Author Topic: Device Move Detection warning in logs  (Read 2692 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Device Move Detection warning in logs
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
At one location I am seeing numerous Device Move Detection log entries, always the same 8 extensions, but never really moving... The log shows CDP L2 MAC/MAC/IP address Unstable, then specified, then Unstable and back and forth at random intervals. Users are not reporting any issues, so I am not sure if this is just Mitel "over-logging" or a real problem, but it makes the customer concerned.

I have attached a copy of the specific log entries, let me know if you have any incite into this...

Thanks.

Offline PC77375

• View Profile
Re: Device Move Detection warning in logs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
From the help file, under CESID assigment:
"If "Unstable" appears in this field it means that the device is receiving conflicting L2 MAC or Chassis ID and Port data.

This issue can occur if the device is connected to an L2 switch that doesn't have STP, CDP or LLDP enabled, but the network components higher up in the network tree have STP, CDP or LLDP enabled. Therefore, the L2 broadcast from the switch higher in the network tree gets passed though the lower L2 switch and the phone receives L2 data from multiple sources."

Check network switches...similar issue solved by disabling CDP on core switch. Seems that the core switch was pushing down conflicting CDP 

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
From the help file, under CESID assigment:
"If "Unstable" appears in this field it means that the device is receiving conflicting L2 MAC or Chassis ID and Port data.

This issue can occur if the device is connected to an L2 switch that doesn't have STP, CDP or LLDP enabled, but the network components higher up in the network tree have STP, CDP or LLDP enabled. Therefore, the L2 broadcast from the switch higher in the network tree gets passed though the lower L2 switch and the phone receives L2 data from multiple sources."

Check network switches...similar issue solved by disabling CDP on core switch. Seems that the core switch was pushing down conflicting CDP
Ahh... should have just looked for myself then. I am pretty sure this is because the customer has a few basic 8-port POE managed small office switches behind a nice HP & Cisco infrastructure. The smaller POE switches probably don't support CDP.

Offline PC77375

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
Might be beyond the "simple switches. Check the core down, if CDP can be disabled then try that and see if that shuts that chatty log up.   ;)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
Might be beyond the "simple switches. Check the core down, if CDP can be disabled then try that and see if that shuts that chatty log up.   ;)
I forwarded the information to the customer, they have a management company that takes care of their network and he forwarded it to them, they are pretty good, so will see what comes of it.

Thanks for the info.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10