Author Topic: Method to kill a process on 5000CS?  (Read 4807 times)

Offline jpitor

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Method to kill a process on 5000CS?
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Hi all - I've got a few runaway processes using up tons of CPU, and I can't figure out how to kill them.  Using the "top" command via the ssh utility in sysadmin&diag, I can see there's 2 processes "avdap" and "perl" using anywhere from 60% to 90% cpu resources.  This corresponds to the messages I'm seeing in the avdap_log.txt file, which has hundreds of lines saying over and over:

"EMAILDLV]VPIM: Read empty line in attachment area"

I think the problem is related to the voicemail > email synchronization that we have turned on.  It's like the system is continuously trying to convert a waiting voicemail into email attachment, and getting hung up.  This problem persists even after a full system restart.

Now, normally when using the top command, you should be able to kill a process by typing "k", identifying the PID, and confirming Yes.  If I try that, the prompt just says FAILED, operation not permitted.  Any ideas?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Method to kill a process on 5000CS?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
jpitor,

Wow, that is not a good way to shut down voicemail. Have you tried the simple way by just telling the system that it doesn't have a voice mail system? You could also go into the web browser and shut it down that way. You may just want to shut down the UM and then do a reboot and see if that works. If you are still having problems you will need to get Mitel Tech Support to get into the Command Line and clear out the offending messages.

Were you trying to convert the messages to .MP3, I find that eats up a lot more processing power than just converting it to .WAV and it is not recommended to use .MP3 unless it is going to a Cell Phone other similar device to be listened to.

Thanks,

TE

Offline marcolive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
Something seems to be stuck somewhere. I don't think killing avdap process will clear it.  I would call Mitel support.

I know previous releases had bugs with email attachements.

You won't be able to kill processes with SSH. SSH access has a very limited user level and I never found a way to login as root.

Good luck!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »
I run into this a lot in an large, busy, insurance office where they record really long conversations, like well over 30 minutes, and the system is converting it to a WAV file, it might take an hour plus of near 100% CPU utilization. Are you sure these are not valid instances running converting long messages?

Offline jpitor

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
I run into this a lot in an large, busy, insurance office where they record really long conversations, like well over 30 minutes, and the system is converting it to a WAV file, it might take an hour plus of near 100% CPU utilization. Are you sure these are not valid instances running converting long messages?

Could be that as well, except I'm the only one who knows how to use the record feature - but it's been a while since I did that.  Our CPU has been pegged at 100% usage solid for the entire week, without any relief.

We do have a contract w/ Mitel reseller, and they couldn't diagnose the problem, so they've kicked it up to Mitel directly.  Still haven't heard back.  Our system is so slow that inbound callers have to wait upwards of 15-20 seconds to interact with the autoattendant, and internal users may as well take a nap while waiting for the voicemail prompts to respond.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:53 PM »

Could be that as well, except I'm the only one who knows how to use the record feature - but it's been a while since I did that.  Our CPU has been pegged at 100% usage solid for the entire week, without any relief.

We do have a contract w/ Mitel reseller, and they couldn't diagnose the problem, so they've kicked it up to Mitel directly.  Still haven't heard back.  Our system is so slow that inbound callers have to wait upwards of 15-20 seconds to interact with the autoattendant, and internal users may as well take a nap while waiting for the voicemail prompts to respond.
Is your system setup for remote access? Check your syslog file for shadowuser entries, indicates your system is being hacked... Most of the time when I see high CPU usage for an extended time, that's it.

Offline jpitor

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Is your system setup for remote access? Check your syslog file for shadowuser entries, indicates your system is being hacked... Most of the time when I see high CPU usage for an extended time, that's it.
Only accessible from lan, and I have checked firewall logs and packet captures - nothing out of the ordinary.

Tech Electronics - per your earlier suggestion, is disabling the voicemail system a destructive option?  In other words, if I disable and then re-enable, do I lose all of the currently defined mailboxes and messages?  I'm running 5000CS 6.0 with the onboard voicemail if that matters.  Also I don't see any area to do this via the admin webpage.

Really grasping at straws here.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 06:07:15 AM »
Now, normally when using the top command, you should be able to kill a process by typing "k", identifying the PID, and confirming Yes.  If I try that, the prompt just says FAILED, operation not permitted.  Any ideas?

That will be because the process you're trying to kill is owned by someone else, and the user you're running top as doesn't have the necessary privileges to kill it. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10