Author Topic: Analog phone always responds busy  (Read 4485 times)

Offline emeadows

• View Profile
Analog phone always responds busy
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
The only person in our org that knew the phone system is unavailable for the time being, and my understanding is we don't have a support contract with our vendor any more--they came out so rarely that it wasn't cost-effective.
So now we're stuck with a problem that none of us can figure out.

An analog phone recently started reporting that the line was busy, even when the phone was hung up, sending the caller to voice mail.  One ring, then the busy message.  Outgoing calls still work, voice mail works.  Resetting the extension didn't help, and someone compared every setting, line by line, with her own extension and they were all identical.
On the hardware end, I tried three different analog phones and even reterminated the cable, but there was no effect (no change when I tried even with the cable unterminated).  I tried some of the default feature codes (to turn off busy forwarding, for example), but the phone immediately went to the invalid number tone when I hit *.

Our technical level on the Mitel is very low, so we're not going to be able to do anything remotely complicated to troubleshoot or fix, but if I could get some tips on where to look or a setting to change and avoid a out-of-contract service call, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline mszodiac

• View Profile
Re: Analog phone always responds busy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »
Is your analog set connected to an ASU module, or the onboard module?

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Is DND on?

With the money you've saved over time by not having a service contract, a paid service call is still probably good value.

Offline emeadows

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »
Is your analog set connected to an ASU module, or the onboard module?

There is a Universal ASU 3300 above a 3300 MXE III in the phone rack, so I'm assuming it's the former.

Is DND on?

As near as I can tell, users don't have access to changing that setting, and another tech said that all the extension settings were identical to hers.  When the extension got reset (as we do when a new user starts using the extension), it should have cleared out all those sort of settings...I assume.
I'm going to ask to sit next to her and show me what she was looking at.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Go to maintenance commands and enter the following command:

1)  "loc fe ext <extn>"

2) "stat ext <extn>"

The 1st one will show you if there is any forwarding on it.
The second one will show you if the line is "Busy", "Locked out" or "idle".
If it's busy or locked out, and the line is pulled, then you have a bad port on your ASU.

Ralph

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
What if you disconnect the extension from the system tails, do you still get the problem when you ring it?
Even though the far end may have been re-terminated there could still be an issue with the cabling along the way causing the ring to cause an issue.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »
Have you got a dial tone on the analog set itself and can you make a call?

Offline emeadows

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the help, everyone; once I was able to sit down in front of the web interface myself, I was able to find the problem quickly: the extension had, somehow, been set to DND.  I have no idea how, since AFAIK, analog phones don't have access to change that setting and the number pad commands don't seem to work.
I suspect the phone system will get a look-over when we have a network rebuild in the next couple months.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10