Author Topic: Help! Block area codes on Mitel SX-200 ML  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Overkill

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Help! Block area codes on Mitel SX-200 ML
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
We have an old PBX that was installed by a company we have since parted ways with, and I need some help if somebody here would be so kind (I don't know the culture on this forum, but my experience so far with the people who are versed in this tech has not been particularly pleasant :-\)

I have figured out the username/password combination to log in after using a combination of the defaults listed online for various mitel products, hooray!  I was able to enter maintenance mode and change the time, and I was able to (I think) even fix the DST settings (after remembering that I was told once that you had to press escape, then the option, to navigate the menu...)

The main reason I gained access to the device though, is so that we can block Canadian area codes, since AT&T is charging us over $1/minute for the calls.  Can anybody help me with where to go/what has to be done?  I usually don't need a lot of hand-holding, but this is kicking my butt.  It has been AGES since I've used anything this archaic and I'm simply lost.

I was told that our device does not have a web GUI, despite having two ports on the back (J5 and J6) for an RJ-45 connection.  Is this true?  I tried to hook them up to our network switch and no lights came on, no IP was assigned.  One of the ports has T1 written above it in pen, but it isn't connected to anything (was before my time that this office had T1).

Thanks,
Overkill

P.S. - I have http://pbxbook.com/mitel/sx200.pdf and http://edocs.mitel.com/UG/EN/2ICP_MYADMIN_UG_R3_EN.pdf open in other tabs, and I'm open to other reference suggestions!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:26:34 PM by Overkill »

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Block area codes on Mitel SX-200 ML
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
If your system is a Sx-200 ML and you don't see any other Mitel boxes that say SX-200 ICP, then more than likely your system is not IP enabled.

The RJ45 port thats labeled T1, is for a type of digital connection to the phone company for trunking (lines).

The systems uses ARS (Automatic Route Selection) to determine the path of outbound calls. Take a look at form 26 I believe.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »
Changing the ARS to block area codes can be a challenge if you've never been trained on the system.
There's a bit of risk you could block all calls.
In general, you need to 1) create a route that has a restricted COR.  2) Point the CA area codes to the new route.
It may be easier to ask ATT to block those calls.   If they wont do it then you may want to consider switching carriers.
But, I'd recommend that you find a local service company.   You have an older system.  If something were to happen to it you'd be out of business until you can find someone.

Ralph

Offline Overkill

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:35 AM »
If your system is a Sx-200 ML and you don't see any other Mitel boxes that say SX-200 ICP, then more than likely your system is not IP enabled.

The RJ45 port thats labeled T1, is for a type of digital connection to the phone company for trunking (lines).

The systems uses ARS (Automatic Route Selection) to determine the path of outbound calls. Take a look at form 26 I believe.
Thanks, this is what I was expecting to hear; appreciate the confirmation!  :)  I'll also check out that form and report back.

Changing the ARS to block area codes can be a challenge if you've never been trained on the system.
There's a bit of risk you could block all calls.
In general, you need to 1) create a route that has a restricted COR.  2) Point the CA area codes to the new route.
It may be easier to ask ATT to block those calls.   If they wont do it then you may want to consider switching carriers.
But, I'd recommend that you find a local service company.   You have an older system.  If something were to happen to it you'd be out of business until you can find someone.

Ralph
I appreciate the risks involved, but we're willing to give out a shot. We have identified a vendor that can help but the premium we would pay makes it worth the risk; the system is for legacy/failover purposes and we have an asterisk VoIP system in place now that handles most of our calls.  I'm a quick study, and if I fall, well go with plan 2.

Any tips for those steps? Where to start poking around, etc?

Thanks for your input (both of you) this gives me an outline of what needs to happen :)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
I don't remember the form numbers off the top of my head but start by looking at the ARS digits dialed.
Get a feel for what's in there.
Then go to the COR form and pick a number such as 10.  You want to have all other CORs restricted from it.
Next go to ARS routes.   Pick a blank one.   You should see other routes there.   Pick a trunk group from one of them.  Since all calls will be blocked it really doesn't matter what one you choose.
Create a new route in the blank you you chose.  Assign the trunk group and then newly restricted COR you created.
Next go to the ARS digits dialed form.  If you dial 9 to get out, edit that one.   
Add all the CA area codes there and point it to the newly created route you created.
Test.

Ralph

Offline Overkill

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
I don't remember the form numbers off the top of my head but start by looking at the ARS digits dialed.
Get a feel for what's in there.
Then go to the COR form and pick a number such as 10.  You want to have all other CORs restricted from it.
Next go to ARS routes.   Pick a blank one.   You should see other routes there.   Pick a trunk group from one of them.  Since all calls will be blocked it really doesn't matter what one you choose.
Create a new route in the blank you you chose.  Assign the trunk group and then newly restricted COR you created.
Next go to the ARS digits dialed form.  If you dial 9 to get out, edit that one.   
Add all the CA area codes there and point it to the newly created route you created.
Test.

Ralph
Hero Member indeed.  Many thanks; if I get this working, I'll be the hero sysadmin :)  I'm very glad I didn't encounter what I was originally expecting here :D

For reference, I've taken a screenshot of the forms:

Thanks for all of the support <3

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
I'm very glad I didn't encounter what I was originally expecting here

What were you expecting?
We're like the friendliest people on earth here.  ;D

Ralph

Offline Overkill

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
I need some help if somebody here would be so kind (I don't know the culture on this forum, but my experience so far with the people who are versed in this tech has not been particularly pleasant :-\)
Read my post, jerk :P (just kidding!)

Also, it appears that there were already blocks in place (900/976), and that they used route #200 (which is just left blank in the route definition table) to do it.  Does this sound right?

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »
Sounds like they just route them to a dead end trunk group. Yes, that's one way to do it.

Offline Overkill

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Well, I gave it a shot...and it worked!

At first I thought it didn't; I had to go back into the list and look at examples.  There's a distinction between 1403 and 403; I assumed there was not and that it would look for 403 anywhere.  Fixed :D

I also managed to switch the phones into night service when i was tinkering with DST and/or time settings yesterday (not sure how)...and there's no *44 feature code listed in form 02... >.> thoughts?

Offline Overkill

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:26:47 PM »
Well, I gave it a shot...and it worked!

At first I thought it didn't; I had to go back into the list and look at examples.  There's a distinction between 1403 and 403; I assumed there was not and that it would look for 403 anywhere.  Fixed :D

I also managed to switch the phones into night service when i was tinkering with DST and/or time settings yesterday (not sure how)...and there's no *44 feature code listed in form 02... >.> thoughts?
Figured it out; superkey + no softkey 4x + yes softkey + change softkey + yes softkey
:)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10