Author Topic: MCD 4.1 Password Unknown  (Read 6070 times)

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
MCD 4.1 Password Unknown
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:51:04 AM »
I stopped working on Mitel systems a couple of years ago, after leaving the dealer I was working for. I recenly acquired this 3300 CXi system, so I thought that I should get back in the game.

The system seems to boot correctly looking at the output on the serial port and I can get dial tone on the ONS ports and dial and talk to other ONS ports. I even connected a 5320 I had and it powered up and went to the PIN screen.

The problem I am facing now is logging in to ESM to find out how is this system configured and what options are available. It is running load 10.1.0.69_1 (MCD 4.1 Sp2) on Vx Works 5.5.2 which I understand, reading posts on this (and other) forum, that it is a pain, but not impossible, to reset root user profiles to system/password defaults. I do not know if having the SYSID and/or the system serial number could be of any help.

I remember that some MCD loads had additional user profiles with root access and that the system profile itself did not have root access by default, but hard as I tried, I cannot remember any of those credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MCD 4.1 Password Unknown
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 05:27:54 AM »
Do you need to know the config?

Because you already know the software version you could just do a fresh install and sync with AMC (no SWA required if using same S/W level)
This is assuming the controller hasn't been licensed offline.

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:31:05 AM »
Thanks for taking an interest sarond.

I do not have any history on this system and only rely on the information I can get from the serial port. I do not know the Application Record ID, neither if it has been licensed on or off line. I believe that such information can only be retrieved through ESM with a valid user ID and password combinations. Am I correct?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:36:23 AM »
Yes that's correct.
Unless you know who the dealer was then you may be able to get them to check the HWID (iButton)

What state are you based in? I could check our AMC but I highly doubt that it is a system that has come from us but maybe worth a shot.

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
I am based in NSW, but I believe the system came from Queensland. I could give you the iButton serial number and the probable name of the previous owner it that helps.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »
With a spare drive and the ability to connect the original to a pc, you likely could get in and recover the application id. IMHO

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
How would I do that John? What should I be looking for?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
I'm from QLD, may as well give it a shot. You never know your luck.

If you are on 4.1 you may still be able to use this procedure.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1561128

I believe 4.2 was the problem version that couldn't be reset by deleting the user profile.
From MCD 5 onwards there are Shell and maintenance commands to reset.

If you want to find the ARID you could try this.

Connect to the serial interface and type
cd "/db/temp/amc" <-- Don't forget ""
ls

Hopefully your ARID will be listed.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »
Since any further discussion on this topic would not be best as a public discussion, you could pm me and I would provide my thoughts.

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
I'm from QLD, may as well give it a shot. You never know your luck.

If you are on 4.1 you may still be able to use this procedure.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1561128

I believe 4.2 was the problem version that couldn't be reset by deleting the user profile.
From MCD 5 onwards there are Shell and maintenance commands to reset.

If you want to find the ARID you could try this.

Connect to the serial interface and type
cd "/db/temp/amc" <-- Don't forget ""
ls

Hopefully your ARID will be listed.

Hi sarond,

I did actually try the suggestion you mentioned and the file seems to delete without errors, but I still could not log-in with default credentials. I believe that 4.2 was OK, same as 5, but 4.1 IS the one with the problem.

I am currently busy with some Easter activities and will see if I can check the "/db/temp/amc" folder in an hour or so. Would the file name be obvious enough for me to recognise?

In the meantime, I will PM you the SYSID to see if you can get any information about it.
Happy Easter!

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
Since any further discussion on this topic would not be best as a public discussion, you could pm me and I would provide my thoughts.
I believe you are correct John, I will E-mail you soon. In the meantime I will dig out my IDE-USB adapter.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »
I am currently busy with some Easter activities and will see if I can check the "/db/temp/amc" folder in an hour or so. Would the file name be obvious enough for me to recognise?

Yes the ARID is the name of a folder in the amc directory, it's about the only thing in there.

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 11:47:21 PM »
Hi John,

I got myself a spare WD 120GB IDE drive and have a USB IDE adapter and am ready for instructions.

Offline NovaKasy

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 04:14:34 AM »

I was going in two directions; one to figure out where the original password(s) are kept and the other is to retrieve licenses.

JohnP has been a great help to me in getting this system up and running. I can't thank him enough for his help with this old software. He came through for me.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10