Author Topic: 5330 Assertion error.  (Read 7568 times)

Offline mcl0001

• View Profile
5330 Assertion error.
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:00:07 PM »
Hello Mitel guru's,

I was wondering if anyone has come across an issue I am having with a 5330 IP phone. I bought this particular unit from a reputable second hand dealer and I can't get it to connect to our 3300 running MCD 4.2. The phone boots, requests IP from DHCP server (DHCP controlled by Windows server) is provisioned an IP then the phone goes to download the main system software, this seems to fail and when it does the phone shows an assertion error as shown in the image below. I have searched high and low to try and locate a fix but can't seem to find anyone who has had a similar issue.

My assumption for the fault is that the download times out, as it doesn't always download the same amount at the time of the error being shown.

We have another 5330 on the system and the main difference between the two is the firmware on the phone, this "new" unit has main 05.02.01.07 and boot 05.01.00.17, whereas the old unit has earlier revision, i think the main is 04.01.00.22. Could the new firmware not be compatible with our old system?

Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5330 Assertion error.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
Hi mcl0001,
I had a similar issue awhile back but mine displayed:

We ended up returning it to Mitel (Since it was an "out of the box brand new phone") for an RMA and got a new one. I was going to mess with the possibility of setting up a TFTP server with the phones upgrade files and let it upgrade via that, but was just easier to get it RMA'd. I'd say if that 2nd hand dealer has a "Return Policy", get er' swapped out.

Thanks,
-Iron

Offline mcl0001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:11:38 AM »
Hi Iron,

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked this forum for a while as I sent that phone back to be swapped out.

Prior to sending it back I checked all our internal network settings. It seems that the people who installed the system didn't setup DHCP as per Mitel instructions using DHCP option 43 or 125. Whenever the phone would boot it would use option 128+, then the error would occur. I set up the DHCP setting on our windows server 2008 as per information found on the internet and stopped the error reoccurring, however now The phone hangs at DHCP: discover, any other phone on our system works fine with the new settings.

Upon receiving the replacement I have exactly the same fault as before which means there is an issue within our system.

I am starting to think that the issue is due to the new phone has a much newer firmware then our 3300 / other phones. The new phone is running main 05.02.01.07 and boot 05.01.00.17, whereas our old units are running main 04.01.00.22 and boot 04.01.00.22. I would've thought that the firmware was backwards compatible!

I don't know where to go from now, I haven't found a solution to roll back the firmware to a previous version. Maybe I'll have to take the phone to our Mitel installer and get them to change the firmware / rectify the fault.

It is quite strange as I have changed multiple settings withing the network and other phones work fine, but these two phones with that particular firmware refuse to!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks,
Matt

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:48:10 AM »
Can you post a screen shot of your Option 125 as it is now?

Also, I think there was a point where phones would not downgrade past a certain point

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:34:04 AM »
If you have removed options 128/9 and 130 try putting them back in as well as option 125.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »
If you have removed options 128/9 and 130 try putting them back in as well as option 125.
If you have option 125 then the phone will use that. If the others are there as well they will be ignored, especially on newer firmware handsets

Offline mcl0001

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »
Can you post a screen shot of your Option 125 as it is now?

Also, I think there was a point where phones would not downgrade past a certain point
I've turned off option 125 at the moment, but it was set up as per http://www.mitelforums.com/articles/3300/Mitel-3300-DHCP-Options.php

I think that your second point is the main issue.

I got the phone to boot by telling it to look for a tftp server that didn't exist. I found this out as I was trying to update the firmware from a tftp server on my computer vs using the one in the 3300 as I wondered if this was the issue. While I was changing setting on the tftp server I had shut it down while the phone was in the reboot loop, and noticed that the phone tried to download the main firmware, which failed and then the phone continued to boot onto the minet without issue.

At this point i can set up everything in MCD without issue.

This phone has software for release MCD5.2 whereas our system is MCD4.2 SP2.

Ultimately I think the issue is a lack of backwards compatibility between the phone and the 3300.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10