Author Topic: Mitel IP Setup  (Read 2022 times)

Offline iboyd

• View Profile
Mitel IP Setup
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
Hello Gents,

I am setting up a new Mitel 3300 install and have a question about the Voice vLAN field in the IP config form.  Our voice vlan is vLAN 2, and when you tell that to the 3300, it refuses to pass traffic, but if you set it to our data vLAN, it passes traffic.  Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel IP Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »
How is the LAN port facing the 3300 set up? What VLAN's is it passing, and are they tagged?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
My general recommendation is to never set the VLAN tagging at the PBX, it can be a maintenance nightmare... always do it at the switch level for the port the 3300 connects to. The exact configuration of that would vary depending on the types of switches and implementation.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »
TO answer that, we would need to know:
DATA VLAN & subnet
VOICE VLAN & subnet
IP address of the controller
switchport config that the controller is patched to

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »
I might add that the only time to use this IMHO is if the controller is a CXi that needs to supply the data vlan via the phone

Offline iboyd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:09:21 PM »
So, I was in the wrong to set the vLAN tagging at the PBX.  All of our tagging is done at the switch. As soon as we changed it back to 1, it came up and everything is fine.  My question now is why the heck is that stupid box there in the first place?  Has anyone ever used it?

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »
The way I see it, VLAN tagging on the MCD interface is there for small setups where the simplest instruction to the local network guy is, "create a new VLAN, and add that VLAN to all switchports as 'tagged'".
Then when the Mitel guy comes on site to install the phones, all the switchports are good to go for phones, and the voice controller is tagged at its end in the voice VLAN and is also good to go.

The setup I have always used is more like,
"create voice VLANs and add them as a tagged VLAN to all the Access switches, for the phones"
"assign me the IP address you want the phone controller on (should be a SERVICES VLAN, not a VOICE VLAN) and tell me which switchport to connect the controller to (which will be untagged in that VLAN)."

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »
As John mentioned the only reason I see for tagging the controller is if you use a CXi /II (built in POE Switch)

If you connect the uplink port (gigabit port 17) to a switch on a managed network with voice and data vlans then you will need to tag your voice vlan so that the other 16 ports can be used properly with data and voice. i.e. PC connected to the back of a phone.

Other than a CXi I wouldn't do it, use the managed switches and save everyone a headache.

Offline iboyd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:44:16 AM »
Yep, as I stated earlier, I was naive in telling my installer to set the VLAN tag.  I have not seen a need to have any CXi's in my environment, we only have one because it was an emergency replacement of a fried Panasonic PBX.  I have settled on the MXIIIe chassis, and we have some that are AX.

Offline iboyd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »
Piggy backing off this post, any ideas on why the stinking 5845 IP Page adapter doesn't want to play with options 128-134 configured, as well as 43?  only thing missing is opt 125

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10