Author Topic: 3300 CXi and Cisco switch voice VLAN and different Data VLAN  (Read 2855 times)

Offline simplemind

• View Profile
3300 CXi and Cisco switch voice VLAN and different Data VLAN
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
Hello All,

First of all I am new to Mitel system so forgive my ignorance. We have a Mitel 3300 CXi running MiVoice Business 7.0 SP1, active software load 13.0.1.28.

The Mitel is on 10.44.9.33 running a DHCP server and Data and Voice are on VLAN 1. It is connected to a Cisco SG500-28P switch (Sw3) via the LAN port. SW3 is connected to a Cisco SG500-48P switch (SW2).
I need to change the Data VLAN to 350 and Voice VLAN to 300 and will be using a Cisco 5512-x ASA connected to the SW3 as the DHCP server and Internet gateway for the PCs. The Mitel will be the DHCP server for Voice only. I need to change the Mitel IP address to 10.44.30.1

Can someone please give me some advice on how to best achieve this. I was thinking changing the IP address to 10.44.30.1, Voice VLAN ID to 300 and Data VLAN ID to 350 in the System IP Properties form, set the port on SW3 that’s connected to Mitel as trunk and tag VLAN 300 untag VLAN 350. Setup DHCP server on ASA 10.44.9.1 and set option 43 and other Mitel options and enable Voice VLAN 300 on the Cisco switches. Is this the right way doing this? Both Switches support LLDP as well.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3300 CXi and Cisco switch voice VLAN and different Data VLAN
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »
Are you going to use the Mitel CXi switch ports as well?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:31:04 AM »
You have a fair chore here... it will take a little work and some downtime (although not significant). Here are some general steps assuming you are NOT using the embedded switch in the CXi, if you are it is a bit more complicated.

In general, you do not change the VLAN information in the Mitel, you will change it at the switch level.

First create your VLANs on both switches then set the switches so the default VLAN on all ports is 350, and 300 is allowed as tagged traffic. find the port the Mitel is on and change it so that 300 is default VLAN (PVID) on that port.

Log into the Mitel and change the IP address and DHCP information (remember NOT to define VLAN information here)

Those switches support Auto Voice VLAN, so I would just set them up so that 300 is the Voice VLAN and add 08-00-0F to the MAC table for voice devices (if it isn't there), then you don't have to mess with DHCP on the data VLAN in the Cisco (I am unable to help with that if it is essential to do it that way).

If you plug into a port on the switch with a phone, it should automatically be placed into VLAN 300 by the switch and request DHCP in VLAN 300, receive it from the Mitel and come up and work.

This will not allow you to talk between VLAN 350 and 300 though, they will completely distinct... if you want them to talk to each other, that is for someone with a little more router knowledge than me.

TBH, this is a fairly complex project, not extremely difficult but there are lots of little pieces that have to fit together just right for it to work. I would suggest contacting your IT support and Mitel vendor and get them together to come up with and implement a plan. If you really want to do this on your own, I hope you have a fairly extensive knowledge of Cisco and network in general, especially with VLANs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:32:36 AM by acejavelin »

Offline simplemind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
Hi Both, thank you for your replies especially acejavlin for taking the time to exlplain.

I am the IT guy here and the Mitel system was configured by an external company and we don't have support contract for the Mitel at present.

We are not using the CXi builtin switchports. I will be doing the routing between VLANs on the Cisco ASA. I have added the Telephony OUI on the switch under voice VLAN. Please see attached pic. is there a predefined string for the Mitel phones?

Many thanks.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »
If you are not using the CXi switch port then the process is simpler.

As mentioned the basics would be similar to:
- Program voice vlan on all switches tagged for voice
- Program an access port (untagged) for the CXi controller in the voice vlan
- Do NOT change vlan settings in controller leave as is, you want them to be untagged. (Let the switch handle vlan ID)
- Program DHCP in CXi and be sure to include vlan options to allow the phones to tag their pakets.
- Change IP of CXi to 10.44.30.1 (reboot required)

Look in the help files for setting up DHCP on Mitel, or post back here if unsure.

Phones should boot, use LLDP/CDP to get into voice vlan. Mitel will then provide DHCP to phones.

Offline simplemind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
- Program DHCP in CXi and be sure to include vlan options to allow the phones to tag their packets.

Hi sarond, thanks very much for your input.

acejavlin's advice was not to define VLAN in DHCP option. I wonder who is correct!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
You should not define VLAN in DHCP on the "final" offer, in newer firmwares it can cause bootloop if the final DHCP offer has options for VLAN when the phone is already in that VLAN... This all depends on the configuration of your network and how the phones are placed in the voice VLAN. If DHCP is used to move the phone to another VLAN, then the VLAN information is required, if there is no change to VLAN required (or the "final" VLAN change has been completed), then no VLAN information should be defined.

I have done this on hundreds of installs of 3300 and 5000 systems, it works perfectly. Pretty sure if I dug around a little, there was a technical bulletin regarding this around release MCD 4.2 or so (I could be off on the version number a bit).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:59:46 PM by acejavelin »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
- Program DHCP in CXi and be sure to include vlan options to allow the phones to tag their packets.

Hi sarond, thanks very much for your input.

acejavlin's advice was not to define VLAN in DHCP option. I wonder who is correct!

I think they're both right. If LLDP is working correctly, the VLAN info in the DHCP option is redundant, so you can leave it out. I can't say I've seen any "bootloop", using, eg:
id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=192.168.25.10;call_srv=192.168.25.10;vlan=325;l2p=6;dscp=46;

You might get bootloop if the VLAN in the DHCP option didn't match the VLAN coming from LLDP?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10