Author Topic: Phones disconnecting after Controller reboot  (Read 2723 times)

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
Phones disconnecting after Controller reboot
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Hello, we currently have a 5000 HX Controller with about 100 5330/5330e/5340e phones on version 5.1 SP4 PR2.  We are having an issue that I am having trouble finding more information on.  DHCP for the phones is currently being handed out via a pfSense firewall on the phone VLAN 150.  DHCP is providing option 43 for the Call_Srv and the TFTP server information to the phones. 

Last week, I rebooted the phone controller while troubleshooting a voicemail to email issue.  After that reboot, a number of users have reported that their phone is often disconnecting them in the middle of calls, and then stating on the screen Applications Loading for anywhere up to a minute.  I have been able to resolve this issue on each phone, it seems, by power-cycling each phone manually. 

I am not entirely familiar with the registration process that the phones follow, but am wondering how a reboot of the controller could cause this to happen, or if it cannot, and I should be investigating elsewhere.

Thank you for your input on this,

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Phones disconnecting after Controller reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »
dhumes0524,

This doesn't sound like a DHCP issue, but more of an issue with the phone having an issue with its HTML application. It could be that the HTML application that it currently has loaded up is faulty and it needs to be reset; basically what you are doing.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »
Hm, so the HTML application resides on the phone itself, and it is connecting to the server, but is becoming faulty when the connection it has to the server is lost and reconnected?

Do you know if it is Mitel best practice to reboot all associated telephones immediately after a reboot of the controller?  In my previous job we had a 3300 and this was never an issue.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:26:07 PM »
dhumes0524,

The HTML application is downloaded from the Mitel 5000 under System > Phone-Related Information > Application Profiles. Application profiles gets its information from Applications under the same main folder of Phone-Related Information.

Every time the phone does a reboot it will load applications which it gets from the Mitel 5000. My suggestion is that it may have been corrupted and needs to be reset. This however is not a known problem so it is a guess on the solution based on your previous posting. If I were looking for the issue I would start with the system logs and see why the phone did a reset and then work my way back to, hopefully, a final solution. Since I do not have the ability to do that I have to work with the information provided which states that a reboot of the phone fixes the issue and the problem, as far as I know, does not reoccur after said reboot.

When your users are being disconnected from calls and then stating that they see the Applications loading screen that would tell me the phone either did a soft-reboot or a full reboot of itself; hence the disconnect. I have seen this issue several times and each time the problem was something entirely different and was never a wide spread issue; usually a single phone. I can think of nothing that would cause the issue from a simple reboot of the system and most likely the issue is a result from something else; which may have been initiated from the reboot, but not the reboot itself. Whether the issue is systemic in nature or just a simple issue of rebooting the phones it will be hard to tell without further information.

Typically when you have a wide spread issue you will need to look at common resources based on the issue at hand and figure out what could be causing it.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
What system log in particular would you look at?  I can review this the next time I get a report of this happening.

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 03:12:40 PM »
Bump to see if anyone can assist.  I have phones doing this right now, I just am not familiar with what logs to check.

Thank you,

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »
dhumes0524,

Well, at this point I will have to assume that you are a user and not a technician. The logs you always will start with would be the error logs which you can get to from database programming.

Opertations > Error Information: Freeze the logs and then download the latest message logs. This should provide you with several log files, but the ones you will initially look at would be the files ending in .log. The remainder of the files are as follows and can be opened with Notepad or any text editor.

.dev  Device log
.dmp  Dump file of System Events, Resets, and Statistics
.ndl   Network Diagnostic Log
.cph   Central Processor History  <-- You won't be able to read all of this with a simple text editor
.log   Message Log file <-- this is most likely where you will find your errors.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
Correct, I am not a Mitel technician.  I am our IT Manager - I had Mitel training in Atlanta on the 3300 at a previous job, but even that was just administration, not system installation or troubleshooting.

Thank you for this information, I will review these logs.  At this time I don't have any reports of this occurring again, but as soon as I do I will use this post.

Furthermore, we are submitting paperwork to our vendor today to get us upgraded to the latest version of MiVoice Office.  We are on 5.1, I believe latest release is now 6.2.

Thank you again,

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10