Author Topic: 5360 Phone Error: Assert @ 451 Net_Layer2_Gem  (Read 3095 times)

Offline davidmp

• View Profile
5360 Phone Error: Assert @ 451 Net_Layer2_Gem
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »
Hi all,  I'm looking for ideas...

Previously working remote IP Mitel 5360 phone connected to a 5000 system started giving this error during an internet switchover at the remote office.  Other Mitel IP phone at remote office rebooted fine.  Things tried:  Reset to default, reentered teleworker settings, booting at working phone's location, returned phone to main office and main network.  Google doesn't find anything on the error.  I'm guessing it tried to download an update or something during the multiple reboots during the switchover and only got part of the update.

Error received quickly after powering up without pressing or holding a key:
Assert @ 451
NET_Layer2_GEM

Thanks,
David

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5360 Phone Error: Assert @ 451 Net_Layer2_Gem
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:59 AM »
davidmp,

Your assumption would only hold true if there was an update on the 5000 as well where the phone would need to do an update. Try going into the phone and defaulting it completely and see if it boots fine after that.

Thanks,

TE

Offline davidmp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply TE,
That was one of the first things I tried. 
To confirm I'm at the right defaults:
•   Unplug and Replug while holding down the # key.  Keep holding # key until options come up.
•   Press * for Yes on Configure phone.
•   Press # for No on Network Parameters, Hardware Config, Phone Mode.
•   Press * for Yes on Tools and Features.
•   Press # for No on Erase Pin, Edit 8021X Settings, Edit CDP Settings, Edit LLDP Settings, Ping Test, DHCP TracePort Options, Disable PKT Filter, Diagnostics.
•   Press * for Yes on Restore Defaults.
•   Press * for Yes on Confirm.
•   Allow phone to reboot. 

After above, still get Assert @ 451 Net_Layer2_Gem

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
davidmp,

You could also try this.

To "Erase the Main Load", reboot the phone and hold down the blue application key, or the # key like you did before, or the up and down volume keys until you see a Configuration Menu.

When in the Configuration Menu, choose No until you get to Tools and Features, then choose Yes.

In this Menu, choose No until you get to Diagnostics, then choose Yes.

When in the Diagnostics Menu, press the UP Volume key once and you should see "Erase Main Load", choose Yes.

After choosing Yes, the phone will go through a reboot cycle to download the phone firmware from the 5000.

Do not disconnect the power during this process as it can damage the phone.

Now, I did have a different Assert, 117 I believe, which wouldn't let it download the firmware from the 5000 but I was able to get around it by setting up the LLDP settings manually on the phone. Since this is a similar Layer 2 issue you may be able to do the same thing by manually setting up the phone to connect to the system or just use a PoE brick and plug it in the alternate data jack on the system to get it to connect to the system and download the new firmware.

Thanks,

TE

Offline davidmp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »
TE,

Tried your suggestion on the "Erase Main Load" and I see the first changes in it since problem started. 

Problem is I might be going backwards...  Now I'm only getting a white screen with the same error message centered at the very top of the screen in black.  (previously was a colored Mitel logo and name, error message and copyright information all centered vertically).

Plus, I'm no longer able to get into the settings menus.  Only takes about 6 seconds from plugging power back into phone until error message even if holding down keys.  So I'm not able to try the LLDP settings you suggested.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
davidmp,

It seems that you phone may have a physical issue with it then as that should have deleted the 5000 firmware and reinstalled the base 3300 firmware into the phone. That was to make sure that if there was a firmware download issue from the 5000, as you thought may have happened, then it would have fixed the problem.

I just did it to a 5340 here and it worked as expected so at this point I would say that your phone needs to be physically replaced as it is having a hardware issue; most likely with its memory.

Sorry,

TE

Offline davidmp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »
Not an unexpected result at this point.   :-\
Thanks again for the help TE. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10