Author Topic: 3300 loses software during reboot  (Read 1513 times)

Offline jherlitz

• View Profile
3300 loses software during reboot
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »
I am having a reoccurring issue with one of my 3300 controllers.  If the controller is rebooted, occasionally it loses the software and won't boot.  It retains the IP address, but gets stuck in a reboot state and doesn't see the software to boot to.  I have to reload the software manually, update the licensing and then do a restore.  During the restore it reboots twice and is fine, comes up and we move on with life.

However this has happened I would say 4 times now in the last couple years.  Am I having hardware failure, am I loading the software wrong, guess I am trying to find out why.

This did happen once on one other controller, but that one has been solid since.  Luckily I leave a serial cable from the controller into a computer at each location so I don't have to drive to those locations to reload.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice for me?

Thank you for any input...

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: 3300 loses software during reboot
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:05:35 AM »
Sounds like symptoms of a faulty hard drive. What model controller and software release?

Offline jherlitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:43:15 PM »
I have a 3300 CX II.  Software version 13.2.0.17 Or release leve 7.2  However this same issue was happening with version 6.x as well.

Now if I wanted to replace the hard drive, I believe you can't just replace it with any ole hard drive right?

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
known problem with 8gb ssd's. normally a reload cures it; but if it doesnt i would suggest a new disk.

Offline jherlitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
can I put in any SSD?

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »
I had the problem with the SDS drives where a reboot did not resolve it.
We found that if you removed the SDS drive from the controller and put it back in it was then fine.

Ralph

Offline jherlitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Ralph,

Would you suggest shutting down the controller removing it and reinstalling/seating it, boot it back up and go forward and see if that resolves it?  Catch is, I can do that, but then if I have to reinstall software again, then buy a new drive and reinstall again..  Will have to debate.

Which drive is recommended, depending on price, I may just replace the drive as it probably cheaper than all my time reloading..  Though, don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the process of manually installing or upgrading the software, however I like it better when it is on my schedule and my terms.  LOL

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
Mitel supply a 16gb SSD these days. I would be tempted to try any 16GB SSD or if you want to be really careful then buy it off Mitel....

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
I have a 3300 CX II.  Software version 13.2.0.17 Or release leve 7.2  However this same issue was happening with version 6.x as well.

Now if I wanted to replace the hard drive, I believe you can't just replace it with any ole hard drive right?
I have used off the shelf for this in the past, never been a problem... Just buy high quality, enterprise grade drives, not the normal consumer grade stuff. When you load the software the first time, you have to do it manually and use the "FixPartition" option.

Have a 3300 MXe that has been running on a 250GB Seagate drive we bought at Best Buy as a temporary fix because it was Saturday evening and they were down... Oh yeah, that was in like 2008, maybe I should talk to them and see about a permanent replacement one of these days.  ;)

I also put an Intel 730 (I think) Enterprise series 128GB SSD drive in Mitel once as an emergency replacement a couple years ago, that is still going strong as well.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:48 PM »
Ralph,

Would you suggest shutting down the controller removing it and reinstalling/seating it, boot it back up and go forward and see if that resolves it?  Catch is, I can do that, but then if I have to reinstall software again, then buy a new drive and reinstall again..  Will have to debate.

Which drive is recommended, depending on price, I may just replace the drive as it probably cheaper than all my time reloading..  Though, don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the process of manually installing or upgrading the software, however I like it better when it is on my schedule and my terms.  LOL

From what I remember, after we did that, (discovered quite by accident) we didn't have to do it again.
To be safe it would be better to replace it since it is a know issue with those drives.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10