Author Topic: New location  (Read 2939 times)

Offline roswell

• Contributer
    • View Profile
New location
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
My office recently moved locations. As the IT manager I was tasked with moving the Mitel 5000 system to the new office and coordinating with AT&T.  All went well, except that I am now unable to log on with the software I used before. I am sure it is due to the IP address changing, but not sure how to work around it.  At the old place we had a server that was feeding the IPs, but it got injured in the move and we have since decided to not have a data server at all due to our small size.

Anyway, the software keeps trying to connect to the server at 192.168.005.222 and that is what is displayed on the server. However, I do not think that is correct anymore and can not log on at all.

Should I call Mitel and get a tech sent out or is there a way I can personally work around the issue?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline cholzhauer

• View Profile
Re: New location
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
So you're doing DHCP?

The LCD on the front of the MItel will show you the address...just change the connection properties for the programming software to match that. 

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
My guess is that the phones, and the system itself are on a different vlan.

The server you've removed did your intra-vlan routing. So you can no longer get to the 192.168.5.X network from your regular data network.

You would need something (a router or another server) to provide that kind of setup again.

Offline roswell

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
DHCP was turned off.

The LCD was reading the old IP (192.168.005.222) which is what was saved in the software.

I used the LCD to manually change the IP, Subnet and Gateway addresses to the new address that my switch was feeding it.

I rebooted and tried to connect to that IP, but it didn't work.

I just turned DHCP on (but haven't rebooted yet) and it didn't work. However, I'm going to try again once I get a chance to reboot.

Offline roswell

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
Rebooting didn't help   :-[

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »
Is your computer network in the same subnet as the system?
Do you have any VLANS? I am assuming there are no IP Phones.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 07:53:26 AM »
Roswell,

Why don't you start with the basics when troubleshooting this problem.

The System will have a network connect or two depending on whether it is the CS or HX model of the 5000. Regardless you should be able to statically assign your laptop to an address on the same subnet as the 5000 and just plug into the back of it.

If you are able to connect to it then you need to figure out your network situation.

If you are not able to connect to it then you need to verify that the current network configuration of the 5000 is what you are trying to connect to and then verify that you are on the same subnet with your laptop and then see if you can at least ping it.

It sounds to me that during the move that you also made some changes to the network and possibly the switches. If that is the case then most likely there is no longer a Layer 3 route to the subnet that the phone system is on. As you are not talking about having an issue with the phones not being able to work then I assume that they are not IP Phones, but digital ones.

Thanks,

TE

Offline roswell

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
Is your computer network in the same subnet as the system?
Do you have any VLANS? I am assuming there are no IP Phones.

Out of the office today and won't be back for a week, but will have to check the subnet.

No VLANS and no IP Phones

Roswell,

Why don't you start with the basics when troubleshooting this problem.

The System will have a network connect or two depending on whether it is the CS or HX model of the 5000. Regardless you should be able to statically assign your laptop to an address on the same subnet as the 5000 and just plug into the back of it.

If you are able to connect to it then you need to figure out your network situation.

If you are not able to connect to it then you need to verify that the current network configuration of the 5000 is what you are trying to connect to and then verify that you are on the same subnet with your laptop and then see if you can at least ping it.

It sounds to me that during the move that you also made some changes to the network and possibly the switches. If that is the case then most likely there is no longer a Layer 3 route to the subnet that the phone system is on. As you are not talking about having an issue with the phones not being able to work then I assume that they are not IP Phones, but digital ones.

Thanks,

TE

Not sure if CS or HX, but will check on that. I'll try plugging into the back and see how it goes.

Yes, during the move we got rid of our server and I had to reset the switch.

Yes, the phones are not IP and are working fine.

The only things not working are that I am unable to sign in using the software by navigating to the IP over the network and I had set people up to get .Wav files of their voicemails in their emails and that is down as well.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
I generally get people upset when I say these things, but I'll say it anyway...

If you don't even know what model your phone system is, why in the world did you feel qualified to move it? Is saving the money on getting a vendor involved worth the risk of losing phone service and the potential impact on business?

Offline roswell

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
I generally get people upset when I say these things, but I'll say it anyway...

If you don't even know what model your phone system is, why in the world did you feel qualified to move it? Is saving the money on getting a vendor involved worth the risk of losing phone service and the potential impact on business?

As I said, I'm out of the office today and just didn't have that information with me.

Edit: We have the HX used to have the CS so, I wanted to verify before stating incorrect information and couldn't at the time of my last reply.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:25:42 PM by roswell »

Offline roswell

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
There was a system reset and it changed IPs. Now, I am able to Ping it and my voicemails are going to email again. However, I am still unable to access using the software. Please see attached photo. Thank you.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »
Roswell,

Take your phone system off of your network and plug just your laptop in the back of it and statically assign your laptop to an address that is on the same network as the phone system. If you can get in that way then go to IP Settings and find out how the system's network setting are configured and then figure out what needs to change to get it working on your new network.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10