Author Topic: External micropohne with UC360 conference phone  (Read 5585 times)

Offline griff92

• Contributer
    • View Profile
External micropohne with UC360 conference phone
« on: June 05, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
Hi

Has anyone successfully got an external mic working with a UC360 conference phone that is not a revolabs mic?

I know mitel sell the kits, but they are a bit pricey. I purchased a standard conference mic that has a 3.5mm TRS jack on, enabled the settings under extensible microphone, but it doesn't work. And I'm not sure if it should or not!

Thanks

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: External micropohne with UC360 conference phone
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »
I think the connector on the uc360 uses a line level signal versus a microphone level, might be stereo also...I'd have to look to verify

Offline griff92

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:58:30 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply  :D

By line level, do you mean it would need a pre-amp or something to boost/gain the microphone?

Thanks

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »
griff92,
Having never added an "Extension Microphone" before I did a bit of digging and can I assume you enabled the settings on the UC360? (See Below)

This was taken from their UC360 manual. I'm not sure if Mitel manufactures their own "Extension Microphone" and supports also the Revolabs Extension Microphone" as 3rd party device? Again I've never added this kind of device.

Thanks,
-Iron
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:31:18 PM by irongladiator »

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
By line level, do you mean it would need a pre-amp or something to boost/gain the microphone?

Yes that is what i\I think will need to be done

Offline griff92

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:03:06 AM »
griff92,
Having never added an "Extension Microphone" before I did a bit of digging and can I assume you enabled the settings on the UC360? (See Below)

This was taken from their UC360 manual. I'm not sure if Mitel manufactures their own "Extension Microphone" and supports also the Revolabs Extension Microphone" as 3rd party device? Again I've never added this kind of device.

Thanks,
-Iron

Yeah - its not clear what the difference between them is, but I tried both. Thanks

Offline griff92

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:42 AM »

Yes that is what i\I think will need to be done

Thanks.

I'll do a bit more digging. Our Mitel Reseller said there is nothing available from mitel apart from the £1200 revolabs kit!!!

Thanks for your help.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Here in the States, the Revo Labs comes as the wireless mics plus the base unit. The base unit has 2 channels which connect to a y cable before plugging in the UC360. I would gather that this cable is a stereo to mono and the connector on the unit is labeled line in. This would make me believe that the signal level would be higher  than what a microphone usually puts out. If you have a phono preamp, it would be easy to test

Offline griff92

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:41:01 AM »
Here in the States, the Revo Labs comes as the wireless mics plus the base unit. The base unit has 2 channels which connect to a y cable before plugging in the UC360. I would gather that this cable is a stereo to mono and the connector on the unit is labeled line in. This would make me believe that the signal level would be higher  than what a microphone usually puts out. If you have a phono preamp, it would be easy to test

Thanks johnp

I'm going to buy a cheap pre-amp to see if we can get the microphone working. We can't justify spending the amount of money they are asking for the revolabs stuff.
I'll update when we got it bought and tested.

Thanks

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
Thanks, I have wanted to test this myself. I myself would use the NA mic setting on the UC360. I certainly don't know why there is a EU setting and what the difference it might do.  I could understand a wireless frequency difference, but have a hard time with this. It's not like you are plugging this into some mains.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »
I don't know what frequencies are used by the UC360, but generally radio spectrum is allocated differently in North America v. Europe, so you should have multiple settings depending on where it is being installed.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 05:44:46 AM »
I don't know what frequencies are used by the UC360, but generally radio spectrum is allocated differently in North America v. Europe, so you should have multiple settings depending on where it is being installed.

I understand the radio thing, but if connecting to a base unit, it shouldn't matter. I guess without knowing what is used for the European setup, it's hard to say much.

Offline griff92

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »

I understand the radio thing, but if connecting to a base unit, it shouldn't matter. I guess without knowing what is used for the European setup, it's hard to say much.

Yeah in my mind it should just be - Entension MIC on or Off. In terms of wireless frequencies this would be managed by the wireless receiver (the revolabs dual thing in Mitel's case).
Its still frustrating that there isn't more support or documentation on how to use other extension microphones. They say they only support the one revolab kit. But what if I wanted to have a ceiling mic kit in a large conference room. anyway...

The preamp has been ordered, it should be here next week. I'll see what happens!

Cheers

James

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
I suppose all the Europeans have Neumann U87's connected, and here in the State's were stuck with Shure SM57's...LOL

I really think that you will find it will work. How well I can't say.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »

There's also the fact that emissions standards are not standardised around the world.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10