Author Topic: Avdap process spinning bringing down switch  (Read 3476 times)

Offline jcpearce2005

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Avdap process spinning bringing down switch
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
I have a Mitel 5000 6.0SP1 and the avdap process is spinning bringing the whole system down. Mitel says that en voicemail to email either has mp3 set (which they say has some bugs) or their is a typo in the email address for a particular mailbox. I have 1000 DID's and corresponding mailboxes.

The avdap log says

[00287  6-01-2015 12:53:46 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=7485) on email queue

And the count keeps ticking up. Is there a way to clear the avdap queue? Find the mailbox where this is coming from?

ANY help would be fantastic.

Thank you
Joseph Pearce

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Avdap process spinning bringing down switch
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
jcpearce2005,

Are you a certified technician or an end user?

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
Honestly... having 1000 mailboxes set to MP3 is going to bog down the system even with light use, on systems with 50 phones (mailboxes) and light to moderate use of call recording MP3 encoding puts significant load on the system. I find it odd Mitel would recommend this configuration unless you are doing only 1 or 2 messages simultaneously during any given time... Also, the length of the recordings makes the conversion process to MP3 exponentially longer than WAV, so if the voicemail is encoding hundreds of MP3 attachments per hour this could be very detrimental to system operation. We only use MP3 in limited circumstances like on phones that record long conversations so the attachment is small enough to get under the mail server's attachment size limit.

The "count" you are referring to is not really an issue here, it is just like an id number, it is not how many times it is attempting to do something if I am not mistaken.

Offline jcpearce2005

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »
I am an end user, with a fairly deep linux and programming background.

Mitel recommended .wav NOT mp3

Out of those 1000 mailboxes very very few are used simultaneously, the call load is very light. And it functioned well just days before.

Offline jcpearce2005

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »
The count constantly increments by one, is this the number in the queue? Even after reboots the count # starts off where it was before the reboot.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

[01137  6-01-2015 16:14:00 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10248) on email queue
[01138  6-01-2015 16:14:00 Main]    New Hole - Offset 22efade5, length 11372d
[01139  6-01-2015 16:14:03 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10249) on email queue
[01140  6-01-2015 16:14:03 Main]    New Hole - Offset 2300e512, length 11379c
[01141  6-01-2015 16:14:07 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10250) on email queue
[01142  6-01-2015 16:14:09 Main]    New Hole - Offset 23121cae, length 11380b
[01143  6-01-2015 16:14:11 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10251) on email queue
[01144  6-01-2015 16:14:11 Main]    New Hole - Offset 232354b9, length 11387a
[01145  6-01-2015 16:14:13 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10252) on email queue
[01146  6-01-2015 16:14:13 Main]    New Hole - Offset 23348d33, length 1138e9
[01147  6-01-2015 16:14:15 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10253) on email queue
[01148  6-01-2015 16:14:15 Main]    New Hole - Offset 2345c61c, length 113958
[01149  6-01-2015 16:14:17 Main]    Queueing message for email delivery to [voicemail@osioffices.com] (count=10254) on email queue
[01150  6-01-2015 16:14:19 Main]    New Hole - Offset 2356ff74, length 1139c7

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
A Linux and programming background, although very beneficial, is not really useful in this instance... "tinkering" at the system level on a phone system is asking for problems. These systems are highly specialized and streamlined, you should not venture into them yourself and you should contact your authorized vendor for assistance. Even certified technicians do not venture deep into the system, too many components interact with each other...

Basically, I am saying reboot... if that doesn't fix it contact your service provider to get Mitel involved to see what the issue is. Oh, and if you have to reboot more than a few times a year, contact your vendor too, because something deeper is wrong.

Do you know what mailbox is causing this issue? If so, remove it and add it back in again, might clear it. Otherwise I would get your vendor involved.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
jcpearce2005,

Alright, that makes things a little tougher, but not altogether impossible. Although your background is impressive it is more a matter of what resources, advap experience, and tools you have at your disposal.

Is your system set for SMTP [Forward and Copy] or Enhanced Integration?

What was the last change to the system/voice processor or to a users email account?

Have you looked at any of the mail logs within the system to see if there are any issues?

The main issues here is that when using UM on a Voice Processor you can no longer use the Reporting tool as they use the same resources. So what we can do to check the mailboxes is not a standard practice.
The standard practice would be to go through each mailbox and literally verify the setup of each one.
The non-standard practice is to do a database save to your hard drive and make sure that you know where it is. Then change the file ending, .m5k or .intl depending on version of software, to .zip or if you can just open the Archive with 7-Zip or something similar. This will allow you to open the compressed files and folders of the database save so that you can open it up in Microsoft Access; don't worry you won't be loading this back up to the system. Next find the Access Database file, usually the largest one, that ends with .accdb and open it up. You will be looking for LocalMailboxes and within the local mailboxes you will be looking for email_address_for_voice_messages; it is towards the beginning. Also you can go to the end and look at attachment_type which should be 0 for wav and 1 for mp3; I could be wrong on that one. If you know how to perform queries within Access this becomes a great deal easier for you.

Thanks,

TE

Offline jcpearce2005

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
The system is pretty well locked down so "tinkering" has not been done. It might be a highly streamed lined system but not from what I can see (albeit I am in a frustrated mood). The avdap process has the same 'niceness' as other critical processes, the system has gone into a near hang from apparently spinning on a particular message, their are numerous ways this failure mode could be handled more gracefully. The avdap processes spins and apparently has a memory leak (inexcusable) as the system eventually fails with ALARM 112.

Mitel will get in the switch shortly I think, but this seems pretty fragile. I completely understand Mitel locking down the box, I would do the same thing, but it is a headache to race back to Mitel for what apparently is some software bug(s).

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
jcpearce2005,

Your frustration is understandable if you are trying to solve a problem with your hands tied as they say.

As an end user it is usually best to request help from your vendor first so it removes the frustration and the majority of solving the problem off of you and onto them. Even though your vendor may have some really good technicians there are times when it will be beyond their abilities to fix the problem as well, and in those times they are or should be encouraged to seek assistance from Mitel direct in order to reduce their frustration as well.

Now, the good thing about the MitelForums and similar sites as that a lot of technicians/engineers come here to help each other out and for the most part we can point them in the right direction or provide a direct answer a little faster than Mitel Direct; at times.
I believe it is also useful for end-users as well who want to be a little more hands-on with their systems and "hopefully" reduce some of the cost of ownership for their system, but there is only so much we can do to help out in certain situations; although for the most part even end-users have found a great deal of benefit from this site in my opinion.

Hopefully, prior to your current issue, you have not had many if any problems with your system. If you have any more questions or concerns or just looking for advice on your system then don't hesitate to post them; even with your current issue. I believe that some of the best Mitel technicians/engineers in the world come to this site and will be more than happy to help where they can.

Thanks,

TE

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »
Now, the good thing about the MitelForums and similar sites as that a lot of technicians/engineers come here to help each other out and for the most part we can point them in the right direction or provide a direct answer a little faster than Mitel Direct; at times.
I believe it is also useful for end-users as well who want to be a little more hands-on with their systems and "hopefully" reduce some of the cost of ownership for their system, but there is only so much we can do to help out in certain situations; although for the most part even end-users have found a great deal of benefit from this site in my opinion.

Hopefully, prior to your current issue, you have not had many if any problems with your system. If you have any more questions or concerns or just looking for advice on your system then don't hesitate to post them; even with your current issue. I believe that some of the best Mitel technicians/engineers in the world come to this site and will be more than happy to help where they can

I agree, but please remember that we also need to eat and there will be times that a call to your vendor is the best route. I myself mostly try and post what to do versus the hand holding how to do it. I figure it's up to the person to either know how or do some help file reading. JMHO

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10