Author Topic: How to view MCD Log's?  (Read 4217 times)

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How to view MCD Log's?
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
Hi All,
I have a customer that has had intermittent issues regarding IP phones resetting on their own. Possible due to internal network issues, but hard to point the finger anywhere without conclusive evidence. Naturally when we get the ticket to take a look, it no longer occurs. This has happened to this particular customer (But different users) off and on for a couple weeks now, just enough to be a thorn in their side. My question is how does one go about looking at the MCD's logs to try and ascertain how and why this may be happening.

Thanks,
-Iron

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: How to view MCD Log's?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »
Export the logs to an excel file from the web interface, and then go back to the time of the instance, if you see a ton of phones disconnecting and reconnecting for no reason, it is likely a network issue... Mitel 3300 doesn't have any issues with this, so it my expectation is that the case. You might have to do some wireshark traces on a mirror port of the 3300 uplink port, they get huge fast, but might be more useful in finding the issue. When this occurs, look for large numbers of broadcasts just before it, there is could be a port loop somewhere.

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
Export the logs to an excel file from the web interface, and then go back to the time of the instance, if you see a ton of phones disconnecting and reconnecting for no reason, it is likely a network issue... Mitel 3300 doesn't have any issues with this, so it my expectation is that the case. You might have to do some wireshark traces on a mirror port of the 3300 uplink port, they get huge fast, but might be more useful in finding the issue. When this occurs, look for large numbers of broadcasts just before it, there is could be a port loop somewhere.

acejavelin,
That sounds good, I'd like to give that a go. What command would I use in the "Maintenance Commands" form to get these logs?

Thanks,
-Iron

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
Its not in maintenance commands, look in the logs section

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »
Its not in maintenance commands, look in the logs section

acejavelin,
Understood. Too bad that you don't get much more than the fact of a "Device Detection" status. But at least it gives you a time stamp when it re-connects. I reset my phone here in the office was able to verify such logs. When I look at their MCD I see no such logs during the time they specified to me. I have then re-asked the question of what exactly happens and they told me that the phone doesn't go completely dark/dead, but rather they would get an "Applications Loading" screen then it comes back online. But did say that it was enough to drop a call in progress. hmmm, maybe time to get wireshark out then. but like you said and as we all know PCAP's get large quick.

Thanks
-Iron

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
Set up your wireshark filters to only look at packets to/from a specific IP, that will cut down the size of the capture significantly.

Also, the Device Connectivity reports may be of some help, particularly if you have some network issues that are disruption the connection between the phone and the MCD. These are found in the "Maintenance and Diagnostics" section of EMS, under "IP Telephone Inventory".

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
If the phones do a "count down" before resetting, especially if it happens while the phone is answering a call or transferring a call, turn off ICMP redirects in the routers and switches.
I fought a long hard one once with that little bug.

Ralph

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
Set up your wireshark filters to only look at packets to/from a specific IP, that will cut down the size of the capture significantly.

Also, the Device Connectivity reports may be of some help, particularly if you have some network issues that are disruption the connection between the phone and the MCD. These are found in the "Maintenance and Diagnostics" section of EMS, under "IP Telephone Inventory".

lundah,
Not really sure what I'm look at in the "Device Connectivity" form(s) (All - Moved), and you're right I can setup the filters to mitigate the size of the Packet Captures.

If the phones do a "count down" before resetting, especially if it happens while the phone is answering a call or transferring a call, turn off ICMP redirects in the routers and switches.
I fought a long hard one once with that little bug.

Ralph

ralph,
That is an interesting thought. I poke around at that one to see if that helps this issue in any way. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks,
-Iron

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10