. My first thing would be to verify that the Mitel is using NTP to good, external source... We have had issues using ntp.org on some systems, we often use our own (we are also an ISP) or time.google.com

Offline evan631

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »
Thank you again for your reply.  I will add the second PRI in the net sync.

As for NTP we are pointing to our domain controller which points to a good source.  So I don't think the issue is there.

Thanks again!
Yes, both PLIDs should be listed in Network Synchronization... The "stratum" thing shouldn't be relevant since both are from the same provider, since they are both from the same provider, the order shouldn't matter.

Clocking errors are timing errors, they can be caused by a lot of things. My first thing would be to verify that the Mitel is using NTP to good, external source... We have had issues using ntp.org on some systems, we often use our own (we are also an ISP) or time.google.com

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Are these pure TDM (feed on copper pairs) or SIP PRIs (from an Adtran or Cisco type device fees by IP connection)?

We have seen these issues where the carrier doesn't set their sip gateway as the "master" clock source.

After adding the new Net sync source, toggle it to freerun, wait a minute, and then set it back to auto.

Offline evan631

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
Are these pure TDM (feed on copper pairs) or SIP PRIs (from an Adtran or Cisco type device fees by IP connection)?

We have seen these issues where the carrier doesn't set their sip gateway as the "master" clock source.

After adding the new Net sync source, toggle it to freerun, wait a minute, and then set it back to auto.

There are pure PRIs.  No SIP.

I am setting the new net sync sources now...keep you posted!

I really appreciate the help Ace!  thanks!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10