Author Topic: COnfernece features Polycom IP7000 and 3300  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Rixy

• View Profile
COnfernece features Polycom IP7000 and 3300
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:51:06 AM »
Hi all,

I've generally been able to assist customers getting local 3 way conferencing working on Polycom conferecne phones hanging off off the 3300 as SIP phones.  However, i have been asked if there is anyway of increasing the number of parties. Now i am aware that when configuring these types of phones, you normally specify in the SIP Device Capabilities form that "Replace System based with Device based In-Call Features" option is set to "Yes". Has anyone managed or attempted to connect more than 3 parties to one of these phones?

any pointers are always appreciated. I was thinking maybe setting the above option to "no", but i thought i would ask first, as i don't have a test device

Cheers

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: COnfernece features Polycom IP7000 and 3300
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
Hey Rixy,
My understanding has always been is if you set the "Replace System based with Device based In-Call Features" to Yes, then the manufacturers capabilities take over. In this case, Polycom. (See Below) The maximum for Polycoms I think has always been three parties total in a conference.

(Taken right from the Polycom Soundstation IP 7000 User Guide)

You can get the guide via this link: http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/user/products/voice/IP7000_UserGuide_UCS_4_0_1.pdf

I found the information on Adobe page 54.

(Anyone, If I'm incorrect, please let us know.)

Probably not what you were wanting to hear, but alternatively you can get them into the Mitel's MCA to host conferences, or some other third party setup like "Goto Meeting". But naturally that's more "Cha-Ching".  ;)

Thanks,
-Iron
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:03:20 PM by irongladiator »

Offline Rixy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
Cheers Iron,

yeah i took a more detailed look into it and confirmed the local 3 party conferencing from the data sheet as well, glad for your input either way. Polycom also confirmed over the phone that there is only enough resources on the device to bridge 3 parties in total, anymore than that and i should be using the "features of the call manager". Yeah, i know that, thanks Polycom.

Has anyone tried using the conferenc feature code perhaps to increase this, or am i flogging a dead horse/being too nice to the customer. They have the use of a bridge but its for those people that they need to add manually. rather than them dialling in.

I don't have a problem with going back to the customer, but i just wanted to clear my conscience. :)

Offline Rixy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
Just bumping this, unfortunately i'm not getting away from it sadly!  :-\

Offline Rixy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »
Hi all,

So, I managed to figure out the the feature code method with the assistance of another techy from another forum. So, i thought i would post the solution here so that this thread can be put to bed.

You have to change the SDC options to leave the "system based conference features" in effect, rather than forcing them upon the Polycom. This way, you effectively turn the devices conference button into a flash button. once thats done, use the steps below to invoke a more than 2 party conference. *40 is our conference feature code in this example.

1.   Dial your first party, establish the call with them.
2.   Press the conference button, dial your 2nd party, establish the call.
3.   Press the conference button and dial *40. A tone will sound and the parties will be joined
4.   Press the conference button again, dial the 4th party, establish the call.
5.   Press the conference button, dial *40, a tone will sound and add the 4th party to the conference

Just to round up, there are 2 gotcha's

1.   To add people to a conference on the Polycoms, you must use the *40 feature code after dialling the 2nd party. The normal behaviour of the conferecen button has been removed from the device, so it will not automatically enter a 2 party conferecne without the use of the feature code.

2.   If you make a mistake whilst dialling, you are essentially isolated from the conference. However, if the parties remain in the conference, it will attempt to call the polycom back, and will come up as an external/anonymous call. Simply answer it and you will find you are back in the conference. this is likely to be the hold ringback timer, but i haven't confirmed.

As previously mentioned, I wouldn’t rely on this for important calls, I would strongly recommend the use of you conference bridge facility on those occasions.

Cheers for everyones help.

Rixy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10