Author Topic: Removing caller ID from certain phones  (Read 4740 times)

Offline tommiller

• View Profile
Removing caller ID from certain phones
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:29:10 AM »
Hi,

one of our customers has asked for caller ID to be withheld on certain phones within the company. How would you go about adding 141 to every number they dial automatically? i tried programming their caller party name to have 141 in front of it but that didn't work?

cheers

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Removing caller ID from certain phones
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
Tomiller,

What type of trunking is this?

Thanks,

TE

Offline tommiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
ISDN 30

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »
Tommiller,

Alright, here is your issue. The 5000 can't restrict Caller ID on a per extension basis, we can however restrict Caller ID across all calls if you have a supported feature code that is accepted by the carrier. The only way we have to add to an outbound number is via the Numbering Plan and as you know that is universal for all calls that use it.

Now, that being said we do have customers whose carrier will restrict Caller ID based on the Calling Party Number we send them; which in essence allows us to block Caller ID on a per extension basis.

Another solution would be to split your ISDN 30 into two CO Trunk Groups and then the second group would be used for those that always need their Caller ID blocked and any calls going out that group would need to have a special numbering plan setup that would automatically put in the 141 code that you want. Of course there is another way, but that would require putting in another Dual T1/E1 card and setting it up so that one is physically connected to the other and then would pass through that card and out while manipulating digits; I would not recommend it though.

If those people are always calling the same numbers you could use a System Speed Dial that adds the 141 with a Pause to the number; this may not work with a Personal Speed dial due to the restriction on digits dialed, 16 digits vs 48 digits.

There is another solution that may work, as I have just thought of it, it putting the ARS feature code with a Pause and then 141 with a Pause in the extensions House Phone so when they go off-hook it dials that automatically and then waits for more digits; it won't wait long I wouldn't think. The problem being that they would need to dial a * first to bypass that and call internally or give them an IC key.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
There is a workaround that can get this done, I think, if you really have a code that will block it.  First thing to do is verify that the code works.  To do this, direct select your trunk group by dialing the group extension (92001?).  You'll need to do this from a phone that DOES NOT have "ARS ONLY" turned on in SYSTEM/NUMBERING PLAN/CLASSES OF SERVICE.  Dial the trunk group code to connect directly to a trunk, bypassing ARS rules.  You may or may not get dial tone at this point, depending on how trunks are set up.  Dial a regular call first, to make sure everything is working.  Then repeat the process, dialing your blocking code before the number.  This will prove whether the code works.  If it does, we can talk about how to make the system invoke the code for you.

Where I am the code to block is *67, which gets more complicated because the "*" in 5000 cancels whatever you're doing, but we can still work around that.

One more thing: have you considered just using a bogus CALLING PARTY NUMBER on these phones, such as <your area code>-555-5555?  This is as simple as can be, you just put that number in each phone's CPN field.  I know some carriers won't let you send numbers you don't own, but many do.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »
Okay, I just built this in my lab based on using *67, our feature code to block caller ID here.  I actually installed a second OUTGOING button that you choose when you want to block caller ID.  This could, of course, be your only outgoing button.  What won't work?  Can't eliminate the existing OUTGOING soft key on 5340, 5360 and 8528 phones.  Also once you press the special OUTGOING key you don't hear dial tone, you just have to trust that it's gonna' dial.
Once you know a code that works (and if you want to do this) let me know and I'll send instructions.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
dwayneg,

Alright, you piqued my curiosity, what is this work around that you developed. I am always up for learning something new. It seems as though it might be like the dual t1/e1 fix, but you didn't say anything about adding or using any other trunking.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:17:51 PM »
Here's what I did.  This is for *67, but you could do similar for any code.
1. In SYSTEM/NUMBERING PLAN/TOLL STRINGS/Q add "555" to the list.  This is handy because we can tell the system to drop that string later by just not turning on ECHO EQUAL ACCESS rule.
2. In NUMBERING PLAN/DIAL RULES add new rule "add *67".
3. In NUMBERING PLAN/FACILITY GROUPS add new group.  I called mine "BLOCK CLID".  Under DIAL RULES ADD *67, Echo Toll Field, Echo 3 digits after toll field, Echo local address.  Under TRUNK GROUPS use your PRI group.
4. In NUMBERING PLAN/ROUTE GROUPS add new group, I called mine BLOCK CLID, same as my FACILITY GROUP.  Drag this new rule to the top of the list (ARS hunts top down).  In this ROUTE GROUP set DIAL PATTERNS to "555+".  In ROUTE GROUPS/FACILITY GROUPS add your new BLOCK CLID.

That's it, your routing is in place.  From a phone dial 8 (assuming 8 is ARS, then dial 555 plus outside number.  ARS sees a number starting with 555, uses that route group.  Facility group grabs a trunk, dials *67, ignores 555 because it's equal access code, echoes all the other digits.

My phone has self-labeling keys, so I used the user web interface (only way to name the button) to create a station speed dial named BLOCK CLID, and put in 8555 as number.  If you're using paper desi phones you could instead put in the sta spd by using the ONLINE MONITOR feature under VIEW in sys admin.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
dwayneg,

I never even thought of doing that, mostly because we have custom Toll Strings and Route Group 1 is for 911 only in our default database that we don't change, but I like the concept and it is easy to follow. Sometimes I get stuck due to not wanting to change our company default standards that I miss out on some solutions as I don't even consider them changeable anymore.

This should work well for Tommiller as long as the 141 code works for blocking Caller ID.

As always you are very inspirational and it allowed me to find a solution to another problem with a hunt group I was working on as I didn't consider the ability to make a change to our default database; I have to stop being lazy in my solutions.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
Here's what I did.  This is for *67, but you could do similar for any code.
1. In SYSTEM/NUMBERING PLAN/TOLL STRINGS/Q add "555" to the list.  This is handy because we can tell the system to drop that string later by just not turning on ECHO EQUAL ACCESS rule.
2. In NUMBERING PLAN/DIAL RULES add new rule "add *67".
3. In NUMBERING PLAN/FACILITY GROUPS add new group.  I called mine "BLOCK CLID".  Under DIAL RULES ADD *67, Echo Toll Field, Echo 3 digits after toll field, Echo local address.  Under TRUNK GROUPS use your PRI group.
4. In NUMBERING PLAN/ROUTE GROUPS add new group, I called mine BLOCK CLID, same as my FACILITY GROUP.  Drag this new rule to the top of the list (ARS hunts top down).  In this ROUTE GROUP set DIAL PATTERNS to "555+".  In ROUTE GROUPS/FACILITY GROUPS add your new BLOCK CLID.

That's it, your routing is in place.  From a phone dial 8 (assuming 8 is ARS, then dial 555 plus outside number.  ARS sees a number starting with 555, uses that route group.  Facility group grabs a trunk, dials *67, ignores 555 because it's equal access code, echoes all the other digits.

My phone has self-labeling keys, so I used the user web interface (only way to name the button) to create a station speed dial named BLOCK CLID, and put in 8555 as number.  If you're using paper desi phones you could instead put in the sta spd by using the ONLINE MONITOR feature under VIEW in sys admin.
This solution is brilliant! I love it! You sir, have earned a star for the day!

Offline tommiller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 05:51:24 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the input people. is there any way of using dwayneg's setup so after pressing 8 for ARS, the customer presses 0 to start dialling. is there a way to make the system recognise '0+' as a dialling pattern?

cheers

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:53:46 AM »
Tommiller,

On US Systems, not sure on European, the Toll Strings R [Operator = 0] and I [International = 01 / 011] already are valid dial strings that start/end with 0. Are you trying to do something different now or are you wanting your Equal Access to start with a 0; not sure what you are requesting now?

Thanks,

TE

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
Just for fun, tommiller, I tested your question.  Yes, you can use 0 to invoke CPN blocking.  You must remove 0 from TOLL STRINGS/R, add it to TOLL STRINGS/Q, and add 0+ to your call blocking route group.  But remember that this will make it impossible to ever call the PSTN operator or place a collect call, or dial an international 01 or 011 call.  I still think it's better to use some unique number like 555, 20 or  200, which are never a real area code or office code.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10