Author Topic: Configuring PSAP Number  (Read 3506 times)

Offline MaxxBreak

• View Profile
Configuring PSAP Number
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
Hello,

I'm a network guy, but don't work with phones much, yet alone Mitel but we have one location that has the AX 3300 model PBX, in a hotel environment.  Today is my first time looking at this system and I've had no training on it.  The guy who set this up set it up so all 911 calls from the rooms go the front desk.  And 911 from the front desk gets directed to our PSAP number which appears to be set in the "Digit Modification Assignment" form which is referenced to a COR group in the "Route Assignment" form (I think?).  Like I said, I'm new and this is what I gather just from browsing the config forms, so does this sound right so far? 

Anways this functionality is not what management desires, and they wish for any 911 call to go directly the PSAP, regardless of what COR, as well as 99911 (99 is what we use for external dialing).  Currently, the 99911 does not do anything, so I need to add this somehow as well as change the guest rooms to dial directly to the defined PSAP number.  I was hoping this would be as easy as creating a system speed dial, but it doesn't appear to be the case as it says that 911 is already defined elsewhere. 

I did a LOCATE EXTENSION 911 and got this back:

The number refers to a remote directory number.                                 
Remote DN to CEID 2, routing digits 8852.                                       

I've attached a couple screenshots of various configuration forms.

If it comes down to it, I'm willing to send someone a couple $ for helping me out in a pinch. 

Offline MaxxBreak

• View Profile
Re: Configuring PSAP Number
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:10 PM »

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
It sounds like someone really screwed that up. You shouldn't intercept emergency calls and send them to the operator. If 911 is a RDN I would say delete it and correct the ARS. You would need to add 99911 as well. You would need to strip those digits and insert the PSAP numbers.

Offline MaxxBreak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
It sounds like someone really screwed that up. You shouldn't intercept emergency calls and send them to the operator. If 911 is a RDN I would say delete it and correct the ARS. You would need to add 99911 as well. You would need to strip those digits and insert the PSAP numbers.

Yes, this was never the functionality that management wanted, I'm not to sure why it was set up in this way and why it was never realized until a (luckily minor) incident occurred the other day.  I'm not a phone guy, so I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish this or how to configure ARS.  Additionally, I do not intend to leach this forum to walk me through the process of making this configuration change, so I'm willing to pay someone here or donate to this forum in exchange for some one on one assistance.

On what forum is it that 911 is actually being "intercepted"?

On what form do I need to modify the behavior of the originating extension?  for instance, a guest room calls and rings at the front desk, but the front desk calls and it rings correctly to the PSAP that I've specified.  Where should I look for changing the guest rooms to ring directly at the same PSAP number? 

I've found that the PSAP number for the front desk appears to be configured from the "Digit Modification Assignment" form.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:36:56 AM by MaxxBreak »

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
I would recommend finding a local Mitel partner to do this for you. It should be some simple programming, but when it comes to connecting callers to 911, it would be well worth spending the $ on having someone certified on the 3300 do it.

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
It sounds like since 911 is found in the remote directory number form that it is likley a phone or key appearance at the front desk. This would need to be removed and ARS setup to direct 911 and 9911 out to the PSAP. Not an easy thing to do without knowing more about your system. As suggested might be best to seek out a vendor.

Offline MaxxBreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've managed to figure this out and learn a lot along the way.  I had backups of the config first of all, so if I broke anything it would be easy to restore.  (I needed to install Java Version 2 to get the backups to work, what is up with that?  :(  )

Anyways, I learnt the command "LOCATE NUMBER" and "LOCATE EXTENSION" which were extremely helpful in tracking things down and learning about what each number / extension means in the system.  After that I created a new Class of Restriction Group that included the front desk as well as the guest rooms COR number and modified the emergency route list to included this new COR group.  After some extensive testing, I've verified that everything works with management and they seem happy now. 

This has honestly went from a stressful, hair pulling experience for me and turned into a very fun, self esteem boosting problem to take on.    I've been doing networking for a few years and have avoided it like the plague, but now I'm intrigued and honestly considering getting more into VOIP.  If that turns out to be the case, I may stick around here.  :)

Also, the guy who set this up made the dialing plan so that you dial the room number directly... Unfortunately there is a room 911, so it would ring there when dialing 911 unless you dialed 99-911, which would register with our ARS leading digit assignment.  We will probably be redoing our dialing plan because of this. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:34:52 PM by MaxxBreak »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10