Author Topic: Dropped calls between networked branches  (Read 784 times)

Offline Camoron

• View Profile
Dropped calls between networked branches
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
Hey guys,

I have 4 branches networked together, and there is currently a big problem  between two of them wherein calls between them are frequently being dropped. This company was having lots of issues a few months ago with every branch going down frequently, and this was fixed by upgrading each branch to 6.0.11 (the latest version at the time). Since then, things have been relatively smooth between most branches, though I understand there have been a few calls dropped between other branches, however, between two of them in particular, there have been a lot of issues. The phone systems are set up on a VPN that runs through their main office as a central hub, so all call traffic is routed through the main office. They are all running on (decently) fast internet connections so I don't think that should be causing any problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? The client would like to know if they should take the phone systems off the VPN. The only way I am aware of doing this is to put each phone system on its own external IP address, which we would get directly from the ISP, but the client was wondering if they could simply put it on the internal network and use port forwarding (I do not think this would be a good idea even if it is feasible).

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped calls between networked branches
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »
Camoron,

Well, there shouldn't be a firewall between any of the phone systems according to engineering guidelines.

You could have them put in an MPLS in between sites and just have layer 3 routing handling the rest. This would also give them some metrics to determine if they are having network issues between sites as well.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10