Author Topic: Mitel 5000 with Valcom IP paging controller (VIP 801A)  (Read 4703 times)

Offline jp0013

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 5000 with Valcom IP paging controller (VIP 801A)
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »
Can somebody walk me through how to set this up if it's even possible.

Here's the scenario:

Mitel 5000 at MDF and 100 or so phones

There is a remote site with a fiber link between the buildings (about 1000 feet away.) Mitel stuff is on the same VLAN at both offices. There is no copper between the offices, even if there were I think it would be too much loop to run analog paging (there is analog paging at the main office.)

I tried to set up a Valcom VIP801A at the remote office as a SIP extension and then found out you can't add SIP extensions to paging groups. I guess that kinda makes sense. Thought I would try to dial the SIP extension direct, but it rings busy. I think it may be authentication issue, but could use a little additional brain power to get this thing going. I don't see anywhere in the limited Valcom interface where you can change authentication to match the assigned passcode on the 5000 SIP extension.

Anybody ever tackle something like this?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 with Valcom IP paging controller (VIP 801A)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »
JP0013,

I am sure there are several people on here that have done this before, but maybe not with the VIP 801A. Have you downloaded the correct IP Tool for programming the 801A? The setup is pretty straight forward, but you still won't be able to put it in a page zone, although you will be able to call it and have it answer.

I think a lot of the guys that do this use a 5304 or other IP telephone to get their audio out through the speaker leads and it allows them to put it in a page zone. Just be careful when taking it apart a there is a ribbon cable that connects to the display to the circuit board and it is not very long. Have a jewelers flathead screw driver handy to release the clip holding it in.

Thanks,

TE

Offline jp0013

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:37:02 AM »
I was considering that with the 5304, but this is one of those "cutting edge" customers and would prefer that I don't have to jerry rig something up (let me clarify I have done this similarly with Samsung products in the past)

I have downloaded the tool direct from Valcom and it allows you to change the IP and other miscellaneous stuff, but I see no options for sending registration information.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »
JP0013,

I talked to one of our Valcom technicians and they said that you can call Valcom and they will walk you through setting it up. The number should be on the documentation that came with the VIP-801A or you can just go to their website and get it there as well. It seems they are easy to work with and you don't need to be certified to call them and they also said that you have the wrong version of the software tool as well.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
JP0013,

Alright, I found an answer on this one. What you would need is a VIP-811 or VIP-821 to connect to the system via a trunk port and then over to the VIP-801 to page out. Using the SIP directly is not a good option as you can not put that into a page zone. However if you can interface with a CO Port to your paging interface then all you would need is a VIP-821.

Thanks,

TE

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
I've been thinking about this and believe that if the pa system provided a talk battery input you could use a sip fxo/fxs pair to extend that to a trunk position.

If only 600 ohm input, you could do the same but you would need a talk battery power supply and an isolation transformer. 24Vdc would likely work.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10