Author Topic: Changed Phone Extensions / Moved to Out Office / No Two Way Audio  (Read 1587 times)

Offline CBeyer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Changed Phone Extensions / Moved to Out Office / No Two Way Audio
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »
I am pretty much having the exact issue as the OP was in this thread: http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=6823.0

An outer office phone (8622v2) died (supposedly lightning power surge) and needed to be replaced. I took a working phone (8622v2) from the  home office and set it up using the settings of an extension in another out office that I know works. The phone connects via DHCP to our system. The phone screen comes up with users name and extension. Everything seemingly works fine until the users tried to use the phone.

The phone rings, but no audio/voice can be heard on either end.

I inherited the Mitel 500 system and phones that came with it. I'm not an expert with all the settings so I'm not sure if there is something else that needs to be done.

One thing to note. When I took the phone from the home office, I simply changed the extension on it to the user's extension whose phone died. I'm not sure if Mac Addresses were affected or not. Not sure how to find the MAC address to verify that.

Any assistance would be greatly welcome.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Changed Phone Extensions / Moved to Out Office / No Two Way Audio
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:26:29 PM »
CBeyer,

So, you need to explain how you setup the phone and where the phone is located when you are doing the testing. Was the phone you are trying to work with a Native phone, meaning was it on the same network as the phone system?

There are settings that will stop audio based on whether it is Native or NAT to the network you are testing on.

Thanks,

TE

Offline CBeyer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »
The Mitel 5000 system (connected to via MiVoice 250) contains all of the phones. To the best of my knowledge, all of the phones were initially setup here in the main office.

We have two satellite offices, each containing one phone. The one that works has an extension in the Mitel 5000 of 12703. It is connected to a Time Warner supplied router with the following settings on the phone itself:

Static: 192.168.200.201
Subnet; 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Remote IPS IP: 216.198.156.40
TFTP Server (I don't know what this is or if it is important): 192.168.200.202

The phone uses DHCP, acquires an IP Address and successfully routes itself to our system. I can dial the extension from the main office and the user picks up and converses just fine.

The other office has the same type of phone and, to my knowledge, was setup here in the office. I had to change the settings of the phone to match the other satellite office. The are:

Static: 192.168.200.201
Subnet; 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Remote IPS IP: 216.198.156.40
TFTP Server (I don't know what this is or if it is important): 192.168.200.202

After some time, the phone acquires an IP Address and connects to the system. I can call the extension and can tell that a user picks up, but nothing is heard on either end.

I attempted the Copy (extension number) of the satellite phone that works and Pasted it to the one that does not. No go. I've verified all settings and they seem to match up although it is apparent that something isn't matching up.

I'm not sure about the NAT vs Native setting you are referring to.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
CBeyer,

There are IP Settings under the programming of the phone itself.

System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > 12703 > IP Settings: Look for NAT Address Type.

The 3 settings are Auto, Native, and NAT and the first one is most likely not the one since Auto rarely worked in most cases. Look at the programming of the original phone and see how it was setup.

Thanks,

TE

Offline CBeyer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
Settings for working phone (out of main office):

Call Configuration: 1
Reserve IP Resource for Device: No
Network Group: PP029
NAT Address Type: Auto

Settings for non-working phone (out of main office):

NAT Address Type: Native (I changed this from Auto to native based on the previous thread from 2015, neither seems to have done the trick).

Settings for non-working phone (in main office):

NAT Address Type: Auto

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
Typically if the out-of-office phone is running across the public Internet I'd expect to see NAT ADDRESS TYPE set to NAT, otherwise you get no audio or one way.  If, however, it's on a VPN  you'd use NATIVE.

Offline CBeyer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
Is the change instantaneous to the phone? Do I need to give it time? I only ask cause the phone is 45 miles away. I can't really test this too well without the user being in front of it. Would restarting the phone help reconfigure the new settings?

The user will be back in the office Thursday. I'll report back then.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
As I recall, change took place immediately without rebooting.  Matter of fact, if extension is set to hands-free intercom you may be able to dial extension and hear background room noise (or private things you'd rather not hear!).

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10