Author Topic: 5330 Firmware Issues  (Read 10412 times)

Offline aam

• Contributer
    • View Profile
5330 Firmware Issues
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:09:55 PM »
I’ve done a lot of reading on the Mitel Forums but I’m a bit out of my depth and just can’t quite get a Mitel 5330 to do what I want. Prior to this I knew very little about Mitel and nearly everything I have learnt so far I have gleaned from here :). Thank you to everyone who have participated.

So, I’ve got a Mitel 5330 in SIP mode that I want to use as a stand-alone device at home connected to a SIP provider called Sipgate.

Following all the valuable information and the linked files in http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=2800.0 I have managed to upgrade the firmware to:

Main: 05.02.01.05
Boot: 05.01.00.17
L2Boot: 06.01.00.09
DSP: 3.0.0.20

I have full access to the web gui and I am able to configure it. It shows I’m on SIP firmware R8.0.05.02.01.05

When I populate the various Sipgate setting the phone works correctly but then after a while it starts to flash “No Reg” in the top right corner. If I reboot, it works again for a while then “No Reg” comes back. I’ve tried every combination of setting I can think of including setting Sipgate’s STUN server as I’m behind a NAT connection, but whatever I do “No Reg” comes back after a while and I lose connection.

I tried the same settings on a Grandstream phone and it’s remained connected.

I thought I’d try upgrading the firmware on the 5330 to get a newer version of Boot and Main etc so I connected to dikie’s MBG as mentioned in another post that he has kindly made available to use. I managed to upgrade to:

Main: 06.03.03.10
Boot: 06.04.01.02
DSP: 3.0.0.21

However with this version there is no longer any web gui for SIP mode so I can’t configure anything as I reset the device and all of the setting. Also the settings menu options available via the Superkey are missing. I tried reinstalling it a couple of times more but with no success in fixing the issues. I can ping the phone and even telnet to it. 

So I decided to put the older version back using Tftp running on my PC and it was back to as it was. I configured it again via the web gui and it worked again but still flipped to “No Reg” after a while.

I then decided to try upgrading to the newer version again using the option in the web gui but this time I did not reset the settings to default. I’m now back to the newer version with the bow tie logo, still don’t have the web interface or settings under Superkey, but as the SIP settings are still there from before I’m able to use the phone. However, now it no longer gives the “No Reg” error and has remained connected (so far). 

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do next?

Thanks,
Al.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:18:29 PM by aam »

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5330 Firmware Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
does it work at all before the *no reg*? can you make outgoing and incoming calls?

if so, then it sounds like your nat f/w is dropping the bindings and you need to either use tcp transport, if your provider supports it, or you can set the registration timeout to some small value (like 120 seconds) in the advanced features panel.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
Gotta agree with dilkie on the troubleshooting, if it is registering and then dropping, the most likely cause is your firewall/router.

But when it comes to Mitel 5200/5300 series phones in SIP mode, I'm gonna be very honest and blunt here... I don't mean to offend people, but here is my two cents on this, take this from a VoIP engineer who has almost 30 years in this industry and my primary focus over the last few years has been working with Broadsoft SIP servers, specifically in product testing and standardizing deployment procedures. I have seen a LOT of SIP devices and configured and deployed more than I can count.

Mitel's MiNet phones should not be used in SIP mode... period... Not to mean they are bad phones, they are fantastic on a Mitel phone system in their intended role, but Mitel has not done anything with SIP on this devices since 2009. I could go on and on about security, features, blah blah, and how they are not good SIP devices, but that isn't really important to some people.

The point is, why fight with them? You can literally buy a brand new, fully supported SIP device for so little it's not worth spending time to try to get this to work... You can literally get phones like a Yealink T20 for $35, brand new... or save $10-15 and buy one refurbished with a warranty, and if you need more features you can move up significantly for another $10 or $30. Every modern SIP platform out there supports them, and you can just go to Yealink's website and download the latest firmware, or any firmware, anytime you want.

Don't get me wrong, I an a huge Mitel fanboy, but they have their place... But it isn't in making old phones work on SIP servers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:41:16 PM by acejavelin »

Offline aam

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
It works fine, calls in and out, before the “No Reg”. I also did try various short timeouts for the registration but it didn’t help.

What’s interesting is that it’s been working consistently for a number of hours without losing registration using the one with the version 6 Main (the one without the gui but with the inherited configuration from the earlier version). With the earlier version it would go to “No Reg” in 20 mins or so whatever I did.

I probably agree that I should use something else for SIP, but it seems a bit of a challenge now.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:49:28 PM by aam »

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
What I have done is to flash back to v4 then the latest version of MCD 7. I added a Grandstream UCM6202 to my bench and have my 5330's connecting to it, I did have to make the phones static addressed to get them working properly. The UCM is pretty cool, have one pots line connected and the other is Google Voice via an Obitalk. Still learning this, but the options I've seen so far makes the inwestment worthwhile.

Offline aam

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 04:26:11 AM »
The 5330 no longer seems to have the issue with "No Reg" appearing and the web gui is working again. I'm using 06.00.00.16:

Main: 06.00.00.16
Boot: 05.02.02.01
L2Boot: 04.00.02.04
DSP: 3.0.0.20

The only things missing are the multiple, yet slightly limited, admin configuration menu settings I could previously access using the Superkey / Menu / Application button to carry out various configuration options without having to use the web interface. I wonder if it's been depreciated or if it has to be enabled?

BTW: The UCM6202 and the rest of the UCM6200 series looks very interesting. If you consider how many features it has and not requiring licensing fees it's relatively cheap. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:32:52 AM by aam »

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »
I agree with AceJavelin, the sip firmware is very old and hasn't been supported for years. In fact, the latest f/w for the 53xx phones has disabled the internal web server (due to security issues) and makes it pretty hard to configure in sip mode.

Offline aam

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
In fact, the latest f/w for the 53xx phones has disabled the internal web server (due to security issues) and makes it pretty hard to configure in sip mode.
Ah, that explains that then. I will use Yealink and maybe Grandstream, gifting the 5330 to someone using MiNet.

Thanks.   

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
yeah, that one caught me by surprise too... Since I use my 53xx's in a lab enviro just to use as sip devices, I put the last version of the f/w with the web server enabled up on a public tftp server so I could keep using the sets instead of throwing them out. Version 6.3.0.7, if anyone cares.

PM me and I'll give you the ip.

Offline aam

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »
I wonder if they’ll fix it at some point of if that’s it for the web gui and SIP.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »
My 5330's are running

Main: 06.03.02.07
Boot: 06.04.00.03
DSP: 3.0.0.21

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
sorry... typo on my part.

the version is 6.3.3.7, not 6.3.0.7.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
and no, I doubt it'll be fixed. The sip interface in the 69xx sets is WAY better (it's the Aastra sip phone).

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
@dilkie

So you are running an 8 version prior to the web access block?

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »
note sure what you are asking/refering to.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10