Author Topic: SIP Trunk  (Read 1538 times)

Offline MitelAvayaNortel

• View Profile
SIP Trunk
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:47:49 AM »
Hi,

I've just been speaking with the supplier of our Mitel kit looking at adding SIP trunks to our existing estate.  They are saying we will need to add a dedicated EFM circuit to our network to handle the SIP trunks rather than provide over our existing 100mb fibre Internet connection.  Does anyone here have any take on this please?

Thanks

Offline x-man

• View Profile
Re: SIP Trunk
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
How many trunks? can your firewall appliance dedicate bandwidth to services like SIP trunking or to a dedicated point to point link to the SIP provider network. All these will work if you have spare capacity on the 100mbit link. 25 SIP trunks should be happy on 2 mbit easily.

Offline MitelAvayaNortel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:00:11 AM »
The quote is for 10 SIP trunks.  The setup was to be Internet -> MBG -> 3300, so a direct connection to the BTnet router (via a 1Gb switch.) over which we have no control.  The only sticking point appears to be the lack of QOS on BTnet circuits.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:16:28 AM »
I would have thought it would handle 10 SIP trunks easily as long as your 100mb link is not saturated. I'm surprised they want an EFM for 10 trunks though...a decent FTTC link would handle that and as you have fibre in you would probably get a 80/20 FTTP easily.

Offline MitelAvayaNortel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
That was my take too, but they won't support SIP if we don't have QOS and they say we can only get QOS on their EFM.  I might see if we can just trial it over our current link as I can't see its ever more than 80% loaded.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10