Author Topic: Combine Mitel with Avaya?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline BobbyMitel

• View Profile
Combine Mitel with Avaya?
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Hi all -

I have a Mitel 3300 system with 400 users.  In about 4 months, we are taking over one of our affiliates who has an Avaya system (VOIP) with about 250 phones.  Is it possible to have these system talk to each other?  Any links for me to start the research?

Thanks

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Combine Mitel with Avaya?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »
The question would be, which Avaya system? There are a few that could fall in that size category, both "native" Avaya and their adopted Nortel variants... Mitel has some interconnection documentation depending on the systems involved, but it's just a framework.

Both systems should be able to support SIP trunking provided the licensing is there in both systems. The programming side of the 3300 is fairly simple, build a SIP peer, build the ARS and the Mitel is good, a similar process would occur on the Avaya. This would not be integration though, just a simple A can call B and B can call A, not other services would likely be possible.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:53:58 PM »
Hi all -

I have a Mitel 3300 system with 400 users.  In about 4 months, we are taking over one of our affiliates who has an Avaya system (VOIP) with about 250 phones.  Is it possible to have these system talk to each other?  Any links for me to start the research?

Thanks

The method you use may come down to licensing.
Do you have available SIP licences, or do you have available digital link licences to setup a QSIG trunk between them.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
It's possible. 
About two years ago I took a 3300 to Denver and worked with Avaya at that campus for interop testing.
We did it with both QSIG and SIP.  (This was Avaya Red)

Shared VM is a struggle but can be done.  We have at least one customer that has a 3300 tied to an Avaya sharing the Avaya's VM
I believe you can still find our Doc on how-to on the Avaya website.

Ralph

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 08:56:52 AM »
It's possible. 
About two years ago I took a 3300 to Denver and worked with Avaya at that campus for interop testing.
We did it with both QSIG and SIP.  (This was Avaya Red)

Shared VM is a struggle but can be done.  We have at least one customer that has a 3300 tied to an Avaya sharing the Avaya's VM
I believe you can still find our Doc on how-to on the Avaya website.

Ralph

I've got a customer with about 200 users on an Avaya Aura/CM system using my NuPoint on an MCD 6.0 cluster via Q.SIG links between the 2 systems. Didn't really have to do much on the MCD side, but I think they had to do some funky stuff on the Avaya side to get it to work.

Offline BobbyMitel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I don't have much info on the Avaya except that it's VOIP and the model is IP 500 V2.  I do know that we have available SIP trunks on our side.

Ralph, do you have a link on that article?  I looked around for a little and not seeing it.

Thanks

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I don't have much info on the Avaya except that it's VOIP and the model is IP 500 V2.  I do know that we have available SIP trunks on our side.

Ralph, do you have a link on that article?  I looked around for a little and not seeing it.

Thanks
That is an Avaya IP Office 500 system (not Aura), it is a very different animal than the Aura CM, but it does supports SIP trunking and is license based. Avaya has an interop document according to Google, (https://support.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100178968) but it appears to be off-line as of this posting, and Mitel does not have interop posted.

This should be pretty generic SIP setup on the Mitel side, and the Avaya side is fairly simple for someone familiar with SIP trunking on the IP office. There is zero integration though, it is a dumb trunk connection, only dialing extensions between sites is possible, unless you get really fancy with ARS on both sides, in which case you could share some trunking resources.

Offline BobbyMitel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »

Thanks
That is an Avaya IP Office 500 system (not Aura), it is a very different animal than the Aura CM, but it does supports SIP trunking and is license based. Avaya has an interop document according to Google, (https://support.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100178968) but it appears to be off-line as of this posting, and Mitel does not have interop posted.

This should be pretty generic SIP setup on the Mitel side, and the Avaya side is fairly simple for someone familiar with SIP trunking on the IP office. There is zero integration though, it is a dumb trunk connection, only dialing extensions between sites is possible, unless you get really fancy with ARS on both sides, in which case you could share some trunking resources.

Thanks Ace.  That is very helpful

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10