Author Topic: 5320 & 5340 Remote Phones Cycle and Cycle and Cycle and Cycle...  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Kaeri

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Hiya!  First post, so be gentle.. :)

We have a Mitel 5000 with offsite phones that - generally - work wonderfully. Every once in awhile, however, they just stop working.  Perfect example - I am working a remote location today, and I have a headset that I wanted to connect to the phone.  Phone was connected remotely and working fine.  I disconnected it, set up the headset, reconnected it... and it's now three hours later. 

I've rebooted the phone here, rebooted the router here, remoted in and rebooted the Mitel and the firewall at the office... no luck.  For a NANO SECOND the phone connected and I saw my extension # and programmed keys.... then the screen flashed and it started cycling again, "Contacting Server," "DHCP Discovery," blah blah blah.

If I leave it, later today or tomorrow or Sunday I will walk by and it will suddenly be connected... but I have no idea what the hiccup is between cycling and then.

Any thoughts or anywhere I can check in the Mitel to see if connections are coming through and being rejected...?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5320 & 5340 Remote Phones Cycle and Cycle and Cycle and Cycle...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
Kaeri,

Unfortunately there are a few variables required in a phone working remotely and depending on your setup it could be difficult to find the culprit that is stopping the phone from connecting.

So, step 1: How is your local network setup that the phone is on?
Does your network use VLANs?
Do your switches provide LLDP to the phones in order to get DHCP?
When the phones get DHCP do they say missing option 128 or something similar?
Do you see a notice of Bad LAN Link prior to seeing DHCP Discovery the first time?

Thanks,

TE

Offline Kaeri

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
TE:

I am *so* sorry for the delayed response, I never got a notice that anyone answered... !

So, step 1: How is your local network setup that the phone is on?

It's a home network, Verizon Fios 50 MB down / 50 MB up. 

Does your network use VLANs?

Yes, but not related to the phone system/regular traffic

Do your switches provide LLDP to the phones in order to get DHCP?

I believe so

When the phones get DHCP do they say missing option 128 or something similar?

Nope. 

Do you see a notice of Bad LAN Link prior to seeing DHCP Discovery the first time?

Nope

The phone boots up, then cycles through:

Waiting for 802.1x authentication
Waiting for LLDP
There's something that flashes here, but it's too fast to catch
Waiting for DCHP (Main Ver 05.01.00.16)
VLAN None PRI None (Main Ver 05.01.00.16)
DCHP: Discovery
TFTP: L2Boot
TFTP Server unavailable, continue boot-up
Contacting Server

The screen flashes - when it works, the phone then resolves into the normal extension screen
When it doesn't, it repeats the above.  It may repeat for 5x minutes, or 3x hours... then, at some point, it works.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
Kaeri,

Sorry it took so long to respond to your post, but I took a break for a bit to get some things done. Anyway, let's take a look at what is going on here.

"The phone boots up, then cycles through:

Waiting for 802.1x authentication
Waiting for LLDP <-- Looking to see if the switch will provide LLDP or CDP for VLAN, L2P, etc..
There's something that flashes here, but it's too fast to catch <-- It is telling you the firmware versions on the phone one being the Main version you see later on.
Waiting for DCHP (Main Ver 05.01.00.16) <-- It is putting out a request for DHCP on the native VLAN
VLAN None PRI None (Main Ver 05.01.00.16) <-- It did not get anything from Waiting for LLDP above
DCHP: Discovery <--It is waiting for an IP Address
TFTP: L2Boot <-- Apparently it got an IP address and it thinks it knows where the phone system and TFTP Server are.
TFTP Server unavailable, continue boot-up <-- It is unable to contact the TFTP Server which by default means it won't be able to contact the phone system since they are normally one and the same.
Contacting Server <-- It will wait here for a minute and then reboot as it cannot contact the Phone System.

The screen flashes - when it works, the phone then resolves into the normal extension screen. <-- My guess is that there is something that is missing as we can try to fix it by manually setting up the phone so it doesn't go through all of that again.

When it doesn't, it repeats the above.  It may repeat for 5x minutes, or 3x hours... then, at some point, it works. <-- I think the next step is to manually setup the phone instead of letting the network handle it and see if that fixes the problem. If that does fix the problem then most likely there is something wrong with the DHCP settings the phone is getting, rogue server possibly, or the phone just may be bad.

First step is to find the following information so we can setup the phone manually and see if the problem goes away.

1. The IP Address of the Mitel 5000.
2. An unused IP address on the network.
3. The subnet of the network.
4. The gateway of the network.

Once you have that then reboot the phone and hold down the blue button while it powers up. Press * to accept that you want to configure the phone. Press * to tell it you want to configure the Network Settings. Press # on anything that asks if you want to view the current settings. You will want to press * when you get to IPv4 Settings and then # until you get to Change Static Settings. This is easy to find as there will also be a 0 option to default the phone. Press * at that point and use the up and down arrow keys to go through the settings. Put in the static IP address that you got for item 2 above, the # key is used to put in [.] for the delimiters. Use the arrow keys to get to the next field. Then put in the subnet mask and gateway following the same guidelines. Then you will see something about the TFTP Server and you will put in the IP Address of the 5000, then pass the next field asking for the TFTP port number. Once you get to ICP then put in the IP Address of the phone system again. After that the rest of the fields shouldn't be needed so just arrow through them and press * to Save and then * to Reboot. Hopefully the phone will come up ok and start working, if not then just go through the steps again and use the 0 to default the IPv4 Static Settings and then Save and Reboot again. If you need a more detailed step by step then just ask I will type something up that will go through each option as you get to it and what your responses should be.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Kaeri

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
TE - fabulous idea!

My power brick died (entire coffee cup spilled into it, ouch) so I've been waiting for a replacement.  It arrived this AM so I will try the set-up tonight and see if it works.

Thanks so much for your help, I'll update this evening / tomorrow AM.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10