Author Topic: Mitel sx-200 what is needed to go to 5 pots lines instead of 1 hybryde t-1  (Read 1573 times)

Offline IT-Tom

• Contributer
    • View Profile
I have a Mitel sx -200 phone system that currently uses a t-1 type connection, but not an actual t-1 some sort of hybrid with it's own bill. I also have a bill from Century link for 5 telephone numbers that roll over to our main line. Would it be possible, and easy to just convert over to 5 pots lines instead of the T-1 type line, and get rid of the extra bill for the T-1 Line? What are my obstacles? Tom... I am an entry level phone guy that is more used to IT work. Thanks.  Also what is the benefit of the current set up rather than just 5 Pots lines?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Likely you have some type of flex circuit carrying both voice and internet. Whether it would be wise to move to the pots, not sure. Are you certain that this is a hunt for you main number? It may be some disaster recovery fail over. Certainly a T1 circuit has more options than pots and perhaps a fractional might be an option or may be the case. T1 would provide DID service i.e. it can carry multiple phone numbers in a dynamic fashion as opposed to the one to one nature of pots lines, also voice quality will likely be better.

Since you haven't provided enought info it hard to say if you need more equipment.

Offline IT-Tom

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Thank you, I will be doing more research into what the actual current circuit configuration is, I did check for any data component, and there is not a data portion being used on the line. the smart jack connects to a cisco IAD2400, and then one RJ-45 cable goes from there to the Mitel SX-200 PBX. There is a (T-1 DSI card in the Mitel cabinet) I just can't figure if the Cisco IAD2400 was there just to allow our service provider (that is a reseller of Century link service) to have more ability to break out services through their line, or if it is providing some other function. My main concern is that our current bill for 5 voice call paths is being billed at $388.38,(from the re-seller) and Century link is also billing us for $135.00 for 5 lines, and if we can  convert to 5 pots lines at around $22.00 each per month from another re-seller that has made an offer, then we should be able to lower our bill by quite a bit. I just don't know if our equipment can do the job with just 5 pots lines, but I have a feeling that it was set up in that way at one time from looking at our 66-block punch down, we had a bunch of pots lines coming in at one time that are now no longer in use. As far a quality goes, we have a Century link fiber cabinet across the street, and all our current pots lines for alarm circuits come from there so they only travel from our building to their cabinet across the street in analog before they go digital over the fiber so we have pretty good line quality available through the pots lines. Thanks to everyone that has any ideas or comments on this. Tom...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10