Author Topic: POTS Line Question  (Read 2635 times)

Offline pakman

• View Profile
POTS Line Question
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
I have an office where two separate businesses share the same main line. They both use Mitel phones but one of the users phone must be replaced with a none Mitel phone. Is it possible for this main POTS line to ring into our PBX still and have it ring into an ordinary wall jack going to a standard phone that accepts POTS lines? I would think I could do this by punching another pair over over the 66 block and running this cable to the patch cable associated with the wall jack of the user who needs the phone replaced.

Thanks,

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: POTS Line Question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
Yes.  But that seems like a lot of work.
Why not just disconnect the POTS line and connect it to the jack.  You can plug any analog phone into it.

If you really need to run it through the PBX, you'll need to set up an ONS port on the PBX and ring the line to it.

Ralph

Offline pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »
Yes.  But that seems like a lot of work.
Why not just disconnect the POTS line and connect it to the jack.  You can plug any analog phone into it.

If you really need to run it through the PBX, you'll need to set up an ONS port on the PBX and ring the line to it.

Ralph
I need the main line to still run through the PBX as users in the building still have Mitel phones and need call hunting and other features. The one person who has a separate business just needs an analog phone and needs to be separated from the rest of the PBX. Not sure what you mean by just disconnect the POTS line and connect it to the jack as that's what I said down below. In order for the line to get connected to the wall jack I have to use the patch panel in the MDF unless I'm missing something or misinterpreting what you meant.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
Do you have any available ONS ports? 
If you do then you should be able to connect one to the jack and have it ring along with the rest of the phones.

Bridging the line between the PBX and the jack can create other issues.  It can be done but I'd avoid it if possible.

Ralph

Offline pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
I believe so. I am not familiar with how ONS ports work and will read the help files. Now I understand about easier option if I can just hook an analog phone into an ONS port.

Thanks,

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
Simplifies things as the next problem you'll face is when someone answers a call and it's for the other business. At least with everyone still on the PABX they can transfer calls to each other.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10