Author Topic: IP Phones' Port settings change on their own?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline mszodiac

• View Profile
IP Phones' Port settings change on their own?
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »

Hi all.  We've had a whole bunch of PC problems lately and it all pointed to the phone.

During the phone deployment stage, we've decided to hard code the LAN and PC port to 100/full, and PC NIC to 100/full.

PC port on the phone was showing as half duplex when you choose "Display" settings, but when you choose "Modify" and scroll through, it was showing as Auto/Auto.  Seting it to 100 full got the PC working again.

Has anybody seen this before? What can cause a phone to change its' settings without manual intervention?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: IP Phones' Port settings change on their own?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
If you hardcode the duplex on one side (phone) you need to do it on the other side (PC).
If you don't do this then because of the way auto neg works, it will auto neg to half duplex.

Ralph

Offline mszodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
That's exactly what we do - hardcode all the ports to 100/full including the PC.  However, the PC port on the phone get changed to auto/auto for some reason.  We're wondering what could be causing the change.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
That's a mystery.
I don't know of any other case where they manually set the duplex on the phones and PC so I haven't heard of any other cases.

I would think that it would survive a reboot.  Even an upgrade but I can imagine why it would default.

May I ask, what's the reason for doing that?   I haven't heard of any auto neg issues for years.

Ralph

Offline boycey9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
Saw this many years back and cant remember the ins and outs but it was caused by the PC being plugged in to the phone as the neg settings on that seemed to overide what the phone was set at.

Offline mszodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »
@ ralph, we wanted the pc port on the phone set to auto/auto.  But the desktop deployment team said building PCs with NICs set to auto negotiate takes forever so 100/full was decided.

@ boycey9: that's interesting that the PC can override the settings.  This problem is soooo random that it's been difficult to replicate it.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »
@ ralph, we wanted the pc port on the phone set to auto/auto.  But the desktop deployment team said building PCs with NICs set to auto negotiate takes forever so 100/full was decided.

Wow.  First time I've heard that one.   I wonder what the actual time is to auto neg.  I wouldn't think it would be much.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10