Author Topic: MBG as MCD FTP Backup Point  (Read 2940 times)

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MBG as MCD FTP Backup Point
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:31 AM »
I have a customer who's MCD controllers can not see the internet.

However they do have a standalone MBG server. I see through the Proxy services that I can enable FTP, and then have the controllers FTP backup to the MBG server.

My question then is, when I perform weekly off-site backups of the MBG server, will those backups include the MCD backups?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: MBG as MCD FTP Backup Point
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
You could do this, probably, but it isn't a supported setup by Mitel and it won't get backed up by the normal MSL backup either,  so it would take a bit of work on the Linux command line.

You have to install a CentOS/Redhat compatible ftp service and config it manually via its local config text files and setup a user and home directory. This part would be pretty easy, I'm sure we could find tutorials all over the Internet.

The trick would be getting the backup off the machine with the normal MSL backup process.  I am fairly certain when you do a backup, it just runs a script(s) that tar up a bunch of files/directories and gzips them up. The tricky part would be find these scripts and either (a) modify them to include the 3300's home ftp directory or (b) make the 3300's ftp home directory reside somewhere in a path that's already in the backup script. Frankly, both are a little dangerous as long term solutions. 

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »
You could do this, probably, but it isn't a supported setup by Mitel and it won't get backed up by the normal MSL backup either,  so it would take a bit of work on the Linux command line.

It is actually built-in to the proxy services, so I just had to assign an FTP password and turn it on. I was then able to backup a controller to it.

So I guess the remaining question is about getting the 3300 backups included in the MSL backup.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:33:37 AM »

It is actually built-in to the proxy services, so I just had to assign an FTP password and turn it on. I was then able to backup a controller to it.

So I guess the remaining question is about getting the 3300 backups included in the MSL backup.
Gotta find the MSL backup script and look at it. I am on the road today, but this intrigues me, I might try playing with it later. I would think running a backup and using top would find it pretty easily. 

The issue with using the inbuilt ftp server is where it would put the file, and how we manipulate that to get it in the backup.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »

Gotta find the MSL backup script and look at it. I am on the road today, but this intrigues me, I might try playing with it later. I would think running a backup and using top would find it pretty easily. 

The issue with using the inbuilt ftp server is where it would put the file, and how we manipulate that to get it in the backup.

I pulled the MSL backup, and within \home\e-smith\Maildir\new the 3300 backups are there. So I guess I'm good to go.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
Wow... Awesome.  It's almost like they built it to work that way then.  Very cool. Guess I was just over complicating it for nothing. 

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm actually impressed that they did account for this.

The only thing that does have me concerned is that it won't auto-delete the 3300 backups. The help states that you have to manually access the MSL via an FTP client to delete those.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:39:23 PM »
You could build a simple bash script to delete everything in that directory and build it as a weekly cron job that runs before the 3300 does its backup.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10