Author Topic: Upgrade from Rel 9  (Read 2826 times)

Offline matthew

• View Profile
Upgrade from Rel 9
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
I've been assigned a job to perform an upgrade on a ~400 user system (mostly IP devices with 2x ASU), taking it from 9.0.2.28 to MCD6.0 SP3. I know I need to do the intermediate step of taking it to MCD4.0 SP4/10.0.4.26 first, however I have a couple of questions.

- The system doesn't currently have an ARID configured, although the AMC account holder says that Software Assurance has been applied for the system. Should I configure the ARID in the system prior to performing the upgrade, or just when the system comes up after the upgrade (I intend to do an upgrade via SI)?

- I'm not sure if the system is using Flexible Dimensioning. Almost all the Current dimensions are the same as the Defaults, except for a couple that are smaller than the defaults.

- I know I need to migrate from Classic to Extended database model. There are some pre and post migration checklists, but I can't see any instructions on actually performing the migration?

- Do I perform the pre-migration steps prior to upgrading to 4.0, or after?

- In the pre-migration checklist, it asks "Are there any outstanding deltas in ops" and says to "Check for deltas in ops." OK, what does that actually mean?

- I've been told to expect some errors to do with the directory. Can I import the csv from 9 to correct these, or do I need to re-key all the entries?

- Are there any other tips or traps I should be aware of? I'll be doing this on a weekend by myself, so I'd like to go in with as much information as possible.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
Re: Upgrade from Rel 9
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 03:49:33 AM »
- The system doesn't currently have an ARID configured, .... Should I configure the ARID in the system prior to performing the upgrade, or just when the system comes up after the upgrade (I intend to do an upgrade via SI)?

No ARID generally means it was licensed manually offline, you can enter the ARID during the upgrade when using SI

- I'm not sure if the system is using Flexible Dimensioning. Almost all the Current dimensions are the same as the Defaults, except for a couple that are smaller than the defaults.

Ive had once where the dimension data restored to default. Take a backup and just make note of the current details

- I know I need to migrate from Classic to Extended database model. There are some pre and post migration checklists, but I can't see any instructions on actually performing the migration?

- Do I perform the pre-migration steps prior to upgrading to 4.0, or after?

The command you are looking for is "MIGRATION PRECHECK", you will need to run this after upgrading to 4.0 but before converting the database

- In the pre-migration checklist, it asks "Are there any outstanding deltas in ops" and says to "Check for deltas in ops." OK, what does that actually mean?

Do you use ops manager? If not it is not a problem

- I've been told to expect some errors to do with the directory. Can I import the csv from 9 to correct these, or do I need to re-key all the entries?

Ive havent had issues here, so cant really answer here

- Are there any other tips or traps I should be aware of? I'll be doing this on a weekend by myself, so I'd like to go in with as much information as possible.

What model of phone system do you have? 3300 MX - stop now you can not upgrade to 4.0, 3300 MXe or MXe III no hardware limitation (Im going to rule out a CX as if i recall it cant run that many users)
I am assuming a single controller?
Do you have any additional services (eg MAS, contact centre, MBG etc, if you do check their requirements and upgrade paths first)

universal ASU or ASU II? (I cant remember if the univeral ASU is still supported or not, ASU II is fine)

Backup, backup, backup

do you have instructions to load the software using vxworx? if it fails you will need to resort to this method (using a console cable)

make sure to run the "upgradebootrom all" command after each upgrade (i think they removed the requirement as of 6 or 7, but better safe than sorry)

when running the "load ipdevice <ipdeviceid1> to <ipdeviceid2>" limit it to 100 devices at a time then when done check the IP Telephone Inventory for offline handsets that may require a manual reboot.

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
Thanks, ghost. That's helpful.  :)

Offline marcolive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »
Can't remember if version 9 required 512mb of RAM... but double check to be sure!

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
Can't remember if version 9 required 512mb of RAM... but double check to be sure!

Yes Mcd 4 (release 10) requires 512MB ram, this is one reason the Mx can not be upgraded. Early Cx came with 256 (but can be upgraded unlike the Mx) but I can rule out him running a Cx with the fact he has an ASU. And MXe came with 512

But point taken as it might be read by someone else who has a CX

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:57:23 PM »
but I can rule out him running a Cx with the fact he has an ASU

Didn't know you couldn't connect an ASU via a cim module :-) I think maybe the 400 user would rule the CX out.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:21:31 AM »
Didn't know you couldn't connect an ASU via a cim module :-)

I keep forgetting that you can get a CIM expansion card (I do know that CX dont have CIM ports by default)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10