Author Topic: Day night mode  (Read 16219 times)

Offline dashrender

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Day night mode
« on: June 18, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
I'm trying to understand day/night mode on my setup

Under System > Trunk-Related Information > Call Routing Tables
There is a listing 1 through 15
1 = day mode
2 = night mode
3-15 are completely blank

What is telling my system when to use 1 vs 2?

second question:

Under Voice Processor > Devices > Application > Local > 2606 (I assume this was a randomly chosen number)
1-14 and 16-20 All have the same settings, (everything appears to be disabled)
but
15 has my start stop time activated and M-F value as YES.

Why is 15 used for our day mode instead of spot '1'?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Day night mode
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
The day and night ring-in destination on the CO trunk group will determine which call routing table is used.

The voice mail application you are describing is a STAR application, and will route calls as soon as a match is found. It's common practice to leave the top entries blank so they can later be used for special entries, such as holidays. If you put a holiday entry lower than your daily routing, it would never work.

Press F1 for help specific to the area in programming you're looking at, there's good info to be found.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »
Day and Night mode is controlled manually, usually by the attendant phone using a button or feature code.  There are a bunch of places where this comes into play such as what messages you hear, where trunks or DIDs route, whether calls go directly to voice mail etc.  Night Mode on or off changes all these parameters.

STAR applications are a schedule usually used INSTEAD of day and night mode.  Typically if you ring a trunk into a STAR it will control routing based on time, day, holiday etc.  If you use STAR for primary ring in routing you'd typically leave system in day mode always.  Neat trick: sometimes if I'm using STAR I'll use the day/night mode to override STAR for snow days, since you can invoke it remotely.

You can also use STARs anywhere you might need schedules such as sending calls to different places during shifts or sending calls to different on-call people each night.

Offline dashrender

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »
OK, thanks - I understand that there is a button on the phone that dictates Day/Night mode,

But where is that button setup?  How does the system know that 'that' button is the day/night mode button?  and why does it know to use Call Routing Table 1 or 2 and say not 1 and 5, etc?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
You should be in contact with your vendor to provide training. This system is very unforgiving regarding programming errors, and the fact that you are asking these questions indicates that you should not be in there poking around.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
dashrender,

Quote from: dashrender
Under System > Trunk-Related Information > Call Routing Tables
There is a listing 1 through 15
1 = day mode
2 = night mode
3-15 are completely blank

What is telling my system when to use 1 vs 2?

If or when your system is put in Night Mode, via the Feature Code [Night Ring On/Off: 9860 default], it tells the CO Trunk Group to utilize the Night Ring-in Type. You can find the CO Trunk Groups at System > Devices and Feature Codes > CO Trunk Groups > {trunk group}: Look for Day Ring-In Type and Night Ring-In type. Now this is assuming that you are utilizing a T-1 Card for your incoming DIDs. If you are using SIP Trunks then they are located in a different location.

Now, you were referring to a STAR [Scheduled Time-based Application Router] which kind of negates the use of a Night Mode button or Admin Access Softkey [Executive Style Phones] since it determines how to route the calls based on time; so you may not have a Night Mode Button.

second question:

Under Voice Processor > Devices > Application > Local > 2606 (I assume this was a randomly chosen number)
1-14 and 16-20 All have the same settings, (everything appears to be disabled)
but
15 has my start stop time activated and M-F value as YES.

Why is 15 used for our day mode instead of spot '1'?

2606 was most likely the next extension in line to be created when the original programmer setup your database and it doesn't matter what it is since most of the time you will not be dialing it directly.

I am not sure why they used 15 as most programmers would use either 19 or 20 for your Day Mode time schedule which allows the remaining 1 - 18 to be used for exceptions to that schedule; usually Holidays and other times/dates that no one would be available to answer calls. The system starts at the top [1] looking for the first match that it can route calls with.

OK, thanks - I understand that there is a button on the phone that dictates Day/Night mode,

But where is that button setup?  How does the system know that 'that' button is the day/night mode button?  and why does it know to use Call Routing Table 1 or 2 and say not 1 and 5, etc?

This feature can only be used by phones that are setup as Administrators within the system. The easiest place to look for those would be here: System > Phone-related Information > Flags > Administrator: Anyone listed under this flag is an administrator and they could have either a button programmed on their phone or use the Night Ring service under Admin Features softkey if they have an executive style phone such as a 5340 or 5360.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but if you really want to know the how or why of your system programming you really should be talking to your vendor since they programmed it according to what your company requested. We can explain what it is doing, but we wouldn't have a clue as to why they would program something in a certain fashion without knowing the full story of what your company requested in the first place.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dashrender

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Tech Electronics - Awesome.

Great explanation.

I'm not trying to change anything, just learn how it works.

It appears that we have both a STAR DID and the rest are setup as Day/Night Mode.

I found the CO Trunk Groups, Day Ring-In Type and Night Ring-In Type, and they are indeed set to my groups 1 and 2.  What dictates what time is for which?  There don't seem to be any time options.

On the STAR - I'm guessing the tech just pulled a lower one as you suggested, and since we only use one exception, it really didn't matter where it was placed.

We do have a button that activates Day/Night mode.

Again excellent explanations, I really appreciate you writing it out for me.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
Regarding day and night mode, that is controlled only by the button.  During day mode that trunk group rings one place, at night the other.

The STAR is completely unrelated.  Some trunk or DID rings to the STAR and it routes according to schedule. 

You may have some things that have different destinations in day and night mode, others that always ring to the STAR.  Rare to have both controlling the same call, but if you did the call would typically go to day or night mode and then ring to one or two STARS.

Offline dashrender

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »
I realize now (well sorta) why there is a STAR setup.

I'll start by saying - I'm only looking at this, I didn't set it up or design it.

I'm not sure if there is a way to get the DID to not go through one of the assigned Day/Night zones, so the DID comes into both, and both Day/Night send it to the STAR app. 
I think the reason for this is that the STAR app is setup to ring additional phones for 30 mins longer than our normal end of day, i.e. the STAR allows this one DID to reach employees until 5:30, instead of 5.

I would think it would be better for the DID to come directly into the STAR group by passing the Day/Night setup, but I don't know how that works.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
If the app with the STAR schedule is a different DID, you just be sure that DID goes to the STAR 24/7/365 by making it the ring-in destination for that DID in both day and night tables. 
Special note: you may find that the day DID table (call routing table) has ALL the DIDs but the night has only those that change, the exceptions, if you will...all the rest fall into the "+" at the bottom of the table which sends them back to the day table to be sorted out.  This saves the tech from having to add all those DIDs to both day and night tables.  If this is the case for your system and the night table doesn't include routing for the DID in question, that number already goes to the STAR all the time.  But you may find that both tables include all numbers, in which case you'll want your STAR as destination for that DID in both tables.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10