Author Topic: Uc360 - just upgraded software now won't call out or internally  (Read 4410 times)

Offline dan231

• View Profile
I have my tech here on-site.  We have a UC360 that the mic was super sensitive.  The tech upgraded the software and now it won't call out or even to an internal extension.
It appears to try to dial but we hear no ringing, then after 5 seconds just beeps.  He says its a connection error tone.

My desk phone is on vlan 11, the UC was set to vlan 10 after the upgrade.  He's telling me no settings should be affected, but now we can't use the phone so something is set wrong now.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Uc360 - just upgraded software now won't call out or internally
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »
Dan231,

Does the UC 360 actually connect up to the 5000; there is a connection symbol up top? What happens if another extension tries to dial it; does it show as unplugged?

The best solution is just to start all over on programming the UC 360.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
Thanks.  I think that is what he is doing now.
It did show as connected.  We didn't try to call it directly, but we called the main number and was transferred with no issues.  The mic is still way too sensitive.  I can hear a full echo (sounds like someone is repeating everything I say) on the calling in side.  I'm in a different room across the floor.  This can't be normal, can it?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
Dan231,

Typically No, that is not a normal problem with a conference style phone, nor have I run into it with the UC 360; yet. The biggest thing is to make sure that it is at the latest version of software which is 2.1.2.9. If you are still having issues then you may need to get it replaced, but that will require the technician to call into Mitel for that.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »
Dan231,

Here is a excerpt from a conference phone guide, I can't remember which one, that will explain why there could be some echo.

Each conference room will have unique acoustical characteristics; the room’s acoustical characteristics can be affected by a number of different factors such as room dimensions, floor coverings, wall coverings, ceiling construction, furniture and the number of occupants.

In most cases a room’s dimensions cannot be altered. As a result, the only way to modify a room’s acoustical properties is through the use of different building or decorating materials. In general, rooms can be grouped into three different acoustical categories: neutral, too live or too dead.

In a room that is acoustically too live, sounds will echo or reverberate. This is due to there being too many surfaces in the room that reflect sound waves. Items that will reflect sound waves are typically hard flat surfaces such as, tiled floors and hardwood floors, glass walls and windows, ceramic walls, and dry-walled ceilings.

In a room that is too acoustically dead, sounds will seem to disappear or be absorbed by the room. This is due fact that there are not enough reflective surfaces in the room. Items that will absorb sound waves are typically soft materials and irregular surfaces such as carpeted floors, curtains and draperies, venetian blinds, upholstered furniture and people.

A room that has neutral acoustical characteristics will provide the most natural sounding environment since sounds waves will not be excessively reflected or absorbed.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
Here's the latest...

The phone had an incorrect IP listed for the connection server.  He changes that and it's now calling properly.  He called Mitel and he says the phone does a system check for the mic sensors to auto adjust to the room environment. As listed in your post - seems legit.   

If this is the case, can we get acoustic panels for sound absorption maybe?

He's testing in a private office now.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »
Dan231,

Sure you can get sound absorbing panels, but if the area is what is causing a problem there are companies out there that deal with setting up conference rooms that can come in and do tests and tell you what you need and where you need it. We have our own Pro Audio department that does that, but I know there are others since we have worked with them in setting up off-site conference centers.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
Sounds nice, but I won't be able to get that approved...
Our "conference room" is the basement of a old building.  lots of concrete and not much else.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »
Dan231,

Ah, well that doesn't sound like an optimal location for a conference phone, but you can still look into buying or putting up sound absorbing material on the walls, floor, and ceiling until the room doesn't echo when empty and that should fix any sound issues. Just make sure that you don't turn it into a room that is too dead.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:07:03 PM »
Thanks for your help!

Always appreciated

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10