Author Topic: Add a new line  (Read 2271 times)

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Add a new line
« on: April 11, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
I am an IT tech that has a client with a Mitel 5000. I only have experience with an AllWorx system. This customer had three phone lines at one time operating. They downsized to only two active phone lines. Their technician at the time disabled the third phone line. We would now like to set up the third phone line again (which is already plugged in) but not activated within the Mitel system. I have zero experience with the Mitel 5000. I was able to go in and move that line to the other trunk where the two active lines are located but I noticed it said it was not connected to the CO. is it possible to get a step-by-step explanation of how we can activate this line in the system and set it up as the owner would like. The end result is we would like to have a named label for that line as it will be ringing for a separate company. Our current labels are line 1 and line 2. This third line would be labeled Twin City. When Twin City rings we would like that to ring on all eight extensions. Any help is appreciated, thank you

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Add a new line
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
First question would be do you have access to the DB programming tool? This is the software that allows you to program the Mitel 5000.
Although there is a web interface on later versions it is very limited (very, very limited)

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
Thank you for the reply sarond.
Yes I do have access to the DB programming tool. That is where I went in and moved line 3 to the trunk where line 1 and line 2 was located. At this time that is the only change I have made

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:25:39 PM »
dolphin,

The amount of logic and programming required to add this is too much to just put into a single post; getting the trunk into the system isn't the only hurdle here. It would be best if you have them contact a certified technician who knows what questions to ask and how to program the system to do what they want.

If you were a certified technician who understood telephony and the phone system it would be easier to answer the simple, if any, questions that would pop up.

Sorry,

TE

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply tech electronics, as I stated before the third line was already set up in the system and has been deactivated so that it would not show up as a dead line on their phones. Since the phone line is there and was active before I would assume there aren't that many steps to making it work within the phone system again as we are not starting from scratch.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
dolphin,

Alright, but the issue is that unless someone went on site to connect the new line to that same trunk port it will be dead. The carrier isn't going to be bringing the line in on the same pair nor will they connect it to your phone system.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
The lines are already connected as they were before. It's coming in on a spectrum Internet box of which spectrum has supplied the telephone lines and I have already tested it with an analog phone that it is active on that port

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
Dolphin,

So, since you verified and connected it then do you know the hardware id that it is connected to?

If you do then just add that to the same trunk group. You can label the trunk under: system > devices and feature codes > trunks.

It sounds like you have a key system so then you just add the trunk key to the key map and your done. System > Phone-Related Information > Keymaps

Thanks,

TE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »
Tech Electronics,

Attached is a screenshot of the 2 trunks, 92001(active) and PP011 (Inactive) Line 1 and 2 are in 92001 and working.
When I add twincity (Line3) to trunk 92001 it doesn't show up or work on the phones.

In the first screenshot at the bottom right it says "Connected to CO - No"
I assume that's an issue. It is physically connected.

Screenshot 3 is the keymaps?

Thanks
Dolphin

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 02:54:19 AM »
Can seize the line directly by dialling 94259, does it dive you dial tone? Can you call out.

What happens if you call into it? It should ring in the same as the other 2 trunks if they are in the same trunk group.

Also be aware that the phones are most likely not using the default keymap.
You can check what a phone is using by going to System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > {ext} >Keymaps

'Connected to CO - No' is more about line tests than having the trunk out of service.

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
Thanks for the information. I will give it a try on Tuesday when the office opens up again. Monday is a holiday here being Patriots' Day.

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »
Thank you sarond. We're now finally getting somewhere. If I call in to that phone number, it rings in on call key 1 at the bottom of the phone. It appears to now be part of the dial out system but not working properly.

I know mapping on the phone's is going to be the final step but the way we would like the system to work may or may not be viable. We have only one extension (1004) will be using line 3 exclusively. For all  extensions we would like line 1 and line 2 to be the outgoing calls default lines when pressing 8. We would like the new line 3 to be a manually chosen outgoing call line. Is it possible to have line 3 in the system but not be used as an outgoing call line unless manually chosen?

Offline magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
To have line 3 not be selected you need to program a new trunk group and have the line 3 be the only trunk in that group.
Then you program a Trunk key on the phone for line 3.

Offline dolphin

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
Thank you Magnus,
I will give that a try shortly. If I have two trunks, how does the phone system know which trunk to choose for dialing out?

Offline magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
The individual phones get assigned an outgoing extension.

If you wanted to use ARS it gets more complicated and can be programmed based on if it's a local call, etc.

For your application I wouldn't bother

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10