Author Topic: How to make your own TFTP server to upgrade IP Phones  (Read 8002 times)

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How to make your own TFTP server to upgrade IP Phones
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »
Hi all,
Kind of a weird request. Does anyone know:
1) Where to get the upgrade file(s) needed to do the upgrade. (or how to extract them)

Thanks for any info on this.

Thanks,
-Iron

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to make your own TFTP server to upgrade IP Phones
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
The files are all in the installation program. if run on a local machine, the ftp files get extracted to c:/program files/mitel in most cases. The file called tftp_ip.tar is where the tftp files are and you can use something like 7zip to extract them.

Copy them to your designated tftp server. I assume that you will be changing the dhcp settings so that the phones look to this server as opposed to the MCD.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
I've never done this but I've always thought it may be better to load the files on a dedicated TFTP server so that in the even the phones ever went out of service they would boot faster.   
The theory being that a dedicated server could handle more phones at the same time.

Ralph

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:23:20 AM »
 I have done this in the past for a customer running remote phone over a small pipe vpn. The tftp traffic ran local as well as dhcp.

Offline Curtis-at-Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:11:12 PM »
I had this same question, as I am very disturbed that Mitel expects that the 3300 (and this is quote from a support tech from Mitel) "with only 512 M of RAM, running a processor less powerful than a cell phone", is expected to be a DHCP server, an FTP server,  AND a TFTP server in large environments (my largest is over 700 phones).

When I called tech support about how to set up an external TFTP server, I got lots of "I never heard about doing that..." and "let me talk to the next level...no, they never heard of that either" to a final reply saying "I suppose it can be done, but it would have to be in the exact format as the directory, and you will have to find that out from someone else."

Useless.  Mitel support has gotten bloody useless.

Any (rant over), here is what I figure out.

#1.  When upgrading the software, don't use the built FTP server on the 3300.  It's very damn slow.  The majority of your install time is spent just uploading the files (upwards of 40 minutes).  Instead, use Filezilla or some other free FTP server.  set the Home directory to be where the latest load is that you want to install.  When setting up the upgrade in the Software Business installer, set up the IP address to your FTP server, and proceed.  I clocked the upload process to be about 20 minutes.  The entire upgrade, start to finish, took 35 minutes.  And this was on an MXe II.  The biggest files on the load (one was the help file) took less than a minute to upload.

now 

#2.  TFTP for the phones.  Please note, it's important that you have these files ready to go, prior to the upgrade process.  Once the phones reboot during the upgrade, they are going to be doing those TFTP requests almost immediately. 
What I did was copy the files from an already current system, one running the latest load, to prep my TFTP server.
To get those files:
open up File Explorer in Windows.
enter ftp://(the address of your phone system).  Use your normal username and password.
find the folder labeled Tftp.  Right-click copy that folder.  Paste it to your PC in an easy to find location on your hard drive.
If you want to put these files onto another server, copy ENTIRE FOLDER to that server.
Install on the server (or on your PC, if doing it from there) a TFTP server program.  I use tftpd32.exe by Jounin.  It's the same server I use for upgrading the Mitel 5000.  Configure the server so that the "home directory" is that TFTP folder you copied from the 3300.
When you configure your DHCP server (either the external one that the customer uses for the phones, or the internal one on the 3300), make sure that the TFTP address is this new TFTP server, and NOT the phone system's IP address.

Start your upgrade with all these configured and enabled.

The upgrade on the phone system starts its process.  Once the phone system comes back on, the phones will be told that there is a new software load, and all of them will reboot simultaneously.  However, since we are now pointing TFTP to a different location, the phones will get their software from the dedicated TFTP server, and the phone system won't be bogged down with hundreds of TFTP requests.  The download process is incredibly fast for the phones, and they will come up much quicker than if you depend on the phone system to do this (I had a 700 phone system that took 5 hours to get all phones back online with this usual method.  Unacceptable!!!!)

I plan on following this procedure in May, when I replace an MXeII with and MXeIII at a college campus.  I believe this will be a much faster transition than I originally feared it would be.

Let me know if this method works for any of you out there!

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
Nicely written. :-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10