Author Topic: Mitel Gigabit stands  (Read 936 times)

Offline Microfiche

• View Profile
Mitel Gigabit stands
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
So in searching the forums I can see at least one person hates these... however, I am going to try these on my network because it seem like the easiest and cheapest short term fix.
When we bought system a few years ago, an HP ProCurve 10/100 PoE switch was supplied as part of the package.
We now find that we need to bump the speed up on the network, but only have 15 single LAN drops to the offices, and our 5312 phones are only 10/100. So after looking at all the options, I figured that these gig stands might work the best. Going to try some refurbished ones for about $30 USD each and get a new D-Link smart PoE gigabit switch and hopefully that will do what we need to do for the next couple of years until we upgrade the phones.
Anything I need to watch out for? They are self-powered from the PoE switch in the server room, right? I saw an option for a power supply, but assume that acts as a kind of PoE injector?
Thanks!

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel Gigabit stands
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »
Hi Microfiche,
We have a few deployed in the field and they seem to work well for our customers, though when it comes to gigabit, we usually upgrade em' to the 5330e or 5340e model of phone which have built in 10/100/1000 PC ports. According to Mitel's documentation, yes it should be pretty much plug and play. And yes if you have a PoE switch then there would be NO need for the "Optional" power adapter. Below is a diagram of how the wiring should look as well as Mitel's instructions:

Hope it works well for you!

Thanks,
-Iron
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:27:10 PM by irongladiator »

Offline Microfiche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for your help.
If the phones were a bit older, I would consider upgrading them, but I just have a hard time getting rid of 4 year old phones.
Certainly if it was a matter of buying these gigabit stands new (I was quoted over $300) then that would make more sense.
But if I can get these stands for $30 USD with a year warranty, then I think this makes mores sense...

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for your help.
If the phones were a bit older, I would consider upgrading them, but I just have a hard time getting rid of 4 year old phones.
Certainly if it was a matter of buying these gigabit stands new (I was quoted over $300) then that would make more sense.
But if I can get these stands for $30 USD with a year warranty, then I think this makes mores sense...
Funny how companies don't want to swap out desk phones for 6-10 years, but think nothing of replacing everyone's cell phone every 18-24 months and they often cost more than the desk phone.

Not really adding to the conversation, just an observation.  :)

Offline Microfiche

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:03:01 PM »
Yeah, we swap out cell phones every 24 months, but there isn't the big cash outlay that a desk phone requires.
It costs us a few bucks to sign up for a new 24 month cell phone contract, and then we get phones with (usually) new features that are useful.
Different story with the desk phones. I try to get 4-5 years out of desktop computers too...with varying success  ;)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
Yeah, we swap out cell phones every 24 months, but there isn't the big cash outlay that a desk phone requires.
It costs us a few bucks to sign up for a new 24 month cell phone contract, and then we get phones with (usually) new features that are useful.
Different story with the desk phones. I try to get 4-5 years out of desktop computers too...with varying success  ;)
I get that, it has been that way in the US until recently... Carriers are going away from subsidized devices, even for companies, and moving to a monthly "payment plan" instead, the cost per user/device has risen exponentially in the last 2 years for cellular devices... No more $0.99 device upgrades, for better or worse we use iPhones for all company phones, currently deploying the 6s which is about $20/month per device.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10