Author Topic: Remote User at home  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Remote User at home
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
Hi,
We are a small office with 20 employees. We have the MITEL 5330 IP phones for the last 2 years in our office.

Recently, we decided to have one of our employees work from home. She took one of the phone from the office. Our IT guys has program our firewall with the appropriate changes but the phone is not working.

This is what's on the phone screen:

MITEL
5330 IP Phone

Set xx.xx.x.xx
ICP xx.xx.x.xx

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
Re: Remote User at home
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
Did you turn on NAT for that extension and in IP programming?  Typically your NAT will be a public IP address that NATs to the PBX IP.  And be sure the phone points to the NAT, not the internal PBX address.

Offline mitelengineeruk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »
This sounds like a phone configuration issue or network issue at the remote end I think. Default the phones IP settings and reprogram it. You could always statically assign it an IP to rule out a DHCP issue on the remote router.

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:51 PM »
Thank you for the additional information. I will try when i am back in the office. I took one of the phones home and i plugged it in. The phone was booting up and there was an error message that states TFTP svr unavailable but then it moved forward to the screen with the ip addresses. I really thought this was weird.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:16:35 AM »
I would go with the nat setting being wrong. Esle the ports aren't opened correctly

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:13 AM »
I checked the settings:

IP connection - NAT IP address

Audio RTP Type of serv 0
AUdio Stream Receive Port 6004
Data Type of Serv 0
IP Terminal TCP Call Control 5566
IP Terminal General Purpose UDP Port 5567
MGCP Receive port 2427
TCP Call Control port 5570

IP Setting- System NAT IP address

Base Server...... (this has a big red X on it)
Current Process Module IP Address - This has our phone IP address
Current Process Module SUbnet mask - 255.xxx.xxx.x
Current Processor Module gateway -10.xx.x.xx
Processor Module DHCP Enabled - NO (Is this okay)

Current Process Module IP Address - 192.xxx.xxx.xx
Current Process Module SUbnet mask - 192.xx.
Listening Port Secured 44000
Listening Port Unsecured 4000
Listening Port Unsecured Enabled Yes
PPP IP -192.xxx.xxx.xxx
Enabled NAT IP - Yes

I really appreciate your help/

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:06:07 AM »
Dwayneg,

I am not sure what you meant by "Did you turn on NAT for that extension and in IP programming".

I have been looking around to find this section in the phone system.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
Spree0815,

First off make sure that you have The correct NAT setup under.
System > Devices and Feature Codes > IP Connections > P6000: {public IP}

This is the one that is used by the phones. If you have more than one Pxxxx number here you will need a unique public IP for each; I don't think this is the case for yours with the information provided previously.

Also there are more ports needed to be open than what you previously posted; there are a lot of threads on hear with the correct ones. If you have trouble finding them let us know, but start with a 1:1 NAT with any Tranvsersal helpers turned off. Once you get it working then locked down the ports to what is needed.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
System > Devices and Feature Codes > IP Connections >

P6000: Public IP address (provided by our internet provider)
P6001 ---Not sure we use this one so nothing was changed.
              255.xxx.xxx.xxx
Can you please help me find the correct codes?

Thank you.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
Spree0815,

I am going to assume that what you meant was ports and not codes. Here is a link to a thread that has the answer for the style phone you are working with.

http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=5775.msg25943#msg25943

As for the P6001 it is used for the PEC-1 which is by its very name an Expansion Card for the processor to provide more resources. You would have seen this in the IP Settings area as you would have had to given it an IP Address on the LAN as well. Most likely the P6001 has a red X through it which means it is not active.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »
Spree0815,

I have had a little more time to look at your original post and I can answer your second question to Dwayneg.

Quote from: Dwayneg
Did you turn on NAT for that extension and in IP programming?  Typically your NAT will be a public IP address that NATs to the PBX IP.  And be sure the phone points to the NAT, not the internal PBX address.

What he is referring to here in the first part is that the phone has NAT Transversal settings that tell it whether or not it is Native or NAT.

System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > {extension} > IP Settings > NAT Address Type: NAT

When the phone is on your LAN it would need to be set to Native and when you take it home it would need to be set for NAT, otherwise the phone system will ignore any requests for it from outside the LAN.

When he is telling you that the phone needs to "point to the NAT, not the internal PBX" he is referring to the programming of the phone itself. To program the phone for Teleworker mode you need to hold down the  7 key when it boots up and then put in the Pulic IP Address that you have set up to point to the 5000.

Quote from: Sarond
Try this:
Plug the phone in and hold down the 7 key until “Config Teleworker?” appears
Press * for yes
Press # for new
Enter IP address of PBX (Using # for . if needed)
Press the volume down key to save.
Press * to save changes and reboot phone.

Thanks,

TE
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:33:43 PM by Tech Electronics »

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
Thank you guys so much.

I will give the port info to our IT guy and I will take one of the phone home again and make the appropriate changes.

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 09:08:58 AM »
I am apologizing in advance for my question. We have 3 different people working on this for the pass month and its been going on too long.

I am getting confused about the whole process.Our IT guy was told by the phone company to open these ports on the firewall, which he did.

We have Hot desk profiles, not sure if this make a difference or not.

I am trying to double check work that's be done with all the information that was given to me.

Yesterday, I changed the extension to NAT and I also tired to config the phone to teleworker but I still get the message TFTP svr unavailable.
Then it continued to boot up and gets here.
MITEL
5330 IP Phone

Set 10.xx.x.xx
ICP 72.xx.x.xx (public IP address)
I was looking around in our phone system under IP Settings:

I wasn't able to find any info on the TFTP, Minet and the SAC. Maybe I am looking at the incorrect system.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Spree0815,

Alright, here is the process for the phone booting up so it makes a little sense as to what is going on.

When a phone boots up it will look for LLDP and than an IP Address, unless these were statically assigned. Since you did the Teleworker part that would not be the case.

After it gets that information, and since you put in the Teleworker IP Address prior, the phone will look for the TFTP Server. The TFTP Server for the 5000 is built into the 5000 and uses the IP Address. If you paid attention to the ports that needed to be opened you would have seen port 69 and 20001. If you didn't open either one of these then it would not be able to contact the TFTP Server.

After it contacts the TFTP Server it then tries to contact the Phone System and tell it what extension that it thinks that it is as well as its MAC Address for verification. If it can't communicate with the phone system then it will hang at the point you are posting about.

MiNet is the proprietary communications system that runs in the background between the phone and the phone system and you will not find anything about it in the System; the same thing goes for the SAC. These things are not something they want the average technician or user to be able to change unless there is a real need and then it is expected that there would either be a Mitel certified technician or engineer helping with that part.

Hopefully that answers you questions up to this point. Oh the Hotdesk Profile part  is for those people whom roam and then there would be extensions setup as HotDesk Extension that they could log into.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Spree0815

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
Thank you for the information. I didnt want to state the companies that we are working with on the internet. Right now, the blame is placed on the IT guy. I just want as to have as much information so if we need to make changes with who we are working with to get this done.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10