Author Topic: Mitel boarder gateway  (Read 2503 times)

Offline cholzhauer

• View Profile
Mitel boarder gateway
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:54:29 AM »
Has anyone used the Mitel Boarder gateway service?  If so, can you provide your experiences and why you used it instead of your normal firewall?  I've read over the marketing stuff from Mitel and it doesn't seem to match what one of the techs says it can do.

Any experiences welcome.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel boarder gateway
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
We've not used it with a 5000, but have used it many many times with MCD/3300.

Really it's just the ease of setup that makes it faster to doing the port forwards through the data firewall, since it is itself a firewall. It also allows for resiliency and redundancy if you have multiple MBG's over different ISP's.

What was the tech saying that you felt was different than the docs?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »
MBG is an excellent session border controller/edge router for MiNet or SIP devices and SIP trunking... the obvious advantage is complete support with the Mitel platforms (5000, 3300, etc). After using many firewalls with mixed results, MBG is rock solid in every instance we have ever installed it, and I have done several dozen.

Offline cholzhauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
Guess my reply never was posted...oops.

The tech had mentioned things about teleworker mode that I didn't see in the marketing fluff.  A post on another site linked me to http://edocs.mitel.com/UG/Apps-Solutions/MiCollab%207.0/MBG/MBG_EGs_R9.1.pdf which made a little more sense. 

My goal is to make it easier for people to take their phones to and from the office.  From the other site, that seems to be do-able with this product.

Here's that post.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1364979-mitel-boarder-gateway

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
Guess my reply never was posted...oops.

The tech had mentioned things about teleworker mode that I didn't see in the marketing fluff.  A post on another site linked me to http://edocs.mitel.com/UG/Apps-Solutions/MiCollab%207.0/MBG/MBG_EGs_R9.1.pdf which made a little more sense. 

My goal is to make it easier for people to take their phones to and from the office.  From the other site, that seems to be do-able with this product.

Here's that post.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1364979-mitel-boarder-gateway
I didn't look at the links, but if your goal is to allow users to take their phones home and back, you may be biting off a little more than you think. For MiNet phones (52xx/53xx series) you have to make a change in the phone's programming in the 5000 if it is inside the network (Native) or outside (NAT) or the audio doesn't work. It really doesn't matter if it's MBG or some other SBC or router solution, if it transverses NAT you have to adjust it manually in the 5000 on a per station basis. Also, the users will have to take their phone in and out of Teleworker mode, and enter the IP address manually every time they take it outside the corporate network.

Is this really the solution you are looking for?

Offline lowradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:09 PM »
If you're using an MBG then you don't have to change a remote phone to NAT
From the help file on the 5000:
If the 5000 CP is not connected to a MBG, and there are remote 53xx series phones outside of the network, then the NAT Address Type needs to be set to NAT.
If the 5000 CP is connected to a MBG with remote 53xx series phones outside the network, then the NAT Address Type needs to be set to Native

They will still have to take the phone in an out of teleworker mode tho...

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
I agree that the MBG solves the changing to NAT issue which is required without it.

Offline IPInstaller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Hi.

MBG is great for bypassing customer firewalls as these regularly cause connectivity issues.

As long as you can get a public IP assigned to a DMZ port you should be fine.

MBG increases security of Remote SIP and Mitel devices as it introduces a secondary layer of credential requirement to connect a device.

We regularly find customers with SIP 5060 open who experience DOS attacks. MBG deals with all these, thus also meaning that the 5000 processor is left to deal with intended traffic not attacks which can lead to the 5000 CPU running at 100%.

Although you have to purchase SIP proxy and Teleworkers licences on top of the base pack it is well worth the investment. We have seen much more stable systems with more security from toll fraud etc as a result of installing MBG.

Good luck.
IPI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »
lol... I didn't even think about the NAT setting, but your right we never have to change it with a MBG, only standard port forwarding for remote phones.

My bad...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10