Author Topic: Programming feature keys  (Read 8038 times)

Offline brad_kl

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Programming feature keys
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Hi,

I am somewhat new to a Mitel system which I now support but have used other IP phone systems and have plenty of IT knowledge generally. I have a problem in programming a feature key on a 5312 Phone using a Mitel 5000 system

I actually have come across 3 problems which may or may not be related.

When I start up the DB programming, I get the attached error. I click yes and continue as normal.

One of the handsets/extensions i'm looking at, the programmable keys don't match what's actually on the phone. i.e. it's a 12 button phone. button 1 - 8 are all other extensions (PKM/DSS Key) but that's not what it shows me in the DB programming. That doesn't make sense.

Lastly, when i go to change a programmable key, i select 'feature key' for key type but it won't let me save anything in the selection. I 've tried typing in the code or right-click and 'change selection' but neither work. I've tried different extensions and they all do the same thing.

Thanks for the assistance
Brad

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Programming feature keys
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:59:42 AM »
brad_kl,

Unfortunately I have never run into that error before so I am not sure what it is referring to. As for the programmable keys portion I can explain how the phone uses them and hopefully that will provide you an answer when you look at the programming of the phone that is giving you issues.

There are a few places to look when dealing with programmable keys and keymaps.

First go to the phone and verify the keymaps that it is using.

System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > {extension} > Keymaps: see the number of the keymaps for Standard and Alternate.

Also look at the programmable keys under the phone as that is where the system stores the information for the programmable keys of that extension.

System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > {extension} > Programmable Keys: This is where the values are saved for the programmable keys of this extension.

Next go to the Keymaps that are shown under the phones Keymaps.

System > Phone-Related Information > Key Assignments > IP/Digital Telephone > {number of keymap for standard} > Keymap Type: This will show you what the keys are programmed for when the phone is using its standard keymap; that is when the Alternate Keymap feature code is not used. Anything that is a User Programmable Key will start off with a value that shows up under the Programmable keys under this keymap.

System > Phone-Related Information > Key Assignments > IP/Digital Telephone > {number of keymap for standard} > User Programmable Keys: This is where the default settings of the programmable keys are stored for a keymap. These values are used until the user reprogrammes them and then the values stored under the extensions programmable keys are used. These will also be the values used if you use the feature code 395 Default Keymap.

System > Phone-Related Information > Key Assignments > IP/Digital Telephone > {number of keymap for alternate} > Keymap Type: If the keymap is different for the user when they use the Alternate Keymap this is the keymap that is used. Most of the time if the engineer doesn't want anything to change the values under the phone for the Standard and Alternate will be the same. With that said all the rest of the information remains the same.

Now, to make a change to a programmable key the easiest way for the user is to use the feature key 397, press the key they are able to change, and then put in the feature code or extension they want to use. Now if the key they  press is not a User Programmable Key then it will not allow them to make a change to that key. If the key is a programmable key and they want to change it then just follow the steps again and it will be changed. If they want to clear our just one User Programmable Key and not all of them using the 395 Feature Code then just use the Hold button to erase all the information and then save that by pressing the speaker button.

The easiest way for a programmer to change the keys is to do it through the programming interface under the extension Programmable Keys settings.

Thanks,

TE

Offline brad_kl

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 11:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply TE.

So i've checked a phone at each of our two satellite offices. They are both showing different things programmed when I compare when the  buttons on the phone are actually doing to what the programming says those buttons do.

for example. I have an extension 1416 which has a standard keymap of 4 and an alternate keymap of 4.

The settings under System > Phone-Related Information > Key Assignments > IP/Digital Telephone > 4 > User Programmable Keys
exactly match
System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > 1416 > Programmable Keys

Now this makes sense because the extension is using the programming from it's assigned keymap.

But then why do the buttons do something different to what is listed under System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > 1416 > Programmable Keys???

The Programmable Keys for that keymap are either undefined key or feature key.

Thanks again, appreciate the help

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
User Programmable Keys are an entirely different animal and bear no direct relation ship to the key number on the key map.  So let's say we have key #12 on the key map as Record...it will always be Record.  But if we program key #12 as USER PROGRAMMABLE KEY #23 it will use whatever is set as the value for #23 in the USER PROGRAMMABLE KEYS section of that key map as its DEFAULT value (maybe RECORD, maybe something else), but that value can be changed on different phones either through the db programming, the user web interface or by pressing a series of feature codes in.  So if it's a UPK it might be different for you and I.  Hope this helps.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »
brad_kl,

First of all there could be a couple of reasons this is happening. The first is exactly what Dwayneg has just explained as that allows several users to have the same default keymap and then have something different on the User Programmable Keys [UPK]; this save a programmer from making an individual keymap for each and every phone.

Now a second less common reason is that the keymap doesn't match the phone type. Let's say that you have a 5320 IP phone and the Keymap is for a 5330 IP Phone. The two phones look a lot alike, but the keys do not line up the same when a 5320 uses that keymap then when a 5330 uses it.

Look at the style of the phone you are working with and then look at the style of phone that the keymap is for; hopefully this is not your problem.

Now, you are only telling us that you looked at the programmable keys so we can only assume that the normal key programming was never looked at, which could be the issue, or you look at it and they match up as well.

Another issue could be that you have paper labels, eeeeeeckk, that are labeled differently then the keys are programmed. If you use the Feature Code 396 [default] to view the keys and then press each key one at a time they will tell you what the key is programmed for. If you do a 397 [Default] and press the key and it is a User Programmable Key it will allow you to change it to something else or if you press the hold button to clear out each character at a time it will delete it.

Hopefully that gets you a little closer to your answer. The hard part is that if I were standing right in front of it this would be a 2 second conversion, but since we can't see the phone or the programming we have to direct you in the most likely areas to help you figure it out.

Thanks,

TE

Offline brad_kl

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 03:03:09 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the ongoing assistance.

I have confirmed that the keymap is for a 5212/5312 and the phone is a 5312, so that's ok. The paper labels shouldn't be the issue because it's only a small office and they would know if the paper labels were wrong.

As I understand it, the keymap is like a template. So I could have a keymap for the 3 senior accountants and by default they will all have the same keys programmed on their phones (i.e. whatever is under system > phone related information > key assignments > IP/Digital telphone > 7 > user programmable keys) Is this correct?

And if i look under System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > 1621 > Programmable Keys - it's the exact same as above. Now this makes sense because ext 1621 uses keymap 7.

But these key assignments still aren't what the user actually has on their phone.

So where do i find the 'normal key programming'?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »
brad_kl,

As I stated previously, and so far I haven't seen you mention, is that the standard key mapping is done under.

Quote from: TE
System > Phone-Related Information > Key Assignments > IP/Digital Telephone > {number of keymap for standard} > Keymap Type: This will show you what the keys are programmed for when the phone is using its standard keymap; that is when the Alternate Keymap feature code is not used. Anything that is a User Programmable Key will start off with a value that shows up under the Programmable keys under this keymap.

What I wasn't so clear on is that the keys that are hard programmed are under the Keymap Type under the Name heading so you have to double-left click the words Keymap Type to see how those keys are programmed.

Hopefully that allows you to see what you are looking for.

Thanks,

TE

Offline brad_kl

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
What I wasn't so clear on is that the keys that are hard programmed are under the Keymap Type under the Name heading so you have to double-left click the words Keymap Type to see how those keys are programmed.

That makes sense now, sorry i didn't realise i had to double click. I should have worked that out.

Ok, so that tells me that the 12 buttons down the middle of the phone are actually numbered 11 - 22. So that is interesting. I (wrongly) assumed they were 1 - 12.

Now I can see exactly the same programming as what she has. 11- 18 are other extensions. 19-22 are trunk keys (which would be incoming lines?)

So next question is, how do I make a change for this user only? i want to change button 14 to a DND button. I won't change the keymap because that would change it for all people that use that keymap. I would have to change button 14 to a UPK and then for this one user set that UPK to DND and all other that that use that keymap, set the UPK to the original setting.

Am I on the right track? Is there an easier way to do it?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:39:37 PM by brad_kl »

Offline brad_kl

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
I just had one other idea.

I have some spare keymaps. If I copy all the settings from keymap 7 to Keymap 8 (the spare one) and then re-assign the user to keymap 8. I can then make the changes I want and it will only affect that person

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 05:04:03 AM »
brad_kl,

Both of the solutions that you came up with would work and both are utilized by technicians. Although both are used you need to keep in mind that creating a keymap just for one person is usually not a good idea on large systems as you have a finite amount of keymaps to work with. In the end though it is up to you on how you want to do it and as long as it makes sense to you that is all that really matters.

Thanks,

TE

Offline brad_kl

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 02:45:58 AM »
Both of the solutions that you came up with would work and both are utilized by technicians. Although both are used you need to keep in mind that creating a keymap just for one person is usually not a good idea on large systems as you have a finite amount of keymaps to work with. In the end though it is up to you on how you want to do it and as long as it makes sense to you that is all that really matters.

Good to know. Thanks for all your help. I've done the programming required and I now know my way around the system far better than I did before.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10