Author Topic: do i have a defective phone  (Read 2302 times)

Offline pgartner

• Contributer
    • View Profile
do i have a defective phone
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »
I am trying to determine if I have a defective phone or something else is going on.

We recently (june or july) swapped their 5330e (ext 1201) for a new 5330e that has a wireless handset and wireless ear piece. for the older phone we created a new ext 1204.

the client is now reporting that when the user on ext 1201 answers an inbound call from line one (3891) the line gets cut off right away. Calls from line 2 (4581) work fine. Answering line 1 from the old phone (1204) works, as does answering from the 2nd extension button 1201 on any of the other 2 phone in the system.

Of note we paired the wireless handset when we got the unit, but never was able to pair the wireless ear piece. No lights light up, nor does it light up when in the charge cradle.   This is a separate issue.

My call flow is
(analog lines) --> star --> cra --> hunt group --> hunt group extension list (rings 1201 and 1204)

On the phones they have call appearance 1 and 2. The incoming call is always on call appearance 1
The autotext from the cra plays fine.

This is what I did so far
Function 394 to reset the phone
hybrid test line
loop start test lines
create new ext 1206 and remap to 1201
problems did not go away (always sticking to the cordless unit)
I then rebooted the system
Same issue
Just now I swapped the MAC address of 1201 and 1204, so the wireless is 1204, and the problem follows the physical phone (the wireless one)

This site is about 4 hours from me, so I only have limited things a can do to further test.

Is my wireless phone defective?  Could there be something in the phone system that is bugging?

What would you guys do? Replace the phone?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: do i have a defective phone
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »
pgartner,

Hmm, Well there are issues with wireless handsets or headsets with certain versions of software and an upgrade to the latest version seems to fix the problem. Now, that being said the issue you are having doesn't seem to strike the same cord as the others in memory, but you never know when it comes to those things.

What you can do is have them stop using the cordless device on that phone by just removing it and putting on the corded handset and see if that resolves the issue for them. The issue with the cordless headset seems to be more of a bad battery on the device so it could never be paired, but then again it could just be bad in general.

If the problem follows the phone then obviously the issue is with the hardware and now you just need to determine whether it is the base phone itself or the cordless module and devices; my money is on the cordless module and devices being the culprit so just have them remove them and see if it persists.

Hopefully that gives you a little more confidence going in on further troubleshooting, but so far with the steps you have taken the problem is obviously a hardware one. I also hope that you left the corded handset that came with the phone so the user can remove the wireless portion and put on the corded one. If you have them remove the module and device don't forget to tell them about the strap inside the phone that will need to be removed.

Thanks,

TE

Offline pgartner

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »

Hmm, Well there are issues with wireless handsets or headsets with certain versions of software and an upgrade to the latest version seems to fix the problem. Now, that being said the issue you are having doesn't seem to strike the same cord as the others in memory, but you never know when it comes to those things.

What you can do is have them stop using the cordless device on that phone by just removing it and putting on the corded handset and see if that resolves the issue for them. The issue with the cordless headset seems to be more of a bad battery on the device so it could never be paired, but then again it could just be bad in general.

If the problem follows the phone then obviously the issue is with the hardware and now you just need to determine whether it is the base phone itself or the cordless module and devices; my money is on the cordless module and devices being the culprit so just have them remove them and see if it persists.

Hopefully that gives you a little more confidence going in on further troubleshooting, but so far with the steps you have taken the problem is obviously a hardware one. I also hope that you left the corded handset that came with the phone so the user can remove the wireless portion and put on the corded one. If you have them remove the module and device don't forget to tell them about the strap inside the phone that will need to be removed.

Thanks for the reply,

the system is running  v 6.0.10.88 (6.0 sp1, pr1 release 43) as part of a networked setup with 2 other mitel 5000's on the same software version.  can I run mix software versions on the network?  as I said earlier this site is 4 hours from me. do you think it is safe (and wise) to try to do a software update remotely? (I have access to a local PC onsite with the mitel tools so I can launch the upgrade from there)

do you recall what issue there were with the cordless devices?

the new phone was sold and dropped shipped by the telco, I only maintain the system. I have not laid my hands on this new phone.  from what I can tell it was a bundle with the wireless module already installed. I don't even know if they got the wired handset with the new phone. I will verify and see if using a wired handset changes anything.

what bugs me, and maybe I should have used better terminology earlier, is that only call on analog trunk 1 (3891)have this issue. calls on analog trunk 2 (4581) are fine. if it is hardware, shouldn't the problem be the same answering either trunk?

as for the earpiece, I think that either the battery is defective, or the charge cradle is not properly connected. I am think the cradle. but I can not verify anything from remote :(

Paul

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
pgartner,

The latest version is 6.0.11.118 [6.0 SP2 PR3], and yes you can run mixed software versions, but you must stay within Mitel's standards which is one software version back basically; or you won't get very good support on it.

Anyway, the issue was that the phone would provide a warning beep [same as busy signal] and then show something about hookflash on the phone display. If you wait a few seconds then the audio will come through and you can start the conversation.

Yeah, I am not sure why it would only happen on one of them, but it may require you to go out and physically see what is happening; take a handset.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »
You can network just about any version, you will just be limited to the feature set available on the local system. I have version 5.0 and 5.1 networked with 6.0 systems, along with a 2.4 site (it's a long story, don't ask).

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
DND ON,

That is an accurate statement, but it is not supported by Mitel is what I was trying to say.

Thanks,

TE

Offline pgartner

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »
just to update you. the client is not is willing to authorise overtime hours to upgrade the firmware, nor for the travel to their site to do further diagnostics

so we have asked the vendor (telco) to replace the phone. with all their red tape and the time it takes big gear for the cooperate machine to come around, it will be awhile before we see any action on getting a replacement.

which, I asked them to send to me first so I can test to make sure it works before sending out to the client.

Many thanks

Paul

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10