Author Topic: Mitel 5000 - Adding a POE switch - Netgear & Cisco switches  (Read 3405 times)

Offline nrgymover

• View Profile
Mitel 5000 - Adding a POE switch - Netgear & Cisco switches
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »

We have a Mitel 5000 system and use VOip/POE.  We have two working Netgear gs748tp 48-port gigabit POE switches that all our phones plug into.  We are trying to add a Cisco SG500-52p POE switch to add more phones.  When we plug our phones into this Cisco switch it does power on but it says contacting DHCP server.  When I plug a laptop into the Cisco switch I get an ip address, I have Internet and I can ping across all our networks (192 and 172 networks).

On one of our Netgear switches, ports 1 & 2 are on VLAN 10 (192.168.170.0 network).  Port 1 connects to our Mitel phone system and Port 2 connects to our Sonicwall firewall.  The rest of the ports are on VLAN 1 (172.16.202.0 network).   

I haven't configured anything on my Cisco switch yet.  What do I need to do? Why can't my Mitel phone get an ip address?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 - Adding a POE switch - Netgear & Cisco switches
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:24:17 PM »
It sounds like your phones are to be in VLAN 10. With the Cisco as default there will be not VLAN's configured.
First thing to do is setup the VLAN on the Cisco and then allow that VLAN on the port that you will plug phones in to (i.e. Allow tagged vlan 10)

How are your other phones getting to VLAN 10? Static, CDP/LLDP, DHCP?

Offline nrgymover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »

It's all dhcp.  The dhcp addresses are coming from our sonicwall firewall.  On our 2nd Netgear switch all the ports 1 - 48 are on VLAN 10 and all of them are Tagged ports.  Every one of these ports has a phone connected to it and they are all working.  The phones get a 192.168.170.0 address.  All pc's are connected to the phones and get an ip address 172.16.202.0 which I don't fully understand.  I tried making a few ports on vlan 10 on the Cisco switch and tagging them.  I also disabled stp but doesn't seem to make a difference.  As I stated, the phones power on because of POE but it can't the phones still can't seem to find an ip address from the DHCP server.  any ideas?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
nrgymover,

The problem is that your phones are most likely not getting their VLAN ID. This can be done one of two ways.

1. You statically assign it.
2. It is handed via LLDP-MED/CDP from the switch.

If the phones, any of them, do not show that they get a VLAN ID from the switch when they come up then you most likely have to statically assign them and then they will get the correct IP Address.

Another thing to look at is whether or not the PC plugged into the phone is getting an IP Address. If it is then your link is good and data is flowing correctly. If it doesn't you may have an issue with the data cables themselves.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »
nrgymover,

The problem is that your phones are most likely not getting their VLAN ID. This can be done one of two ways.

1. You statically assign it.
2. It is handed via LLDP-MED/CDP from the switch.

If the phones, any of them, do not show that they get a VLAN ID from the switch when they come up then you most likely have to statically assign them and then they will get the correct IP Address.

Another thing to look at is whether or not the PC plugged into the phone is getting an IP Address. If it is then your link is good and data is flowing correctly. If it doesn't you may have an issue with the data cables themselves.

Thanks,

TE
You forgot they can get VLAN info from DHCP.  :)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:51:06 PM »
Acejavelin,

I didn't forget that it could, but it obviously isn't set up to do it so the issue would be with the VLAN; from what I am reading.

In reality they should let the 5000 handle the DHCP requests for the phones if the system is at a high enough version to allow for that.

Thanks,

TE

Offline nrgymover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
Thanks guys for all your help.

We now can use both the Netgear and the Cisco switches for the phones.  I pretty much just had understand the following:   

Untagged -> Only a PC understands this language
Tagged -> Only phones understand this
1UP -> stands for VLAN 1 Untagged Primary (this is how the uplink port gets untagged traffic, then you add Vlan 10 and Tag it).

And I just needed to configure two areas within the Cisco switch (attached pics):

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10