Author Topic: Setup voicemail to email  (Read 3821 times)

Offline nate.dixon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Setup voicemail to email
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
Hello all

I am getting the following error when trying to setup SMTP on the email gateway.  For this SMTP E-Mail System, a valid hostname is required.  If DHCP is disabled, a valid DNS IP address and search list must also be programmed...

So, DHCP is disabled in our system, so I guess I need a DNS and search list.  I put in my domain in domain name and put in the DNS servers, but I still cannot get the SMTP to turn on.  We are also an O365 shop.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  We are on V.6

Offline magnus

• View Profile
Re: Setup voicemail to email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
Just put something like mitel5000 in the hostname. It cannot be blank

Offline nate.dixon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »
It does have Mitel5000 as a hostname already in it.  Would I need to reboot once I make changes to the IP settings?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 05:10:13 PM »
nate.dixon,

I think you are missing a subtle point here and it is that although you put in the IP address(es) of your DNS servers you are forgetting to put in your DNS Search Suffix. You can find this by typing the following at the Command Prompt of a PC on the local network.

ipconfig -all

This will provide you with a lot of information, but what you are looking for is at the top and it will be called DNS Suffix Search List. When you have that you put it in the system under IP Settings where it shows DNS Searchlist.

Thanks,

TE

Offline nate.dixon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »
Here is what I have in my IP Settings (Attachment)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »
nate.dixon,

Try putting this in the DNS Search List: amphenol-sensors.com and see if that works for you; it should match your DNS Suffix Search List when you ipconfig -all.

Thanks,

TE

Offline nate.dixon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
My DNS Suffix Search List contains:  aas.global.amphenol-sensors.com
                                                      global.amphenol-sensors.com

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
nate.dixon,

Have you gone back to set it up once you put those values in and it still gives you the same error?

Thanks,

TE

Offline nate.dixon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
Yes of course...Once the values are in there I go back to the gateway, try and I get the same errors.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:20:09 PM »
nate.dixon,

Alright, this is getting us no place fast. There are only two settings you need setup under IP Settings in order to be able to turn set the SMTP System to SMTP without getting that error.

1. A valid DNS IP Address. This means only 1 of the 2 DNS IP Addresses has to be valid and has to be reachable from the phone system network.
2. DNS Search List. This doesn't even have to be a valid DNS Suffix Search List for it to work since it doesn't validate it; there just has to be something there.

Now, those are by no means the only two you need to make everything work properly, but they are the only two that are needed in order to not get the message you are getting and to turn the service on.

So, since you have something in the DNS Suffix Search List then most likely your phone system is not able to get to either of your DNS IP Addresses, or vise versa, for whatever reason OR neither of them are actual DNS Servers.

Go to the SSH Command shell of the phone system and then go to commands then try to PING the DNS Server IP Addresses. If that works you are able to get to them; yah!! If it doesn't then you need to figure out why it can't. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that you know what the DNS server IP Addresses are so we can assume that is not the issue.

Thanks,

TE

Offline nate.dixon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »
Just so everyone knows I had to add a Processing Server Hostname and then it worked.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10