Author Topic: Outbound Access on Off-Node Trunk Groups  (Read 3761 times)

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Outbound Access on Off-Node Trunk Groups
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
Is there any way to limit outbound access on off-node trunk groups like you can for local trunk groups? I want to be able to route calls via off-node SIP trunks, but not loop start lines.

It seems to be all or nothing to the remote node, unless I’m missing something.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
Re: Outbound Access on Off-Node Trunk Groups
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure once you get to remote node ARS rules there apply. so as long as ARS doesn't use LS trunks you should be fine.  If you need to do something tricky like using ARS at remote to use LS only for local users, it's possible but about 10 times more complicated!!!

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
The ARS rules still apply at the remote site, but I can't limit outbound access on the specific trunk group.

I want just the local analog fax ports to route over the loop start lines at Node 2. I want IP phones at Node 2 to route just over the SIP trunks; that's easy, and works just fine.

The problem is I want IP phones from Node 1 to use just the SIP trunks at Node 2. If the loop starts are listed first in the route group, remote calls are routed over that trunk group even though the remote phone isn't granted outbound access.

The trunk group allows outbound access to be granted to specific off-node stations, but doesn't make a difference is the off-node station is there or not, calls still route over that trunk group. I can list the SIP trunk trunk group first and deny outbound access to the local fax ports, but that really isn't the right way to deny access to the loop start lines for remote IP phones.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
Remove the LS ports from ARS entirely, and change the faxes' ASSOCIATED EXTENSIONS/OUTGOING EXTENSION to be 92XXX (the number of the LS trunk group).  You may need to change the HOUSE PHONE setting on faxes to that group or 8, if it's currently 92000 (ARS).  Now faxes will only use LS, and nothing else throughout the network will use LS.

This is pretty easy and straightforward.  If this still doesn't do what you want I can tell you how to write incredibly complicated ARS rules to accomplish the same goal.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »
I need ARS for the fax ports, for a few hundred dial patterns. I have fax servers at two nodes sending out just shy of 2,000 faxes per day, for 80 offices. The fax servers place all calls as 10-digits, ARS determines how each call is actually dialed.

I have no problem with programming ARS, the issue is restricting outbound access on remote trunk groups.

This all came about due an Axxess upgrade; my 1024 port CPS system was split into 2 HX controllers with PS-1 servers.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
DND ON,

I don't want to open a can if worms here, but what exactly are you doing with the ARS rules for the Fax Server Dial String that would actually require ARS? If we can make it less complicated then it would probably be better for everyone involved, especially service or MAC technicians.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
Our central fax servers route faxes from physician tablets at 80 offices in 8 counties. All calls are formatted as 10-digit and the ARS dial rules determine exactly how the call is dialed. The call might be local to the office sending the fax, but not to the fax server on the other side of the state.

This was working just fine for several years via the PRIs on the Axxess system. The problem came up when we split the system into 2 HX controllers. Our carrier won’t guarantee fax delivery via the new SIP trunks, so loop start lines were installed. Faxes are still a critical part of our daily operations, so we can’t take chances with delivery failure.

The issue isn’t ARS. The problem is limiting outgoing access to the loop start trunk group to just the analog fax stations. On the node where the trunk group resides, this isn’t a problem. However, off-node stations ignore the outgoing access permission and allow any phone to place calls via the loop start trunk group.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
DND ON,

So from where the Fax Server is located, Node 2, you would be prepending or absorbing digits based on the number being sent. I also assume that within those CO Trunk Groups you have only the stations that are allowed to call out of those in the Outgoing Access List so that it would block local stations from accessing them.

Within the Numbering Plan are you creating Dial Rules based on Area Code that only the Loop Start CO Trunk Group is in? If so you may make it easier on yourself by having all the numbers come in as 11 digits and then use the Absorb Pattern of the CO Trunk Group for the Loop Start Lines to remove what isn't needed from each number going out of it. This way you can remove the Loop Start Lines from the Numbering Plan and any calls coming from other nodes would only go out of the SIP Trunks.

To test it before implementing just set up a new CO Trunk Group and add an absorb pattern [1111] and then set up a phone to use that CO Trunk Group as its Outgoing extension and then dial 1111 plus your cell phone number and see if it goes to your cell phone. If this works then test it with one of your fax ports after setting up the absorb rules you would need and see if it works. In the end I think this is the simplest solution for you, but you could go with what Dwayneg's solution of an advanced ARS routing system; which works great too, but takes a long time to set up.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10