Author Topic: Mitel Licensing  (Read 6254 times)

Offline mitel_newbie

• View Profile
Mitel Licensing
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:21:51 AM »
Hi All,

I would like to ask a question.
We are having a hosted MiVoice Business Virtual for Enterprise installed in a datacentre and having MPLS connection on our sites to connect with our phones to it.   (Mitel Art. 54005748). According to the quotes we have also bought MiVoice Bus Licenses - Enterprise User (Art.Nr. 54004975) + MCD Mailbox licenses (54000297)
No one has ever checked the licensing on the controller as this is all managed by our provider. But last week I found out, that we have UCCv3.0 entry licenses installed.

After some research on the internet I found it that these are bundle licenses, which are supposed to be cheaper as the ones I mentioned further up. Is that correct?

When I asked our provider, they told us that they upgraded our MCD+VM licenses to UCCv3 entry license, because we have software assurance from Mitel (Art.Nr. 54005197) and were allowed to upgrade.
To be honest, this makes me worry that we paid for single licensing and they installed cheaper bundle licensing.

As this is about 150 users I would really appreciate some advise. Is this upgrade really possible when having the S/A? Am I correct, that the licenses (MCD+VM) are the single licenses and UCC entry is the bundle which includes both?

Would be so nice if someone could help. 

Thank you guys.

regards, Paul
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:44:15 AM by mitel_newbie »

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel Licensing
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:07:07 AM »
You get more with a UCCv3 license than you do with a MCD User+vm.

The separate VM license is for embedded voicemail.
A UCC license includes a VM for NuPoint which is different, it belongs to the MiCollab suite of apps.

I have attached an image on what is included in each level of UCCv3

Offline mitel_newbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:28:17 AM »
Hi Sarond,

Thank you for the answer.

I understand that we get more with the UCC licenses, but we do not need more. The only things our users need are a handset to be connected for each user and a private voice mailbox each.

I know this can be achieved with both licenses. 1xVM+MCD single or 1xUCC entry.
The only problem is, they charged us for the single licenses and according to Mitel documents I found UCC is cheaper. In all our quotes/contracts we got MCD+VM, but UCC is installed.

The NuPoint VM is also not used by any user.

I just try to find out if they have riped us off by selling expensive things and installing the cheap ones.
But can it be right that they are allowed to update from MCC+VM to UCC licenses? The system is running for 2 years and I cannot proof what was installed at the beginning.

For my understanding we would upgrade from a single licensing model to a bundle model and I have never seen a software assurance covering this. 

I didn't even know that we have the ability to use NuPoint, which seems to give us ability to check VoiceMail etc. via our computers, correct?
Thanks again for helping.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:30:58 AM by mitel_newbie »

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:46:18 AM »
To my knowledge an Entry UCC would be more expensive than MCD+VM.

Do you have the part number of the UCCv3 license you have been quoted?
If you have no MiCollab server then there is not a lot of benefit with the UCC licensing bundle.

Maybe with the upgrade you have been migrated to a 'basic' UCC license. (essentially an MCD user)

NuPoint is more advanced than embedded VM and can allow for things like outlook plugin, call director etc...

What greeting do you get if you dial the voicemail system and press *
'Please enter your mailbox number' or 'Welcome to the message centre ...'

Offline mitel_newbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
So that actually means we got something which is more expensive. But what about the upgrade from mcd to ucc via software assurance is that possible? I don't really like when someone lies on me.  I have screenshots from the controller. It's nupoint VMs and definitely UCC entry. No basic.
The MiCollab has never been mentioned as well but is apparently installed as I have seen there are two different webinterfaces and the entry licenses are synced from one to the other one + 16 UCC std licenses, which come obviously with the micollab.

So the MCD would be for the virtual controller or a cx3300 standalone system and UCC is actually for the MiCollab solutions and would be synced to these controllers? We definitely have the controller and now when you say it the micollab must be the other device (VM). 

I'll check the part no. and the greeting tomorrow as I won't be in the office again today.

Sorry... I really try to understand the system, but it's very hard without any support from the providers.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:07:48 PM »
When did you buy the single licences?

UCC was introduced in early 2015(I think?).

If you bought your licences prior to that, then they've upgraded you. As you have MiCollab, the UCC licensing should work better for you.

I can't know for sure, but when you mention "16 licences", that doesn't sound like UCC licences, it sounds like the Standard licences you get included with the controller. They are useful for IP devices, rather than users.

When your provider adds a UCC licence to your licensing record, that gives you 2 things:
 - a licence on the MiCollab for a UCC user + a NuPoint mailbox
 - a licence on the MCD, for an MDUG user
(your 16 standard MCD licences can be used for non-MDUG extensions on top of that).

Your provider is likely just as confused as you are. It is confusing, and they keep changing it.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
I think they are likely basic licenses not entry. I don't know of any Mitel program that changes MCD licenses to entry without a cost

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry about dialing the Voicemail, you have just confirmed what I thought which is you have NuPoint VM.

So what happens with UCC licensing is that Mitel have tried to simplify it for the end user by giving 3 options Entry/Standard/Premium. It only works well when you have MiCollab, as the bundled licenses are part of that.

Seeing that you have NuPoint it is probably the most effective way to license a new user.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10