Author Topic: TFTP Download extremely slow  (Read 3309 times)

Offline griam01

• Contributer
    • View Profile
TFTP Download extremely slow
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
I am a remote tech and frequently have to re-teleworker my test phones to new IP's to test functionality in a customer's environment.  After changing IPs, the TFTP is extremely slow.  It takes about 4 seconds (yes, I timed it) to increment each number.  Needless to say it takes about 10 minutes to download TFTP Main, then several minutes to flash, then 3 minutes to download TFTP Boot.  Finally about 15-20 minutes later I have a phone I can use.

I worked for a previous company and it was never this slow.  I used to not be able to really see the numbers go by on the screen and I was up within a couple minutes at most.  Nothing has changed in my home network where I work.  My download speed is 200+Mbps.  I asked other coworkers if they have issues and they said theirs is not that slow.  I am wondering if it is a conflict with my ISP and the company I work for?  I even tested to see if it was the POE switch or adapter and plugged it directly into my cable modem, bypassing all other switches on my network, but the same issue occurs.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: TFTP Download extremely slow
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
TFTP through various switches/routers and the internet is EXTREMELY slow... this is why never do manual upgrades on 5000 systems remotely. I have just accepted this...

Why not setup your own local TFTP server on your computer... it is super easy, just pull the TFTP directory to your computer (place it in a directory you will know the version, like MCD72SP1), use TFTPd http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ and point it to the directory you need at that time.

Offline griam01

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
I just don't understand why none of my other coworkers have the issue and they are all remote at different locations and they say their TFTPs fly by in a couple minutes.  We have hundreds of clients who are not running the same versions of software, so setting up my own tftp server would not be the easiest for that setup.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »
I just don't understand why none of my other coworkers have the issue and they are all remote at different locations and they say their TFTPs fly by in a couple minutes.  We have hundreds of clients who are not running the same versions of software, so setting up my own tftp server would not be the easiest for that setup.
If they all run the same software version, what is the phone pulling down via TFTP? It will only pull firmware if the version changes, not every time it switches PBX or TW gateway. All PBX's on the same software version should have the same IP phone firmware, and no reflash or update of the device would be necessary when switching from one system to another.

If the TFTP is only slow for you, then the issue is your router or switch... to be honest, I have always seen TFTP as being painfully slow compared to other protocols when it has to transpose multiple switches or routers. Remember that each packet for TFTP has to be ack'd before the next packet is sent, so round drip delay is a huge factor, plus the default TFTP packet size is 512-bytes by default (I don't know if Mitel supports RFC 2348 to adjust the packet size, never tried).

Offline griam01

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
If they all run the same software version, what is the phone pulling down via TFTP? It will only pull firmware if the version changes, not every time it switches PBX or TW gateway. All PBX's on the same software version should have the same IP phone firmware, and no reflash or update of the device would be necessary when switching from one system to another.

If the TFTP is only slow for you, then the issue is your router or switch... to be honest, I have always seen TFTP as being painfully slow compared to other protocols when it has to transpose multiple switches or routers. Remember that each packet for TFTP has to be ack'd before the next packet is sent, so round drip delay is a huge factor, plus the default TFTP packet size is 512-bytes by default (I don't know if Mitel supports RFC 2348 to adjust the packet size, never tried).

I would agree it's me if I hadn't just switched jobs and used to do the same thing for the previous job and didn't have this problem.

Every time I switch the teleworker address it re-download the TFTP again.  Not every customer is at the same  version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eugenej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
Mitel uses a slightly "bastardised" version of TFTP.
On your MBG you have the TFTP block size setting/attribute.

Trying setting that to maximum or min and see if there's a difference. Also remember that each block of data the phone receives, it first has to acknowledge so this process is inherently slow.

Hope this heps

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
The only reason for most tftp downloads is if the system has a different version. Most likely the most recent will work, you could set your phone to use a local tftp to host the files needed. I don't know the phone model used, which would be helpful.

Offline griam01

• Contributer
    • View Profile
TFTP Download extremely slow
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Unfortunately we use multiple software versions depending on what the client is at. Anywhere from 7.0, 7.2, 8.0. We also may have to test with any different model of Mitel telephone 5320, 5330, 5340, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10