Author Topic: Inbound Caller ID Showing Incorrectly  (Read 2375 times)

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Inbound Caller ID Showing Incorrectly
« on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Hey Guys,
I got a customer that has a Mitel 5000 with SIP trunks. The SIP Provider terminates to our Edgemark SBC Router, then to Mitel 5000. This customer has about 70 IP phones, mostly the 5330/5340 style. Only one user has reported that when people call her DID, the caller ID information is incorrect. For example she would see: Bob Jones - 206-555-1212, but it would really be John Smith - 206-555-1213 on the phone. I have verified that it was just a mistaken identity situation (e.g. someone using someone else's phone) nor is it a caller ID spoofing scenario. Both the client she talks to and the caller ID are both customers of theirs but are completely unrelated. I'm inclined to think it is carrier related, but wanted to ping you guys to see if this issue has been encountered by anyone before.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Inbound Caller ID Showing Incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:43 PM »
Irongladiator,

You will need to trace the call through the system back to the carrier to see what happened. My guess is that this has happened only once so far, but you never know you may get lucky and see a pattern.

Thanks,

TE

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
Irongladiator,

You will need to trace the call through the system back to the carrier to see what happened. My guess is that this has happened only once so far, but you never know you may get lucky and see a pattern.

Thanks,

TE

TE,
As you know the 5000's logs get over written quite quickly so you almost have to be Johnny on the spot when it comes to getting a SIP trace out of them (Lest of course you set it up so it'll grab more) SIP providers generally like to see call examples or SIP traces of the stuff. I just wanted to know if it was the 5000 acting up and if you guys seen anything like that before. I have reached out to our customer and am having them keep a log of when it happens again. (e.g. Time, Date, number displayed versus number called, etc.)

Thanks,
Iron

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
Irongladiator,

If you have OAI available to you it makes it so much easier to trace calls down, but if you don't then could put a laptop in the mix running Wireshark to capture the SIP traffic and then use a SIP Analyzer program to see what is going on.

Thanks,

TE

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
TE,
Understood. Once I have my PCAP, got any suggestions on a SIP analyzer program?

Thanks,
Iron

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
Irongladiator,

I use SIP Workbench, but there are plenty of free open source products out there to choose from.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10