Author Topic: Mitel 5000 - Logs - CPU usage and Memory usage  (Read 3623 times)

Offline plim81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 5000 - Logs - CPU usage and Memory usage
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »
hello,

We have a Mitel 5000 system.  We are experiencing some lag/delay not when a call comes in but only when we try to transfer that call out externally (cell or landline).  I have downloaded all the Log Files.  I want to see how much resources my system is using, particularly CPU and Memory usage.  A Mitel tech informed me that this lag on the phone calls could be due to a feature we use where Voice Mails are sent directly to our employees emails.  He stated that this puts lots of strain on the phone system.  We have about 78 users and we have about 15 users that have this feature turned on.   Any other suggestions or perhaps can someone point me in the right direction as which specific logs to look at?

Patrick

Offline plim81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 - Logs - CPU usage and Memory usage
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »

My CPU usage is now 100%, it looks like most of the usage is coming from the 'Application' as opposed to 'Users'.  Can anyone tell me what logs to look at to troubleshoot this?

Patrick 

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »
If you SSH into the controller and go to the command line, what are the main users when you run `top`?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Plim81,

If you look at those employees using Unified Messaging are they sending them as .wav files or .mp3?

If it is .mp3 and you don't have a PS-1 then change them to .wav in order to reduce the amount of CPU time it takes to convert them.

This may not fix your problem, but it will alleviate it.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Ryskie

• View Profile
    • T2K
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 08:13:32 AM »
If you use SIP i would make sure you are Tied down mainly on 5060, i have seen this before and it was the system being hacked.

Offline OPG

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »
Plim81-
We've often run into that CPU 100% issue, and it is usually an attack through the SSH port 22. As long as you are not using a PS-1 Server, you can disable that port in IP Settings. The attacks slow down all functions, often not letting you into programming even. Shutting down that port always solves the issue.

Offline nrgymover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  All comments were very helpful. 

When a call comes in to our Sales Dept, and they transfer the call out, what happens?  This is what takes place step-by-step.

A customer calls into our Sales Dept
The Sales Dept needs to transfer to one of our consultants (cell phone or landline)
The Sales Rep hits the transfer button, dials the number and then hangs up. 

After she hangs up who has control of that call?  I ask because I am just trying to track down the quality/lag issue we've been experiencing.  Our voice ISP is with Windstream and we just switched over to Telepacific.  Switching ISPs made no difference, we still experience the issue.  Can anyone tell me what happens after our Sales Dept hangs up to transfers the call? What happens?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 01:40:41 PM »
Plim81-
We've often run into that CPU 100% issue, and it is usually an attack through the SSH port 22. As long as you are not using a PS-1 Server, you can disable that port in IP Settings. The attacks slow down all functions, often not letting you into programming even. Shutting down that port always solves the issue.
Better to close the port in the firewall than shutdown the port... Someday someone will forget it's off, and fight for hours trying to figure out why they can't SSH into the controller.

One of our old techs used to shutdown 5060 for SIP on controllers that didn't use it when installed for "security reasons"... the first time I ran into that was years later after that tech had left and had to go to a customer to install a Polycom IP Conference phone, fought with it for hours to get it working and finally called tech support who found it in a few minutes, but I had pretty much wasted an entire day for what should have been an in and out job.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  All comments were very helpful. 

When a call comes in to our Sales Dept, and they transfer the call out, what happens?  This is what takes place step-by-step.

A customer calls into our Sales Dept
The Sales Dept needs to transfer to one of our consultants (cell phone or landline)
The Sales Rep hits the transfer button, dials the number and then hangs up. 

After she hangs up who has control of that call?  I ask because I am just trying to track down the quality/lag issue we've been experiencing.  Our voice ISP is with Windstream and we just switched over to Telepacific.  Switching ISPs made no difference, we still experience the issue.  Can anyone tell me what happens after our Sales Dept hangs up to transfers the call? What happens?
So an outside call comes in, and the call taker transfers it out to an external number (not on-switch/in-network)?

What kind of trunks?

The call takes 2 trunks (analog), 2 channels (PRI/T1), or 2 concurrent call sessions (SIP), one coming into the Mitel and one going out... the Mitel is in "control" of both legs but if any leg disconnects the system should drop the remaining leg.

Offline nrgymover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »

acejavelin, hopefully I'm answering your question.  We are not on SIP and don't have analog lines.  We have a smart voice PRI with Telepacific.  Telepacific is then piggy-backing off Time Warner Cable's fiber line.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »
acejavelin, hopefully I'm answering your question.  We are not on SIP and don't have analog lines.  We have a smart voice PRI with Telepacific.  Telepacific is then piggy-backing off Time Warner Cable's fiber line.
Gotcha, this is most likely what we call a "SIP PRI", meaning it is SIP into a gateway device, such as an Adtran unit, but it is converted to a PRI to be presented to equipment as a digital trunk. Works fine as long as your internet connection is solid.

Lag and call quality issues are often the result of your carrier though... if it is reproducable test it. Is there lag/delay from phone to phone internally, or just when involving and outside party? My guess is it is just when an outside call is party, and it is exasperated when it is a call in and out. Get call examples with date, time, duration, issue, originating, and terminating number and call your carrier and report it. If the calls are bad internally, that is a while different ball game, probably internal LAN network QOS issues of some kind.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10